The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

The Gone-Away World (2008)

by Nick Harkaway

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (ahstrick)
    Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk (artificialbunny)
    The Scar by China Miéville (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: New weird remade people. Plus pirates.
    Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (vwinsloe)
    Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson (knomad)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (KatyBee)
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (knomad)
    The History Of Our World Beyond The Wave: A Fantasy by R. E. Klein (ahstrick)
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending

English (89)  German (1)  All languages (90)
Loved the story, and that kept me going, imaginative and scary. The author's writing style, verbose, stylistic, disjointed, bombastic is not usually something I appreciate. In this case, the story and some characters were strong enough to hold me. I skipped untold numbers of words as they did not advance the story, or excite me. But read it, lovely story. ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
Masterful, hilarious and so much fun to read. I can't believe this is a first novel. Can't wait to read everything he's written. ( )
  ADLutz | Jan 8, 2019 |
I seriously loved this book. ( )
  cindiann | May 3, 2018 |
I didn't go into this expecting a post-apocalyptic kung-fu coming-of-age anti-corporate love story, but that's what I got, and I loved it.

I can't rate this book any higher. It has the rare status of being both a book I enjoy because it's got interesting characters and concepts, but also because it's really fucking entertaining, the whole time!

Combine that with some mind-twists, and also a humour that lets you know it's never taking itself too seriously, and this book nails it every time.

Worth re-reading at least once to catch all the little details. Worth re-reading (honestly) more than once because it's just really good. ( )
  atomoton | Apr 25, 2018 |
Nick Harkaway is a master of painting zany inside a deep meaningful novel. A truly unique experience and one of the few books that might actually read completely different upon a reread (which I will do someday). I loved the humor. I loved the characters and I loved the story. Read this story and let it take you in completely unexpected directions. Just when you think you have a grasp on where it is heading he hits you with a mallet. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Nick Harkawayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bates, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikhalkova, VivianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
This, I did.

-- T.E. Lawrence
For my parents.
You know who you are.
The lights went out in the Nameless Bar just after nine.
The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.

Alternate Title: The Wages of Gonzo Lubitsch

A hilarious, action-packed look at the apocalypse that combines a touching tale of friendship, a thrilling war story, and an all out kung-fu infusedmission to save the world.Gonzo Lubitch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studiedmartial arts together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go-Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But they quickly realize that this assignment is not all it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination. Unlike anything else, The Gone-Away World is a remarkable literary debut that will be remembered and rediscovered for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

Gonzo Lubitsch and his friends, the Haulage & HazMat Emergency Civil Freebooting Company, are called into action on a mission to save humanity when the Jorgmund Pipe, the only thing keeping the Livable Zone safe from the bandits, monsters, and nightmares left in the wake of the Go Away War, becomes engulfed by fire.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible