The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

The Gone-Away World (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Nick Harkaway (Author)

1,571947,256 (4.18)185
With a fire burning along the Jorgmund Pipe, a vital protection from the bandits and monsters left in the wake of the Go-Away War, Gonzo Lubitsch and his colleagues at the Haulage and HazMat Emergency Civil Freebooting Company are hired to put it out.
Member:ErasmusBee
Title:The Gone-Away World
Authors:Nick Harkaway (Author)
Info:Windmill Books (2009), 592 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:not-own, science fiction, war, post-apocalyptic, apocalypse, cp2019

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (2008)

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (ahstrick)
    Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk (artificialbunny)
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (knomad)
    The Scar by China Miéville (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: New weird remade people. Plus pirates.
    Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (vwinsloe)
    The Dervish House by Ian McDonald (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another look at hallucinogenic warfare.
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson (knomad)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (KatyBee)
    The History Of Our World Beyond The Wave: A Fantasy by R. E. Klein (ahstrick)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending

English (93)  German (1)  All languages (94)
This is one of the most extraordinary and inventive books I have ever read. The author just lays on layer after layer of strange, and manages to make it work by the sheer audacity of keeping going.

I'm deliberately saying nothing about content because much of the pleasure of this book comes from discovering the world it creates, so I don't think I can say anything descriptive without taking something away from that. Just read it! ( )
  eldang | Sep 18, 2019 |

eldang | Aug 11, 2019 |
Annoying! We are left hung in the middle of a crisis in the first section, so the author can take us leisurely into the past lives of his characters.
Drawn out so long, I abandoned them all. ( )
  2wonderY | Jun 5, 2019 |
This book was awesome! I highly recommend it to anyone who loves science fiction or hates the dehumanizing structures of corporations. The book is an excellent modern example of the former and a clever, articulate invective against the latter.

Corporations have been on my mind a lot lately, mostly because of non-fiction books and lectures I have come across, as well as recent political debates. I found it delightful to read a work of fiction that pulls a lot of those threads together and presents the ideas in a new way with strings of words that haven't been used before. His taxonomy of "pencilneck" company men was particularly enjoyable.

The book is an examination of the multiple personas that people have and the way that corporations exploit them. The company man is expected to squash his most human traits and to become a cog in the machine, with no qualms about immoral or inhuman actions. Those that are unwilling or unable to switch off their humanity are replaced by those who can.

I am surprised that I had not heard of this book before. It was published four years ago. I only happened to find it at the library because the paperback has a very bright orange cover that called out to me to pick it up. This book is the perfect piece of science fiction for our times. I hope some of my friends read it so I can discuss it with them. ( )
  joshuagomez | May 31, 2019 |
Pretty amazing. Exciting, innovative wild and only occasionally too wordy (roughly in the middle), hence 4 not 5 stars. ( )
  Swybourn | May 29, 2019 |

Nick Harkawayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bates, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikhalkova, VivianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
This, I did.

-- T.E. Lawrence
For my parents.
You know who you are.
The lights went out in the Nameless Bar just after nine.
The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.

Alternate Title: The Wages of Gonzo Lubitsch

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,215,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible