Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your…

Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip,… (edition 2009)

by Rosalind Wiseman (Author)

Member:madisonwest4n6
Title:Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and the New Realities of Girl World
Authors:Rosalind Wiseman (Author)
Info:Harmony (2009), Edition: 2 Original, 448 pages

Queen Bees & Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence by Rosalind Wiseman

In Queen Bees and Wannabes, the author investigates girl cliques throughout adolescence. He identifies the different roles girls play in cliques and helps parents find ways to help their daughters navigate them and stand up for themselves. She also devotes chapters on sex, drugs, and alcohol in the high school years. I found parts of the book more helpful than others. There are times when the author makes it seems like all girls have these problems and if you don't agree with that you are in denial or naive. This bothered me a bit because it was nothing like my experience growing up (for me or my close friends). I knew cliques existed. I know there were people that partied and obsessed over boys, but that was far from the only path girls and boys traveled at my school. I don't think that I was an anomaly. I think this book does offer helpful suggestions for girls and their parents that are experiencing problems with these issues, but some of the assertions seemed outdated or based on anecdotal evidence rather than real data. For example, there was a bit about how youtube was a problem because girls could see music videos on the platform and that this will influence how girls view how they should look and act. I agree popular culture can have a negative effect on girls and that youtube can be a problem, but my experience has been that music videos are the least of the issue on the platform. In fact, I don't think any of my kids or their friends have an interest in music videos they way we did when I was in school. The same goes for fashion magazines. Although fashion blogs and online information can be a problem, I don't think my daughter or any of her friends would even consider buying a paper magazine. In short, this had helpful information that parents should read and be aware of, I just wish that it didn't have a tone of all girls react this way, do these things. A lot of kids do, but there are also those that don't. ( )
  Cora-R | Jun 17, 2018 |
This book is a wonderfully readable and rigorous resource for parents. It is packed with practical material that is cool and unswerving, regardless of the incendiary properties of the behavior being discussed. Wiseman has plenty of hands-on experience from her years as a speaker and youth program developer to rely on as she lets young girls tell their own stories in order to teach us about their world in order to reinforce her points. It makes it easier to listen to her, and it makes it easier to really hear our own children, which is something we can forget to do sometimes.

No matter, Wiseman is a formidable source of comfort and objectivity for both girls and parents, who gives girls ownership of their experiences, and asks parents to believe in their ability to grow and change. The direct and respectful discussion of the often difficult to understand world of growing girls reveals how much Wiseman loves her work with young people as well as the depth of her expertise.

I was relieved that this book was not just another series of complaints about teenage angst, but instead was a book that put what seem to be crazy teen behaviors into perspective and framed them in practical purpose.

From helping parents develop a healthy understanding of the kind of symbiotic relationship teens have with technology to decoding (or at least tolerating) negative and positive interactions between friends and enemies based on personality types and social structures, Wiseman makes sense. The simple acknowledgement of the complex cycle of growth and quest for independence makes girls suddenly and absolutely reasonable, even when they are aggravating.

There is no longer any reason to engage in battle! Read the book, you’ll see!

A review copy was received from the publisher in return for an honest review. This review and more at annevolmering.com. ( )
  avolm | Nov 29, 2016 |
Fantastically insightful presentation concerning the psychology and social environments of young girls. ( )
  NTG_Library | May 9, 2016 |
OH....MY...GOD... My young daughter will be a tween someday, then a teenager.... I will need help.

This was pointed out during a visit to the pediatrician. He recommended this book as a way to prepare for the coming tsunami of girlhood.

I still have a few years to go before. So the book left me terrified of what's to come.

Wiseman packs the book pull of useful strategies and anecdotes. It's hard to imagine that my delightful daughter will have to confront these issues. But I'd be a fool if I thought it would not happen. I need to be prepared, my wife needs to be prepared and my daughter needs to be prepared.

This book is must for anyone with a daughter. ( )
  dougcornelius | Jan 16, 2015 |
Just wanted to pick this up and see some of what may be in store for me in the next few years. Thought that some of this was interesting and I may come back to it at a later date as my daughter moves through higher grades. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Dedicated to Elijah, Elena, and all my students... I expect great things from each one of you and look forward to seeing you come into your own.

And

to Zoe---and the woman you are becoming.
Welcome to the wonderful world of your daughter's adolescence.

When Rosalind Wiseman first published QUEEN BEES & WANNABEES, she fundamentally changed the way adults look at girls' friendships and conflicts - from how they choose their best friends, how they express their anger, their boundaries with boys, and their relationships with parents. Wiseman showed how girls of every background are profoundly influence by their interactions with one another. Now, Wiseman has revised and updated her groundbreaking book for a new generation of girls living in the age of Facebook, IM and text message. Packed with insights about technology's impact on Girl World and enlivened with the experiences of girls, boys, and parents, the book that inspired the hit movie Mean Girls offers concrete strategies to help you empower your daughter to be socially competent and treat herself with dignity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

The co-founder of the Empower Program explains how parents can help their teenage daughters deal with cliques, gossip, substance abuse, boys and sex, and other challenges of adolescence, in a guide designed to help girls empower themselves during a tumultuous time of life. Enlivened with the voices of dozens of girls and parents and a welcome sense of humor, Queen Bees and Wannabes is compelling reading for parents and daughters alike.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,519,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible