When Will There Be Good News? by Kate…

When Will There Be Good News? (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Kate Atkinson

Member:reluctantm
Title:When Will There Be Good News?
Authors:Kate Atkinson
Info:Anchor Canada (2009), Edition: 2nd Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:read in 2012, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson (2008)

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (hbsweet)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The novels have a similar tone. Both have private investigators who are hospitalized with memory lapses, and both have bright, engaging teenage characters readers will root for.
    The Sea Detective by Mark Douglas-Home (YossarianXeno)
    Odds Against by Dick Francis (hbsweet)

English (158)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (162)
Everything came full-circle. All plots were resolved which is refreshing. No one likes loose ends. That being said, the book was weak in the middle. It was formulaic and predictable and everybody knew everybody which really, really got old. ( )
  briealeida | Feb 6, 2014 |
bookshelves: autumn-2013, mystery-thriller, hardback, paper-read, edinburgh, britain-scotland, series, devon
Read from September 18 to November 15, 2013

Princes Street.

Dedication: For Dave and Maureen - thanks for the many good times,
the best is yet to come.

We never know we go,
- when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it
And we accost no more. Emily Dickinson

Opening: The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.

Musical insert ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
This definitely falls into that category of literary mystery. As a mystery it is pretty good - not a 'stay up all night and finish the book in one sitting' type of mystery, but still a good solid story. As fiction, it was a more enjoyable story with complex characters who have interesting pasts that they can't seem to escape from. I will definitely read more of Kate Atkinson. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 27, 2013 |
(warning: very large sentence ahead) I feel as if my disconnect with the characters and my confusion about unnecessary background stories that were integrated within the main could be explained by the fact that I have once again found myself walking into the middle of an already established series of books.The fact that this is the 3rd book in a series I didn't know existed is the reason is the reason I am giving this book a 3 out of 5 instead of an 2. ( )
  OswinsSouffle | Sep 20, 2013 |
With several characters to keep track of, the story and character relationships are a bit complex, but the author manages to tell the story expertly. The plot is sad, the characters feel real, and all are strong people who primarily want to do good in their own flawed ways. ( )
  luvlylibrarian | Sep 11, 2013 |

Kate Atkinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kate Atkinsonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
'We never know we go, - when we are going
We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
And we accost no more'

Emily Dickinson
For Dave and Maureen - thanks for many good times, the best is yet to come
"A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen"
"I'm a goddess to him [her baby son] now," Dr Hunter laughed, "but one day I'll be the annoying old woman who wants to be taken to the supermarket".
What was new was a note, stuck on the door with chewing gum, that read, "Reggie Chase -- you cant hide from us". No apostophe. ... In the shower room ... the walls had been spray-painted with the words, "Your dead". ... Who was "us"? Who were these people who didn't know how to use an apostrophe?

On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year-old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend-Jackson Brodie- himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted.

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...
On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his thoughts, he suddenly hears a shocking sound...
At the end of a long day, 16-year-old Reggie is looking forward to watching a little TV. Then a terrifying noise shatters her peaceful evening. Luckily, Reggie makes it a point to be prepared for an emergency...
These three lives come together in unexpected and deeply thrilling ways in the latest novel from Kate Atkinson, the critically acclaimed author who Harlan Coben calls "an absolute must-read."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:03 -0400)

"On a hot and beautiful day in the English countryside, six-year old Joanna Mason witnesses an appalling crime. Thirty years later, the man convicted of the crime is released from prison." "Sixteen-year-old Reggie works as a nanny for a doctor devoted to her new young son. But Dr. Hunter has gone missing, and Reggie, no stranger to bad luck and worse, seems to be the only person who is worried." "Detective Chief Inspector Louise Monroe is also looking for a missing person, unaware that hurtling toward her is an old friend - Jackson Brodie - himself on a journey that becomes fatally interrupted." "As lives and histories intersect, as past mistakes and current misfortunes collide, Jackson is caught up in the most personal, and dangerous, investigation of his life."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible