Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial by James…

Seriously, what's up with these Star Wars books that take forever to get going? Do you guys even know what book series you're writing? I like character work as much as the next man, but in Star Wars it should happen during the action, not before it. I don't know how Luceno even got this one out to over 350 pages, because what happens is: Han Solo mopes and investigates some stuff with some guy who I guess was in another book, he gets in some fights, the Yuuzhan Vong attack a space station he's in, he stumbles into a plot, victory. Meanwhile, the actual plot is happening to bunch of characters who I am pretty sure I would not care about even if I did remember their fleeting appearances in The Black Fleet Crisis.

There's a three-page section where Luceno just describes technical modifications that happened to the Millennium Falcon in other books. Seriously!

Admittedly, Luceno is good at writing Han Solo, and that saves Hero's Trial. Han gets all the best lines, and is a total badass (as always), and his interplay with Droma is great. (I love how Han expects Droma to have heard of him, and Droma's like, "your real name's Han Organa?") The way he lucks and gambles his way through the assault on the Jubilee Wheel and the Queen of Empire are both utterly perfect. Also I really like it when Luke and Leia decide to fly in to help. And Luceno treats C-3PO as an actual character, which I think no novelist other than Stover has ever bothered to do. It's better than Stackpole's efforts, but the New Jedi Order is going to have to do better than this in the long term.

The New Jedi Order: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »
  Stevil2001 | Apr 25, 2014 |
There were some things I liked about this book, and some things I didn't. On the positive side, there's the character of Droma the Ryn, and the camaraderie he shares with Han Solo, even on short notice. I liked how he helped Han return to being the character we all know and love after his period of mourning. And I really like the complexity of the relationship between Han and Anakin.

On the other hand, I thought there were way too many "blasts from the past" included, in terms of dialogue echoes from the movies, reminiscences, and characters either popping up or being mentioned from other books. Sure, some of that is fine, but this book had a lot of it. And the whole thing about C3PO worrying about his own mortality was just stupid. In fact, I wrote (several years ago) in my review of Vector Prime that one element that can make or break a Star Wars novel is how the author handles C3PO, and Luceno doesn't quite have a handle on him here (I mean, seriously..."Master Solo"? A small point, but how did that ever make it into print?). That doesn't make this a terrible example of Star Wars lit, but it's definitely cringeworthy in places. ( )
  jonwwil | Jul 15, 2010 |
Luceno does a good job of pacing his book to match the tempo of the Star Wars films, with events moving along briskly (including the usual bizarre coincidences that I attribute to the Force helping events along), and depicts Han Solo's improvisation well. He knows the universe well enough to depict the diversity of a galaxy full of planets and species, and makes plenty of references to the other stories the characters have been through. His prose gets a bit carried away at times, and I wonder if his thesaurus is a bit hyperactive. ( )
  slothman | Oct 4, 2008 |
Han is grieving over the loss of Chewbacca, so he takes off on a quest against the Yuuzahn Vong and gets involved with a Vong plot to spread plague to the Jedi. The story is OK, but the writing is only mediocre and there are too many cases where the author tries to be cute by working dialogue from the original movies into this storyline. ( )
1 vote sdobie | May 3, 2007 |

Is contained in

For my young son Jake,
and The New Jedi Order
If the system's primary was distressed by the events that had transpired on and about the fourth closest of its brood, it betrayed nothing to the naked eye.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345428609, Mass Market Paperback)

Merciless attacks by an invincible alien force have left the New Republic reeling. Dozens of worlds have succumbed to occupation or annihilation, and even the Jedi Knights have tasted defeat. In these darkest of times, the noble Chewbacca is laid to rest, having died as heroically as he lived--and a grief-stricken Han Solo is left to fit the pieces of his shattered soul back together before he loses everything: friends, family, and faith.

Refusing help from Leia or Luke, Han becomes the loner he once was, seeking to escape the pain of his partner's death in adventure . . . and revenge. When he learns that an old friend from his smuggling days is operating as a mercenary for the enemy, he sets out to expose the traitor. But Han's investigation uncovers an even greater evil: a sinister conspiracy aimed at the very heart of the New Republic's will and ability to fight--the Jedi.

Now Han must face down his inner demons and, with the help of a new and unexpected ally, honor Chewbacca's sacrifice in the only way that matters--by being worthy of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:26 -0400)

As attacks by an alien force threaten to devastate the New Republic, Han Solo seeks solace from his grief over the death of Chewbacca and embarks on a quest to avenge his partner's death.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible