When Will There Be Good News? by Kate…

When Will There Be Good News? (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Kate Atkinson

Member:reluctantm
Title:When Will There Be Good News?
Authors:Kate Atkinson
Info:Anchor Canada (2009), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, read in 2012
Rating:*****

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson (2008)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)

English (177)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (182)
This was my favourite book of the series, from the story to the characters it me engrossed in the story from the beginning to the end.

When I started the series, I wasn’t exactly a fan of the characters or the story, but the more I read into the series, the more I appreciated the authors writing style and the characters in the series – and this book helped with that a lot.

Reggie is what really made this book, I felt for her throughout the story, and I wanted to keep reading just so I would be able to find out what happened next for her, find out if she’d be okay. She was well written and fleshed out, making her a very realistic character. I also love Jackson Brodie, he was iffy for me when I started the series, but now that I’m in the third book, I don’t want to have to say goodbye to the character – while he’s a mess, he’s enjoyable to read about and is just an interesting character to read about.

The overall plot and mystery of this book also drew you in, I enjoyed how everything worked out in the end and working out the pieces for myself as I read the book.

Excellent read overall – probably the best book in the series

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - When Will There Be Good News? ( )
  bookwormjules | Dec 4, 2016 |
Charming but I think reading three in a row was detrimental to how much I liked the books. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I love Jackson Brodie. I want to marry him. Really, I do. And I want a dog like the one in this book. And I would adopt Reggie too. Kate Atkinson, dear God. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
My favorite of the Jackson Brodie books.

(I feel that I should have something more substantial to say, but honestly, that's the sum total of my opinion of this book: it's the best of the Jackson Brodie books.) ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Hard to say what it is that makes me like Kate Atkinson's writing so much... when I pick up one of her books it feels like she is just chatting to me. The story is occasionally confusing, through missing information, in the same way that real life is; sometimes coincidences are merely that, and there is no over-dramatisation, even through dramatic events - the train crash etc. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kate Atkinsonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...
These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

"On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison." "Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried." "Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend - Jackson Brodie - himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted." "As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,799,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible