The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

The Gone-Away World (2008)

by Nick Harkaway

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (ahstrick)
    Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk (artificialbunny)
    Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson (knomad)
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (knomad)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    The History Of Our World Beyond The Wave: A Fantasy by R. E. Klein (ahstrick)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (KatyBee)

1.78
  johnrid11 | Feb 12, 2016 |
1.78
  johnrid11 | Feb 12, 2016 |
Vivid and exuberant, feels like a mix of Pynchon, Lethem, and Matt Ruff, though some of the more self-indulgent touches mark is as a first novel. (Not to mention first novel by the son of a bestselling author, but we won't go into that here.) I wondered after I read it if the author maybe only had this one book in him, or maybe on this one good book? I've read he's working on another, so I guess we'll see. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |
I hated every second. i loved every second. This is not usually my particular cup of tea but I read an excerpt and then needed to know what happened. This is a case where the eBook worked in the author's favor because I did not know how long this story was going to be, because I would have probably backed away, SLOWLY, when I saw the size of the actual book. There were times I wanted to give up, where I rued my own lack of imagination in that moment, but Harkaway gets you back in, he pulls you back, inch by inch, slowly. I thought I would hate the ending; I ended up loving the ending. And now, I cannot wait for Angelmaker. ( )
  Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |

Nick Harkawayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
This, I did.

-- T.E. Lawrence
For my parents.
You know who you are.
The lights went out in the Nameless Bar just after nine.
The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.

Alternate Title: The Wages of Gonzo Lubitsch

A hilarious, action-packed look at the apocalypse that combines a touching tale of friendship, a thrilling war story, and an all out kung-fu infusedmission to save the world.Gonzo Lubitch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studiedmartial arts together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go-Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But they quickly realize that this assignment is not all it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination. Unlike anything else, The Gone-Away World is a remarkable literary debut that will be remembered and rediscovered for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

Gonzo Lubitsch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studied kung-fu together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark, nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But quickly they see that this assignment is more complex than it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,200,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible