Leaves of Grass (Bantam Classics) by Walt…

Leaves of Grass (Bantam Classics) (original 1855; edition 1983)

by Walt Whitman

7,20454758 (4.13)1 / 269
Member:mashiox
Title:Leaves of Grass (Bantam Classics)
Authors:Walt Whitman
Info:Bantam Classics (1983), Edition: 0, Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (1855)

English (46)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Romanian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
I feel like I read it after reading Paper Towns! ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Whitman sings the song of America like no other poet I know--the outsized joy and pain, the affinity for common folk and the love of nature and the sheer overwhelming feeling of every sight and sound and industrious noise around him. "I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear," he wrote. Because of this some are tempted to see Whitman as a poet of pure exuberance--like a proto-hippie or, worse, like a garrulous Hallmark card. But Whitman doesn't shy away from pain at all--he embraces it like he embraces everything else--not in a way that cheapens or ignores it but in a way that feels it deeply too. He did, after all, endure the civil war (he served as a nurse in army hospitals--we might shudder to think what those were like) and wrote about the experience in his typically direct, personal way.

Speaking of the personal, for many years I always brought an old tattered copy of Whitman with me backpacking, and whenever I had to endure a particularly awful commute, I'd listen to Whitman to calm down, to step outside myself and encounter something beautiful amid the soul-crushing traffic. Whitman has become like an old friend to me now, one I'll no doubt keep coming back to, no matter my station in life or what I'm going through. ( )
1 vote MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
Got to book 27

The good parts of this book is that it was very shocking material for the time by focusing on general sexuality and the material world instead of just being devoted to the spiritual.

With that said I really hate his writing style. He tends to ramble on and on almost aimlessly. If you were to take a single stanza out and put it in a speech it would have a huge impact and may be a rallying point but having it over and over again makes the poem suffer from a bad case of diminishing returns.

While some of his shorter poems are fantastic most are the long-winded mess making this book such a pain to read. I actually had to resort to free audiobooks about midway so that way I could do other things while trying to finish this book.

Heather.Dennis | Nov 29, 2017 |
Finally! ( )
  tstan | Sep 4, 2016 |
Whitman's verse-technique is still of interest to the prosodist. His basic rhythm is an epic one—the Virgilian dactyl-spondee—and his line often hexametric. He sometimes sounds like Clough's Amours de Voyage, though it would be hard to imagine a greater disparity of tone and attitude than that which subsists between these two Victorians. Nevertheless, both Clough and Whitman saw that the loose hexameter could admit the contemporary and sometimes the colloquial..

He has only one subject—acceptance of the life-death cycle and reverence for it—and, since he uses an invariable technique, Leaves of Grass has a unity to be found in few other poets' collected volumes... But Whitman's aim is rather to present a universal democratic vista in terms of the American myth. The America of his poems sometimes seems as symbolic as that of Blake, and the bearded figure that strides across it with a big hello—the Answerer, all things to all men—is as much a home-made archetype as the Giant Albion.
added by SnootyBaronet | editObserver, Anthony Burgess

Nature may have given the hint to the author of the "Leaves of Grass", but there exists no book or fragment of a book, which can have given the hint to them. All beauty, he says, comes from beautiful blood and a beautiful brain... Who then is that insolent unknown? Who is it, praising himself as if others were not fit to do it, and coming rough and unbidden among writers to unsettle what was settled, and to revolutionize, in fact, our modern civilization?

You have come in good time, Walt Whitman! In opinions, in manners, in costumes, in books, in the aims and occupancy of life, in associates, in poems, conformity to all unnatural and tainted customs passes without remark, while perfect naturalness, health, faith, self-reliance, and all primal expressions of the manliest love and friendship, subject one to the stare and controversy of the world.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe United States Review, Walt Whitman (Sep 1, 1855)

Walt Whitmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kouwenhoven, John A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Loving, JeromeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spanfeller, JimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come, said my Soul,
Such verses for my Body let us write, (for we are one,)
That should I after death invisibly return,
Or, long, long hence, in other spheres,
There to some group of mates the chants resuming,
(Tallying Earth's soil, trees, winds, tumultuous waves,)
Ever with pleas'd smile I may keep on,
Ever and ever yet the verses owning - as, first, I here and now
Signing for Soul and Body, set to them my name,
Walt Whitman
One's-self I sing, a simple separate person,
Yet utter the word Democratic, the word En-masse.
I celebrate myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me, as good belongs to you.
Melange mine own, the unseen and the seen,

Mysterious ocean where the streams empty,

Prophetic spirit of materials shifting and flickering around me,

Living beings, identities now doubtless near us in the air that we know not of,

Contact daily and hourly that will not release me,

These selecting, these in hints demanded of me.
Whitman revised Leaves of Grass at numerous points in his lifetime, frequently with significant changes between editions. (e.g. 93 pages for the original 1855 edition vs. 439 pages for the final 1891-92 edition.)  This work contains those entries for which the edition is unknown.

If your edition is here and you know which version it is, please separate it and combine it with the correct entry.

Un ritratto, un testo in prosa e dodici poesie: così nascevano nel 1855, le prime "Foglie d'erba", in cui Emerson ravvisò immediatamente "l'esempio più straordinario di intelligenza e di saggezza che l'America abbia sin qui offerto". Le "Foglie" avrebbero continuato a crescere per il resto della vita di Whitman, attraverso otto ulteriori edizioni, fino a diventare quel massiccio, monumentale volume che l'autore consacrò, "sul letto di morte", come definitivo e inalterabile. Ma è nel 1855 che, con le prime "Foglie", nasce un poeta. E' qui che Whitman supera i vincoli formali di metro, rima, strofa, punteggiatura, per affidarsi a un vagabondaggio della mente e dei sensi.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553211161, Mass Market Paperback)

One of the great innovative figures in American letters, Walt Whitman created a daringly new kind of poetry that became a major force in world literature. Leaves Of Grass is his one book.  First published in 1855 with only twelve poems, it was greeted by Ralph Waldo Emerson as "the wonderful gift . . . the most extraordinary piece of wit and wisdom that America has yet contributed."  Over the course of Whitman's life, the book reappeared in many versions, expanded and transformed as the author's experiences and the nation's history changed and grew.  Whitman's ambition was to creates something uniquely American.  In that he succeeded.  His poems have been woven into the very fabric of the American character.  From his solemn masterpieces "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd" and "Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking" to the joyous freedom of "Song of Myself," "I Sing the Body Electric," and "Song of the Open Road," Whitman's work lives on, an inspiration to the poets of later generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:38 -0400)

As energetic and diverse as the American life it describes, Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass has been loved by generations for its celebration of a brash young nation and one man's exuberant spirit. First published at the author's expense in 1955, this collection of poems was revised and enlarged throughout Whitman's lifetime, and is presented here in the final or "Deathbed edition" of 1892.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014303927X, 0451529731

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,557,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible