Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by…

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (original 1987; edition 1991)

by Douglas Adams (Author)

9,516128304 (3.9)2 / 252
Member:keristars
Title:Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Authors:Douglas Adams (Author)
Info:Kindle converted content - orig. Pocket Books
Collections:Books I own
Tags:20th century, fiction, origin:britain, humor, form:e-book, mystery, speculative fiction, time travel, series:dirk gently, series, quantums, place:london

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (1987)

Recently added byKDKat5, jsv, private library, Bugetta, ntnng, Michael.Leamy, ColinOBlivion

English (126)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (128)
So this is where Bach comes from! ( )
  jefware | Aug 10, 2014 |
Es ist Jahre her, dass ich dieses Buch gelesen habe. Ich weiß natürlich, dass es absolut großartig ist, und dieser Eindruck wird sich mit Sicherheit nicht ändern, aber nachdem ich letztens den Pilotfilm zur BBC-Serie "Dirk Gently" gesehen habe, die hoffentlich (bitte!) weiter produziert wird, ist mir doch aufgefallen, dass ich kaum noch etwas von der Handlung weiß. Also, ab mit damit auf den Lesestapel. ( )
  Telaara_Dunwin | Aug 10, 2014 |
Recognise this?

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure dome decree:
Where Alph the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

Or this?

Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea

Well, any readers of [Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency] who are not familiar with either of the poems by Coleridge that those verses come from may struggle a little with the plot! Actually the more I think about it, even if you are familiar with those poems (which I was), and the significance of the 'man from Porlock' in the writing of Kubla Khan (which I also was) then you might struggle a little with the plot (which I did). But it's all good fun.

Richard MacDuff ends a dinner engagement at his old Cambridge College, with the sinking realisation that he had also invited his long suffering girlfriend Susan Way, but forgotten to pick her up. And then he has compounded his guilt by inviting her for a romantic weekend away which he realises as soon as he puts the phone down is impossible due to the pressure of work being put on him by his boss (and Susan's brother) Gordon Way. But is climbing up to Susan's third floor flat via a rickety drainpipe (just to remove the message tape from her phone) really the work of a rationale man, and something that the normally sensible Richard would do? And why does Richard apparently see the irascible Gordon Way jump in front of his car when Gordon has seemingly been murdered hours earlier. A case that obviously calls for the talents of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective agency, run by Richard's old college friend Dirk Gently (or rather Svlad Cjelli as he was known before he was hauled off from the college in a police car and aquired the sort of notoriety which made changing his name a sensible option).

A good read this, if one that is dated by the number of references to the technology of the 1980's when it was written. ( )
1 vote SandDune | Jun 16, 2014 |
Read the Hitchhikers’ Guide ‘trilogy’ many years ago, so this is the first of Adams’ books that I’ve read since then. I loved the books I read back then. I didn’t love this one at all.

Dirk Gently is basically an earth-bound version of Ford Prefect: smug, charming and infuriatingly right about everything. So, there’s no originality there. Columbo-esque, the detective doesn’t appear until at least a third of the way through the novel, well after the crime has been committed and the victim is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

It’s at about this point that, for me, the wheels came off. The characters weren’t engaging, the writing wasn’t as witty as I know Adams can be and I found myself wishing I hadn’t chosen it as the book to help me stave off boredom on an overnight flight to the UK. I didn’t find the detective added anything to the rapidly disintegrating plot and more fool me for expecting a detective story to have an ending that explained what had gone before. I was left wondering

why I’d bothered.

Okay, yes, the Adams genius for pithy wit and comment is there. The novel starts out very hopefully with a brilliant description of an electric monk which bears a curious resemblance to a human. But it doesn’t last. I was expecting more in this vein and instead got what seems to be a number of ideas that Adams had at the time and tried to cram all into one novel. It’s a shame really.

I’ve also recently picked up an old copy of The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Not sure how much I’m looking forward to that now… ( )
  arukiyomi | Jun 14, 2014 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jeans, LionelCover illustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: "All
Things are fundamentally
Interconnected."
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
Of-the-mill detective-time
Travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible