Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by…

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (original 1987; edition 1991)

by Douglas Adams

10,175148282 (3.9)2 / 284
Member:keristars
Title:Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Authors:Douglas Adams (Author)
Info:Kindle converted content - orig. Pocket Books
Collections:Books I own
Tags:20th century, fiction, origin:britain, humor, form:e-book, mystery, speculative fiction, time travel, series:dirk gently, series, quantums, place:london

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (1987)

English (146)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (148)
I love the Dirk Gently books even more than The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Acerbic wit and the folly of mankind are dealt up with a dose of surreal and a bit of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. ( )
  HeleneE | Jun 24, 2016 |
I am aware of some of Douglas Adams' books but have never read any till now. This caught my eye as it is a detective story. I wasn't expecting such an oddball cast of characters and a plot that came from outer space...but I did enjoy it!

Dirk Gently is a self styled detective, whose business sign in the window states:
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
We solve the 'whole' crime
We find the 'whole' person
Dirk's explanation of his methods: "The term 'holistic' refers to my conviction that what we are concerned with here is the fundamental interconnectedness of all things. I do not concern myself with such petty things as fingerprint powder, telltale pieces of pocket fluff and inane footprints. I see the solution to each problem as being detectable in the pattern and web of the whole. The connections between the causes and effects are often much more subtle and complex than we with out rough and ready understanding of the physical world might naturally suppose."

After reading that I hesitated to read on, but the mix of characters; the Electric Monk, Richard McDuff, Gordon Way, Reg and the rest were each interesting on their own. How they all wove together into the plot and the ending solution arrived at intrigued me. So I read on. And was glad I did.

A definitely bit of a wild ride and not anything like any detective story you expect. But a run ride, none the less.
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
The Dirk Gently books loosely follow the private (“holistic”) detective Dirk Gently, but honestly he’s just one of a group of characters. That’s the great thing about Douglas Adams: you don’t get a story resolving around one heroic main character; everyone is the protagonist in their own personal story. I can’t even explain what the plot of these books. They’re complicated and full of coincidence, and eventually resolve themselves into a story, if not necessarily a plot. ( )
  Andibook | Jun 14, 2016 |
Absolutely senseless, nothing makes sense. If you are expecting more Hitchhiker's greatness, don't pick this up, they have nothing in common. ( )
  AlienIndie | May 20, 2016 |
I'm re reading this its one of my all time fave books, i like it more than his better known trilogy.... hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. i wanted to re watch it too but the BBC don't understand how to do TV on demand.

troyka | May 5, 2016 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jeans, LionelCover illustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: "All
Things are fundamentally
Interconnected."
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
Of-the-mill detective-time
Travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,735,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible