When Will There Be Good News? by Kate…

When Will There Be Good News? (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Kate Atkinson

Member:reluctantm
Title:When Will There Be Good News?
Authors:Kate Atkinson
Info:Anchor Canada (2009), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, read in 2012
Rating:*****

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson (2008)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)

English (159)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (163)
The third book in Kate Atkinson's series of books about detective Jackson Brodie centers around a missing woman who no one has officially declared missing. There are some other various unanswered questions abounding but, unlike the previous two books, this title really only has the one central mystery. Perhaps because of that, this book was a little more predictable than the first two, at least in terms of that main plot. Still, it was an enjoyable read, littered with smaller mysteries here and there, unexpected turns, vivid characterizations, intelligent musings on violence against women and other unpleasant realities, and lots of literary references (including a number of spot-on Dickensian ones). Jackson himself is pretty quiet for a good-ish chunk of the book, but Louise Monroe from the second book re-appears and does a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of actually unpacking the mysteries. This was actually a refreshing change of pace and kept the series from becoming stale. All in all, I was entertained by this book and am looking forward to the next one in the series. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jun 6, 2015 |
I read this in 15 minute increments on the bike-so much fun. It reminded me that I once read mysteries voraciously. ( )
  jconnell | Feb 25, 2015 |
Everything came full-circle. All plots were resolved which is refreshing. No one likes loose ends. That being said, the book was weak in the middle. It was formulaic and predictable and everybody knew everybody which really, really got old. ( )
  briealeida | Feb 6, 2014 |
bookshelves: autumn-2013, mystery-thriller, hardback, paper-read, edinburgh, britain-scotland, series, devon
Read from September 18 to November 15, 2013

Princes Street.

Dedication: For Dave and Maureen - thanks for the many good times,
the best is yet to come.

We never know we go,
- when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it
And we accost no more. Emily Dickinson

Opening: The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.

Musical insert ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
This definitely falls into that category of literary mystery. As a mystery it is pretty good - not a 'stay up all night and finish the book in one sitting' type of mystery, but still a good solid story. As fiction, it was a more enjoyable story with complex characters who have interesting pasts that they can't seem to escape from. I will definitely read more of Kate Atkinson. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 27, 2013 |

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kate Atkinsonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...
These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

"On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison." "Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried." "Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend - Jackson Brodie - himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted." "As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,461,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible