Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency…

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Douglas Adams

9,754134296 (3.9)2 / 265
Member:HatsForMice
Title:Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Pan Books (1988), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Sci-Fi, Comedy, Bit Weird

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (1987)

English (132)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (134)
This was an OK book, occasionally funny but not as great as I'd hoped it would be. It's been a long time since I read any Douglas Adams, and I think this might have appealed more to me when I was a teenager. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
A good read and one that I have gone back to on occasion. It's not Hitchhiker but it is a good read in it's own right. ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
I know I read this before, but I have little to no memory of the experience. I don't know why. This story is wacky good fun in the way only a Douglas Adams story could be with holistic detectives, electric monks, annoyed horses, breaking and entering, wayward ghosts, angry secretaries, and other oddities. Quite humorous and enjoyable, as long as you don't get lost along the way.

In related news, I've just learned that there is a Dirk Gently miniseries. Based on the trailer, the miniseries tries to play it as straight as possible and there doesn't seem to be evidence of the science fiction elements from the novel, but I would have to watch the series to be sure, which I am certainly willing to do. ( )
  andreablythe | Mar 20, 2015 |
That was a fun read. I liked how Douglas Adams tied everything together...

I think I'll reread the Hitchhiker's Guide soon... ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
I stumbled over The hitch-hiker series in my late teens and it just blew me away. This was literature of a variety I couldn’t even imagine existed. I ended up reading all parts (except for the last one) at least four times, and have extremely fond memories of lying naked in my narrow dorm room bed with Flea when we were just starting out as a couple, reading aloud and giggling our asses off. I also read Dirk Gently back then, and remember liking it, but not falling quite as hard.

Revisiting this some twenty years later, I can see that it is quite different. Where the hitch-hiker books are mostly very thin story lines acting as coat hangers for episodes and wild ideas, Dirk Gently is actually a very (well, -ish) tightly woven plot. Admittedly, a rather silly one, including time travel, electric monks, cheap magic tricks, pizza, horses in bathrooms, cutting edge computer savvy a la late eighties and Coleridge the poet, but nevertheless a plotline from A to Z (well, -ish). It’s ever so close to derailing a lot of the time, but stays fun and somewhat engaging as plots go. But Adams real strength is in the gags. There’s loads of fun detail here, much of which is just hinted at in passing (such as the poor lady in Gently’s building, who is *actually* giving French lessons), and the parts triumph over the whole. Not quite as fun as hitch hiking across the galaxy, but still surely more fun than most other books out there. ( )
  GingerbreadMan | Dec 1, 2014 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jeans, LionelCover illustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: "All
Things are fundamentally
Interconnected."
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
Of-the-mill detective-time
Travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,181,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible