When Will There Be Good News? by Kate…

When Will There Be Good News? (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Kate Atkinson

Member:reluctantm
Title:When Will There Be Good News?
Authors:Kate Atkinson
Info:Anchor Canada (2009), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, read in 2012
Rating:*****

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson (2008)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)

English (169)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (173)
I listened to this one on CD and it was well-read. There's a lot going on in this and I'm not sure I felt like Atkinson made it all work. I have a couple of her books in my tbr pile and I've got high hopes. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
When a mother and two of her children were murdered, a third child, six-year-old Joanna, witnessed the slaughter and got away. Now an adult she employs sixteen-year-old Reggie as a nanny. When Joanna disappears Reggie is suspicious, but the husband denies there is anything wrong. However, Reggie, in keeping with her devotion to Joanna, keeps up the search with the help of her new acquaintance, Jackson Brodie. As with all of Atkinson's stories, the plot has many threads that she is able to unravel and bring back together in a page-turner with a resounding and satisfying conclusion. This is the third in the excellent Jackson Brodie series. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 21, 2016 |
This is the second Jackson Brodie novel that I've read, having started with a much later one. I'm officially a fan and will be reading them all. Atkinson is a wizard at weaving a tale. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
A truly literary writer who doesn't flaunt her erudition. This one is a slow burn as we track along multiple plot lines until they begin to merge mid-book. And when they do, the pace picks up and finally loose plot ends are neatly tied up, not without a few satisfactory surprises. All that and Atkinson's insightful take on the world, and plenty of good humour. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Feb 9, 2016 |

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kate Atkinsonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crossley, StevenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostrophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?
Louise had been there, been there with Archie when he was little, at the empty play parks and deserted duck ponds, suddenly aware of the nutter's sloping walk, his shifting gaze. Don't make eye contact. Walk past briskly, don't draw attention to yourself. Somewhere, in some Utopian nowhere, women walked without fear. Louise would sure like to see that place.

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...
These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

"On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison." "Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried." "Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend - Jackson Brodie - himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted." "As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible