Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars: The New…

Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 2) (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Michael A. Stackpole

Member:amieFETT
Title:Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 2)
Authors:Michael A. Stackpole
Info:LucasBooks (2000), Edition: 0, Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

Onslaught by Michael A. Stackpole (2000)

scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Star Wars The New Jedi Order Dark Tide 1: Onslaught is a good continuation of the NJO series. I believe it's an improvement from the first. Michael A. Stackpole fills this novel with plenty of great x-wing action reminiscent of his contributions to the X-Wing series. It's an easy read and is fairly short but the story is solid and I like the Jedi action better than the first. Overall, this Star Wars tale is filled with excellent action, adventure and character development. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Revan97 | Sep 5, 2014 |
Reading this validated my belief that the timeline I'm going off is miscalibrated; there's no way that the first two volumes of Invasion could fit between this and Vector Prime, as the Yuuzhan Vong have clearly not been heard from since then.

Like Vector Prime, this book suffers from starting dully, with lots of political scenes and squabbling; I'm not sure why the powers-that-be behind The New Jedi Order were so into story thread of government denial of the Yuuzhan Vong threat, because it is utterly dull. Who wants to see our heroes constantly arguing with a bunch of idiots?

I remember liking Stackpole's X-Wing novels, but I don't think he's at his best when away from that milieu. Things are a little too mechanical in his writing, a little too black-and-white, and while that's suited for stories for fighter pilots, it doesn't really work for the Jedi: the Force doesn't come across as a mystical presence, but a tool: in his books, Jedi always talk about "TK" (i.e., telekinesis), and that just feels so incredibly un-Star Wars to me. Can you imagine Alec Guinness saying it? Also, characters are constantly lecturing each other on its correct use. Again, it's hard to be interested in the philosophical debate between Luke Skywalker and Kyp Durron when the narrative clearly thinks Luke is right and Kyp is an idiot.

Stackpole's at his best when dealing with Corran Horn, the Jedi without telekinesis but with great mind powers, which leads to some inventive scenes, and there's a great ground battle on Dantooine near the end of the novel, but it just takes too long for everything to get there and get going.

The New Jedi Order: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »
  Stevil2001 | Apr 25, 2014 |
A quick listen with some of your favorites from the Star Wars realm ( )
  lanes_3 | Jan 31, 2010 |
Being the visualizing reader that I am, this book was excellent from that point of view. The storyline is only advanced in a small amount, which is not unpleasant, but does lend a feeling that the entire NJO series will be short-lived in the timeline. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. ( )
  ryan.shuck | Mar 27, 2009 |
To Timothy Zahn
For all the obvious reasons, and a few more.
(Next time we're in Tasmania, I want to try driving.)
Standing there, on the bridge of his Nebulon-B frigate, the pirate Urias Xhaxin clasped his cybernetic left hand to the small of his back with his right hand.

It is a perilous time for the New Republic. Just when unity is needed most, mistrust is on the rise. Even the Jedi feel the strain, as rogue elements rebel against Luke's leadership. When alien invaders known as the Yuuzhan Vong strike without warning, the New Republic is thrown on the defensive.

Luke must wield all the awesome powers of a Jedi Master to defeat the gravest threat since Emperor Palpatine. As Leia Organa Solo and Gavin Darklighter lead desperate refugees in a fighting retreat from Yuuzhan Vong forces, Mara Jade, Jedi apprentice Jacen and Anakin Solo, Jedi Knights Corran Horn find themselves tested as never before by a faceless, implacable foe determined to smother the light of the New Republic forever beneath a shroud of darkest evil . . .

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345428544, Mass Market Paperback)

The Jedi are back and ready to rumble in Dark Tide 1: Onslaught, the second book to appear in Del Rey's five-year New Jedi Order story arc, which picks up events 25 years after A New Hope. Reading R.A. Salvatore's Vector Prime first--while not necessary (and some fans even recommend against it)--will help enormously in understanding the alien threat facing the New Republic, the sinister Yuuzhan Vong. The Jedi, under the now truly formidable Luke, must rise to beat back the biotech-wielding invaders, and we really get to see the Solo kids and good ol' Corran Horn shine. Lando and especially Han get short shrift (that's probably just as well in this new series), but Luke and Mara still manage to get a whole lot of lovin' going on. This is excellent work by the ever popular Stackpole (Rogue Squadron). --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

"When alien invaders known as the Yuuzhan Vong strike without warning, the New Republic is thrown on the defensive. Luke must wield all the awesome powers of a Jedi Master to defeat the gravest threat since Emperor Palpatine"--Page 4 of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,532,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible