Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency…

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Douglas Adams

10,468159273 (3.9)2 / 299
Member:HatsForMice
Title:Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Pan Books (1988), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Sci-Fi, Comedy, Bit Weird

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (1987)

Recently added bycharky, dann_schuler, Wereon, Jared_Runck, private library, wandaly, Jon_Hansen

English (156)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (158)
Filled with seemingly random absurdities that fall into place near the end of the book. I suspect a re-reading would help in fully grasping its 'fundamental interconnectedness', which is Dirk's definition of holistic. ( )
  wandaly | Mar 21, 2017 |
3.5 ( )
  staceyfronczak | Mar 12, 2017 |
It's clever. It's plotty. It's Douglas Adams. It just might be a bit _too_ clever and plotty and Douglas Adams even for me. There's a nice Douglas Adam's quote where he admits that the ending is Really Quite Confusing: "Ahem. All I can say is that it was as clear as day to me when I wrote it and now I can't figure it out myself. Sorry about that. I'm actually thinking about it at the moment as I've been re-reading the book in preparation for doing a screenplay. I've got a little bit of sorting out to do..."

But it is full of warm fuzzies of there being music and maths at the depth of the universe, and all the little throw away resolutions, like how the sofa got stuck halfway up the stairs, are wonderful. ( )
1 vote atreic | Jan 15, 2017 |
the same exact type of humor found in the Hitchhikers' books. So I liked this. Your mileage might vary though, depending on your frame of mind. I recommend either being stupid tired or almost drunk to truly appreciate the comedy contained in this novel. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I had read this before in college, and thought it wasn't as good as the Hitchhiker's Guide books. This time I listened to the radio play version and felt much the same. It has that satirical British humor of course, and the absurdity you expect from Adams, but I thought that the different plot threads were hard to follow and the whole thing was just a bit too far on the absurd scale to be completely enjoyable. However, this was definitely preferable to The Cuckoo's Calling as far as private eye books go. I just couldn't get into that one. Dirk Gently was entertaining and had a Doctor Who vibe that kept me interested. ( )
1 vote jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, Douglas NoëlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jeans, LionelCover illustrationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic -The author
To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse
Janet Thrift
This time there would be no witnesses.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Wikipedia description: Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, due to the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot in fairness be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have paid him yet. He maintains an office at 33a Peckender St. N1 London, with telephone number 01-354 9112 (407-2882 in the advertising campaign for the book).
Gently has an odd facility for accurate assumptions, as every wild guess he makes turns out to be true. Once a student at St. Cedd's College, Cambridge, he left in disgrace when he attempted to acquire money by selling exam papers for the upcoming tests. His fellow students were convinced that he had produced the papers under hypnosis—in reality, he had simply studied previous papers and determined potential patterns in the questions. However when his papers turned out to be exactly the same as the real papers, to the very comma, he was arrested and sent to prison.
Dirk Gently says: "All
Things are fundamentally
Interconnected."
(passion4reading)
Your usual, run-
Of-the-mill detective-time
Travel-ghost story.
(passion4reading)

The investigations of Dirk Gently, a private detective who is more interested in telekinesis, quantum mechanics and lunch than fiddling around with fingerprint powders, produce startling and unexpected results.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,310,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible