Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by…

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (original 1987; edition 1991)

by Douglas Adams

10,144145282 (3.9)2 / 282
Member:keristars
Title:Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Authors:Douglas Adams (Author)
Info:Kindle converted content - orig. Pocket Books
Collections:Books I own
Tags:20th century, fiction, origin:britain, humor, form:e-book, mystery, speculative fiction, time travel, series:dirk gently, series, quantums, place:london

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (1987)

English (143)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (145)
Absolutely senseless, nothing makes sense. If you are expecting more Hitchhiker's greatness, don't pick this up, they have nothing in common. ( )
  AlienIndie | May 20, 2016 |
I'm re reading this its one of my all time fave books, i like it more than his better known trilogy.... hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. i wanted to re watch it too but the BBC don't understand how to do TV on demand.

troyka | May 5, 2016 |
Not up to Adams' usual level in my view. I have friends who disagree. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
A confusing story that wraps up toward the end, but isn't that just like life? You can't make heads or tails of what's happening until towards the end. And by then, it's too late. But the beauty of a book, is you can go back and read it all over again.

The individuals involved - Reg, Richard, Gordon, Susan, and Michael - all have roles to play in a wildly complicated mystery that pre-dates human life - in fact all life on the planet, and it takes Dirk Gently, aka Svlad Cjelli, to solve it, with the help of a salt cellar.

A must-read for Adams fans, but don't expect to understand the complicated tangle right away. I did, and I should have read this as one does Adams' other works, and that is to sit back and enjoy the ride. Even when cats (or horses stuck in a bathroom) are involved... ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
The humor quality that is Adams' trade mark are here, that kind of british humor I love and with characters that remind me that of P.J. Woodhouse's books. But being a Douglas Adams book I guess I was hoping for more laughs and more life philosophy the sort of thing I loved about the Hitchhiker's series. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jeans, LionelCover illustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: "All
Things are fundamentally
Interconnected."
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
Of-the-mill detective-time
Travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,788,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible