dismiss

Catch me if you can : den forunderlige, men…

Catch me if you can : den forunderlige, men sandfærdige beretning om… (original 1980; edition 2003)

by Frank W. Abagnale, Stan Redding

Frank W. Abagnale's, alias Frank Williams, Robert Conrad, Frank Adams, and Robert Monjo, was one of the most daring con-men, forgers, imposters, and escape artists in history. In his brief but notorious criminal career, Abagnale donned a pilot's uniform and copiloted a Pan Am jet, masqueraded as the supervising resident of a hospital, practiced law without a license, passed himself off as a college sociology professor, and cashed over $2.5 million in forged checks, all before he was twenty-one. Known by the police of twenty-six foreign countries and all fifty states as "The Skywayman," Abagnale lived a sumptuous life on the lam, until the law caught up with him. Now recognized as the nation's leading authority on financial foul play, Abagnale is a charming rogue whose hilarious, stranger-than-fiction international escapades and ingenious escapes, including one from an airplane, make Catch me if you can an irresistible tale of deceit.… (more)
Member:mskarbiniks
Title:Catch me if you can : den forunderlige, men sandfærdige beretning om den yngste og snedigste plattenslager gennem tiderne
Authors:Frank W. Abagnale
Other authors:Stan Redding
Info:Kbh. : Lademann, 2003.
Tags:fraud

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W. Abagnale (1980)

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Imposter by Mark Seal (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers who enjoy dramatic tales of swindlers chased by the FBI may like both Charlatan and Catch Me If You Can, which chronicle the lives of men who successfully deceived everyone around them for years, amassing fortunes along the way.… (more)

Amateur doctor,
and professional horndog,
full time con artist. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Well that was very entertaining! IÛªm not sure I believe half of it, but if even half is true it‰Ûªs still quite a tale. It was fun to go along for the ride, however exaggerated.

If you‰Ûªre not familiar with the story, in the 1960s Frank Abignale Jr went on a crime spree of amazing creativity and daring. He posed as an airline pilot, a doctor, a lawyer, and a college professor; all the while passing fraudulent checks and racking up a small fortune. Even more amazing, he pulled all this off while he was still a teenager.

The "real" Frank Abagnale as portrayed in this book was quite arrogant and a bit unlikeable. The book has a photo of him as an older man and he reminds me a bit of Henry Winkler, which is funny because young Frank has a Fonzie-like affect on women: he snaps his finger and they come running. But overall this was a quick and enjoyable read. I can‰Ûªt wait to rewatch the movie now. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
The story of the master impersonator and forget that was the basis for the movie starring Leo DiCaprio. Abagnale writes like he’s channeling Mickey Spillane, but he still spins an entertaining tale. And unlike in the movie, he doesn’t sound very remorseful about his youths escapades has ( )
  etxgardener | Nov 4, 2019 |
Follow the adventures of Frank Abagnale Jr. as he assumes the roles of pilot, doctor, and lawyer, all before the age of 21. As a master of disguise and a brilliant forger, Abagnale charmed his way through a much more innocent time in American history, the 1960s. It was a time of trust, when people generally respected authority, bank security was lax, and people were more gullible.

Throughout his career as a con artist, the FBI was following his trail. There were many close calls; yet, Abagnale was always a step or two ahead of the law. Abagnale was both cunning and very lucky. Nevertheless, all good things must come to an end. It was only a matter of time before the FBI caught up, and Abagnale's inevitable downfall was as spectacular as his life on the run. Follow the author from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows as he gets caught in his own web of lies.

The Bottom Line: This entertaining, quick read is filled with lots of twists and turns. Abagnale's story will keep you on the edge of your seat as he cons just about everyone he meets. A life of crime just came naturally to the author, and yet there is a redemptive quality to his tale. Highly recommended for anyone interested in true crime, con artists, law enforcement, adventure, and ethical dilemmas.

For the complete review including Book Club Notes, please visit the Mini Book Bytes Book Review Blog. ( )
  aya.herron | Oct 5, 2019 |
This book was inundated with similes, almost to the point that it detracted from the story. "I was as smooth as a fox" "those banks were ripe for the picking, and I was the over-eager gardener" etc. Overall though, the story was great and the cons that Frank was able to pull off were mind-boggling. Although the writing wasn't anything to write home about, the story kept me coming back for more. I don't recommend listening in audiobook (or at least the one I listened to) because it didn't include the epilogue that explained how he finally got caught--major cliffhanger!! I had to borrow the book from the library to finish the story. Recommended! ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |

Abagnale, Frank W.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Redding, Stanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my dad
A man's alter ego is nothing more than his favorite image of himself.
book; not movie

Former con man Frank Abagnale, an authority on financial foul play, tells stories of the adventures he had while living the high life as a criminal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,628,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible