The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

The Gone-Away World (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Nick Harkaway

Member:faganjc
Title:The Gone-Away World
Authors:Nick Harkaway
Info:Knopf (2008), Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:***

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (2008)

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (ahstrick)
    Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk (artificialbunny)
    Parasites Like Us by Adam Johnson (knomad)
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (knomad)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Industry gone wild creates apocalypse, yet survivors still work for the company. Surprising and touching ending
    The History Of Our World Beyond The Wave: A Fantasy by R. E. Klein (ahstrick)
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (KatyBee)

ordered for FF discussion ... // ... was not enjoyed & discussed.

Tried to read anyway. Could not get into it. Seems like it over-reaches, and doesn't live up to the hype.

Long sentences that have digressions and aspects of stream-of-consciousness and other awkwardnesses are not a sign of creative genius and cannot disguise lack of heartfelt and complex characters and a fully rich plot... which are flaws I can see coming in this book as I meander through the first dozen dramatic but unsatisfying pages.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I don't think I can say enough good words about this. Whatever hyperbole there is, isn't enough. This is the third copy I've bought for myself. I buy them, and give them away. I may knock on your door and say, "Have you heard about the Gone-Away World?"

It is another surreal, what the hell is going on, page-turning romp of a book. With an ending that makes you go 'wtf?' and want to start re-reading it almost immediately.

Please read it, and let me know what you think. ( )
1 vote A.E.Wasp | Apr 20, 2016 |
CLever and well-written sci-fi. ( )
  seschanfield | Mar 7, 2016 |
The narrator's tone is a cross between that of Pushing Daisies, Spider Jerusalem, and Kurt Vonnegut. Trippy, stylized, rambunctious and weird, with a highly political undertone. Years ago, mankind's most fearsome weapon was invented: the Go Away bomb. Simply put, it removed its targets from existence. Completely. But what was supposed to consequence-free proved to have fall-out beyond mankind's wildest nightmares--or rather, *comprised* of mankind's wildest nightmares. After months of fighting back intangible enemies and twisted chimera, a savior appears. The Jorgmund corporation has produced FOX, a liquid that dematerializes the unreal. With FOX constantly spraying above and about them, the remnants of humanity can go about their daily business as though nothing has changed.

When the pipe that sprays FOX is attacked, only the ragtag group of ex-covert ops soldiers that comprise the Haulage and HazMat Emergency Civil Freebooting Company can save the day. But before this, the Company's shining hour, we flashback to their childhoods and training. And that's where the fun really begins. Zaher Bey and his band of raucus, piratical revolutionaries; the nature of corporations; martial arts training; belling ones windows against ninjas; the gritty horror and boredom of war; falling in love; a fleet of desperately loyal mimes--all this and more!

There are some serious twists and turns in this book. Literally 350 pages in, the entire story is turned on its head--and I bought it completely. It made perfect sense. The twists, betrayals, paradigm shifts and last-minute reveals continue right until the very last few pages. THIS BOOK IS VERY EXCITING!

SPOILERY SENTENCES THAT I LOVED FROM THE LAST PARAGRAPH:
"The world we knew is gone for good this time. The new one is beautiful and dangerous. It is *us*." ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
1.78
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |

Nick Harkawayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biavasco, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guani, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
This, I did.

-- T.E. Lawrence
For my parents.
You know who you are.
The lights went out in the Nameless Bar just after nine.
The tree of nonsense is watered with error, and from its branches swing the pumpkins of disaster.

Alternate Title: The Wages of Gonzo Lubitsch

A hilarious, action-packed look at the apocalypse that combines a touching tale of friendship, a thrilling war story, and an all out kung-fu infusedmission to save the world.Gonzo Lubitch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studiedmartial arts together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go-Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But they quickly realize that this assignment is not all it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination. Unlike anything else, The Gone-Away World is a remarkable literary debut that will be remembered and rediscovered for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:56 -0400)

Gonzo Lubitsch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studied kung-fu together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark, nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But quickly they see that this assignment is more complex than it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,717,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible