Healer by Peter Dickinson

As I have said in other places, Peter Dickinson is a favorite author for my whole family. His stories, whether YA fantasy or adult mystery, frequently exhibit a complex, forgiving and wry understanding of what people, including women and children, are like. When I read his better books, including this one, I am persuaded that Dickinson must be deeply observant of other people in his real life and I wonder what about his life made that happen.

The story here is about a young man and a younger pre-adolescent girl he took under his wing before the action starts. She is being held captive so that her gift as a "laying on of hands" healer can be exploited. The meaning of the tale, for me, is about layers of motives, about appearance versus reality, and about how people become who they are. Do they choose or are they chosen for? ( )
  NeverStopTrying | Jan 17, 2009 |

Although grudgingly aware that ten-year-old Pinkie has extraordinary powers to heal, sixteen-year-old Barry becomes increasingly convinced that she is an unwilling participant at the healing sessions run by her enterprising stepfather.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible