The Gone-Away World (Vintage Contemporaries)…

The Gone-Away World (Vintage Contemporaries) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Nick Harkaway (Author)

The Jorgmund Pipe is the backbone of the world, and it's on fire. Gonzo Lubitsch, professional hero and troubleshooter, is hired to put it out, but there's more to the fire, and the Pipe itself, than meets the eye. The job will take Gonzo and his best friend, our narrator, back to their own beginnings.… (more)
Member:Eggpants
Title:The Gone-Away World (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:Nick Harkaway (Author)
Info:Vintage (2009), Edition: unknown, 592 pages
Tags:to-read, follow-rev, auth-m, x-500-or-more

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (2008)

Recently added byAnnaBookcritter, scout101, Steve_Walker, jacintta, mandyo, crstimson, private library
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (ahstrick)
    Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk (artificialbunny)
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (knomad)
    The Scar by China Miéville (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: New weird remade people. Plus pirates.
    Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (vwinsloe)
    The Dervish House by Ian McDonald (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another look at hallucinogenic warfare.
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson (knomad)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (KatyBee)
    The History Of Our World Beyond The Wave: A Fantasy by R. E. Klein (ahstrick)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending

English (93)  German (1)  All languages (94)
huh, I was sure I reviewed this

3.5 stars

it's wonderful most of the time, but occasionally errs on the side of self-indulgence ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
Combine the style and optimism of [a:P.G. Wodehouse|7963|P.G. Wodehouse|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1198684105p2/7963.jpg] with the scope and digressions of Russian literature, add some absurdist sci-fi in the vein of [b:John Dies at the End|1857440|John Dies at the End (John Dies at the End, #1)|David Wong|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1189289716s/1857440.jpg|1858059], and you'll arrive at The Gone-Away World. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
This is one of the most extraordinary and inventive books I have ever read. The author just lays on layer after layer of strange, and manages to make it work by the sheer audacity of keeping going.

I'm deliberately saying nothing about content because much of the pleasure of this book comes from discovering the world it creates, so I don't think I can say anything descriptive without taking something away from that. Just read it! ( )
  eldang | Sep 18, 2019 |
Annoying! We are left hung in the middle of a crisis in the first section, so the author can take us leisurely into the past lives of his characters.
Drawn out so long, I abandoned them all. ( )
  2wonderY | Jun 5, 2019 |
This book was awesome! I highly recommend it to anyone who loves science fiction or hates the dehumanizing structures of corporations. The book is an excellent modern example of the former and a clever, articulate invective against the latter.

Corporations have been on my mind a lot lately, mostly because of non-fiction books and lectures I have come across, as well as recent political debates. I found it delightful to read a work of fiction that pulls a lot of those threads together and presents the ideas in a new way with strings of words that haven't been used before. His taxonomy of "pencilneck" company men was particularly enjoyable.

The book is an examination of the multiple personas that people have and the way that corporations exploit them. The company man is expected to squash his most human traits and to become a cog in the machine, with no qualms about immoral or inhuman actions. Those that are unwilling or unable to switch off their humanity are replaced by those who can.

I am surprised that I had not heard of this book before. It was published four years ago. I only happened to find it at the library because the paperback has a very bright orange cover that called out to me to pick it up. This book is the perfect piece of science fiction for our times. I hope some of my friends read it so I can discuss it with them. ( )
  joshuagomez | May 31, 2019 |

Harkaway, Nickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bates, MattNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mikhalkova, VivianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
This, I did.

-- T.E. Lawrence
For my parents.
You know who you are.
The lights went out in the Nameless Bar just after nine.
The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.

Alternate Title: The Wages of Gonzo Lubitsch

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,546,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible