John Ransom's Diary by John Ransom

John Ransom's Diary (1881)

by John Ransom

120None99,996 (4.18)1

Generally I like to share my own particular thoughts on a work. However, the previous reviewer (in my opinion) has presented an outstanding, and accurate, summation of this work. Highly recommended for its compelling historical content and user friendly writing style. ( )
  la2bkk | Mar 9, 2014 |
It's difficult to critique someone's diary -- especially when that someone survived the hell-hole that was the Andersonville POW camp during the Civil War.

I think for most anyone who is at all familiar with the Civil War, the name Andersonville brings to mind the most horrific of conditions, thousands dead, survivors who came out looking like skeletons. John Ransom's diary recounts the day-to-day events of a union soldier taken POW and eventually sent to that most infamous of Confederate prison camps. It is sometimes repetitious because life was repetitious -- day after day, scrounging for food, fighting off the "raiders" -- fellow prisoners who were as brutal as their captors -- dealing with the grossest of unsanitary conditions, starvation, disease, cruelty, death. (So many dead!)

I must say that I can hardly believe Ransom survived it all, and I get the feeling he's surprised, too. I'm impressed that he had the tenacity to keep up the writing through all his trials -- trading food for pencils and notebooks to write, entrusting filled notebooks to fellow prisoners when he was too incapacitated to carry them all. Ransom had a great eye and ear for detail, and somehow managed to maintain some semblance of humor through much, if not most, of the horror he endured. His diary is a fascinating account of survival with honor. Recommended. ( )
  tymfos | Nov 7, 2010 |
A moving, first person account of what Andersonville prison life was like. Would be a great book for high school students studying the Civil War. ( )
  berylmoody | Nov 13, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425141462, Mass Market Paperback)

John Ransom was a 20-year-old Union soldier when he became a prisoner of war in 1863. In his unforgettable diary, Ransom reveals the true story of his day-to-day struggle in the worst of Confederate prison camps--where hundreds of prisoners died daily. Ransom's story of survival is, according to Publishers Weekly, "a great adventure . . . observant, eloquent, and moving."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:46 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,459,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible