Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a…

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake (original 1980; edition 2000)

by Stan Redding, Frank W. Abagnale

Member:occupymuskegon
Title:Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake
Authors:Stan Redding
Other authors:Frank W. Abagnale
Info:Broadway (2000), Paperback, 277 pages
Tags:Ex Libris David G. Nye

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W. Abagnale (1980)

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit: The Astonishing Rise and Spectacular Fall of a Serial Imposter by Mark Seal (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers who enjoy dramatic tales of swindlers chased by the FBI may like both Charlatan and Catch Me If You Can, which chronicle the lives of men who successfully deceived everyone around them for years, amassing fortunes along the way.… (more)

I read this book because I was in between book club reads and I needed something quick to read. This turned out to be just that. I had seen the movie, so I knew the basic storyline. I have to say the movie glamorized it much more than the book did. It was a bit of a dry read, I mean the story itself was interesting. Like a I said a quick read, but not a literary masterpiece.

If you want to read my full review see my blog: http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com/ ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
Recently I enjoyed the movie and thought the book might be more interesting with more details. However, Abagnale's character is unpleasant, smug, self-satisfied, not a bit like the movie con-man. As fiction it would be a fun read, as true-crime it was annoying. ( )
  VivienneR | Jun 9, 2018 |
3.5 stars

Frank Abagnale Jr. was only 16 years old in the 1960s when he left is father’s home (his parents had recently separated) and spent years impersonating an airline pilot, a pediatrician, a lawyer, a teacher, before switching to producing counterfeit cheques. Once he was finally caught, after spending time in prison in a few different countries, he ended up helping the FBI with recognizing scammers.

This was a good book. The most interesting parts to me was the impersonations, rather than the info about the cheque counterfeiting. Also, once he was caught, the prison systems in the different countries was very different (France vs. Sweden); I was surprised at how different it was in each country. I liked the movie that came out a while back (and now want to re-watch!), but although the book seemed short, there was still more in the book. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 25, 2018 |
Digital audio book narrated by Barrett Whitener.

Subtitle depends on the edition: The Amazing True Story of the Most Extraordinary Liar in the History of Fun and Profit! -or- The True Story Of a Real Fake.

Frank Abagnale began his career as a forger, check-kiter and con-man when he was just sixteen years old. His first victim was his own father. By the time he was twenty-one he had passed himself off as a pilot, a pediatrician, a lawyer, and a professor of sociology, and he had cashed over $2.5 million in forged checks. He was known by the police forces of every state in the U.S. as well as those in more than twenty foreign countries. He was arrested more than once, and even served some time in European prisons, but more often he charmed his way out of the situation, or pulled off a daring escape.

Why did he do this? He blamed it on “the ladies.” He was enamored of women, and he wanted to show them a good time.

It’s a fascinating memoir of his years of crime, full of daring escapades, humorous situations, and outlandish lies. Abagnale’s audacity is matched only by his charm. He was eventually captured, and did serve time, but he went on to become a world-renowned authority on counterfeiting and document security, working with the FBI’s Financial Crimes Unit.

Barrett Whitener does a fine job narrating the audio book. Great pacing and Abagnale’s charming personality shines through. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 3, 2018 |
Having seen the movie, I knew what to expect in part, but it was much more interesting when you found out why Abagnale became who he did. The escapades are amazing and one can't imagine anyone getting away with that same level of deception today.....even more amazing still is the fact that he has become a sought after expert on deceivers and thieves and forgery.......quite a miraculous recovery. ( )
  TiffanyHow | Oct 3, 2017 |

Abagnale, Frank W.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Redding, Stanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my dad
A man's alter ego is nothing more than his favorite image of himself.
book; not movie

Former con man Frank Abagnale, an authority on financial foul play, tells stories of the adventures he had while living the high life as a criminal.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767905385, Paperback)

When this true-crime story first appeared in 1980, it made the New York Times bestseller list within weeks. Two decades later, it's being rereleased in conjunction with a film version produced by DreamWorks. In the space of five years, Frank Abagnale passed $2.5 million in fraudulent checks in every state and 26 foreign countries. He did it by pioneering implausible and brazen scams, such as impersonating a Pan Am pilot (puddle jumping around the world in the cockpit, even taking over the controls). He also played the role of a pediatrician and faked his way into the position of temporary resident supervisor at a hospital in Georgia. Posing as a lawyer, he conned his way into a position in a state attorney general's office, and he taught a semester of college-level sociology with a purloined degree from Columbia University.

The kicker is, he was actually a teenage high school dropout. Now an authority on counterfeiting and secure documents, Abagnale tells of his years of impersonations, swindles, and felonies with humor and the kind of confidence that enabled him to pull off his poseur performances. "Modesty is not one of my virtues. At the time, virtue was not one of my virtues," he writes. In fact, he did it all for his overactive libido--he needed money and status to woo the girls. He also loved a challenge and the ego boost that came with playing important men. What's not disclosed in this highly engaging tale is that Abagnale was released from prison after five years on the condition that he help the government write fraud-prevention programs. So, if you're planning to pick up some tips from this highly detailed manifesto on paperhanging, be warned: this master has already foiled you. --Lesley Reed

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:06 -0400)

The world's most sought-after con man wrote $2.5 million in bad checks, practiced law without a license, practiced medicine with no medical training, and co-piloted a Pan Am jet with a fake license. Slated for production at DreamWorks Entertainment, and now updated with a new Afterworld, "Catch Me If You Can" contains all of the elements of the most wildly imaginative fiction, except that Abagnale's exploits actually happened.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,950,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible