Die Wette by Vali Chandrasekaran Steve Hely

Info:Piper Verlag GmbH (2010), Paperback
Rating:**
Tags:Doku, Humor

The Ridiculous Race by Steve Hely

Two friends decide to race around the world, in opposite directions, without taking airplanes. At times hilarious, at times deep, worth a read. ( )
  bookwormteri | May 1, 2012 |
I love good comedy and this had plenty of it. Steve is definitely the funnier writer of the two and I found is sections on the more traditional travelogue pretty interesting as well. I agree with some of the other reviewers that Vali seemed in it more for the "action" than the sheer experience of doing something only a fraction of the American population could only dream of. That being said, neither of them claimed they were going to write a travel book, only that they were going to write about their experience trying to win the race and have "awesome stories" to tell. I think those expecting something more along the lines of Bill Bryson misled themselves. All in all, I think the book lived up to what it said it was going to be and I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  loumarday | Sep 1, 2011 |
If the title doesn't peak your interest, the premise will: two guys decide over beer to spend the hiatus from their TV writing jobs racing each other around the world sans airplanes. With a mere 3 weeks to cobble together tenuous itineraries, they set out to best each other in 1) time, and 2) general "awesomeness." It is not highbrow literature, but it is highly entertaining. Readers run a serious risk of spewing beverage out their nostrils while reading. Those of you who suffer from the travel bug, beware, this book will have you itching to hit the road again-soon. ( )
  jre503 | Oct 30, 2010 |
The premise of this is a winner. Two comedy writers, off work for the time between seasons, decide to have a race around the world. The catch: no airplanes. The story is told by both narrators, semi-alternating between chapters.

The strength of the book is in the humor. Both writers are pretty funny, though at parts it seemed like they wanted to make sure and remind everyone about the other guy with little jabs, stuff like "I generally like to wash my hands after using the restroom, unlike Vali whose main hand-washing technique is to rub his hands up and down a stranger's footlong Subway sub while slapping her baby." Stuff like that. It was fine, but you really didn't feel a strong rivalry, so it felt a little forced.

If you're looking for a fun read, this is a good choice. If you're looking for some tome of worldly wisdom, technical travelogue, or something like that, look somewhere else. This is more like reading a version of a buddy's out-of-country trip after college, except the buddy is hilarious and stuck on a Chinese freighter for what seems like 40,000 years. ( )
1 vote helpfulsnowman | Aug 2, 2010 |
In order to decide whether or not you will be annoyed by this book, please consider that the less annoying of the two writers (Steve) writes for American Dad. So... it is quite annoying.
Basically, these two guys decide to race around the world in opposite directions without using aeroplanes, competing on speed, awesomeness and number of countries visited. Except Vali immediately cheats, uses about ten planes and basically seems to make all decisions based on which option will allow him to hit on women in bars more easily. Steve's parts of the book are pretty good travel writing, but I think the only time I didn't get annoyed by Vali was when he was writing about visiting the temples in Cambodia -- about the only time he seemed sincerely interested in seeing the place he was visiting as opposed to doing things he thought would make him seem cool. ( )
  tronella | Jun 23, 2010 |

The most absurd, hilarious, and ridiculous travelogue ever told, by two hit-TV comedy writers who raced each other around the world—for bragging rights and a very expensive bottle of Scotch

It started as a friendly wager: two old friends from The Harvard Lampoon, now hotshot Hollywood scribes, challenged each other to a race around the globe in opposite directions. There was only one rule: no airplanes. The first man to cross every line of longitude and arrive back in L.A. would win Scotch and infamy. But little did one racer know that the other planned to cheat him out of the big prize by way of a ride on a quarter-million-dollar jet pack.

What follows is a pair of hilarious, hazardous, and eye-opening journeys into the farthest corners of the world. From the West Bank to the Aleutian Islands, the slums of Rio to the steppes of Mongolia, traveling by ocean freighter and the Trans-Siberian Railway (pranking each other mercilessly along the way), Vali and Steve plunge eagerly and ill-prepared into global adventure.

The Ridiculous Race is a comic travelogue unlike any other, an outrageous tale of two gentlemen travelers who can’t wait to don baggy cardigan sweaters, clench corncob pipes between their teeth, and yell at their sons, “You lazy bums! When we were your age, we raced around the world without airplanes!”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:44 -0400)

"We decided to race each other around the world without using airplanes. Steve went west, Vali went east, and the first guy to circle the planet would win a bottle of the best Scotch we could find in Los Angeles. This book is about our race. our vicious rivalry, and the crazy experiences we had as we tore through twenty-four countries on five continents. It features many valuable lessons, such as: How to join a Brazilian graffiti gang; Why you shouldn't eat fried silkworms or drink fermented mare's milk; Who to see if you need a custom jetpack; What to do if you accidentally get stuck in Palestine; Blueprints for a blind date in Sweden; and How to plan a kidnapping in Moscow. We're hoping this book is very popular, because it's about things everyone likes: vacation, adventures, friendship, races, pranks, and backpacks."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible