Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Elantris (2005)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Sel (1), Cosmere (1)

3,3011651,653 (4.02)4 / 410

English (154)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All (164)
Read before goodreads. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Though it took a long, long time to get going - I would have given up after 100 or so pages if it hadn't been for a book group - it turned out to be pretty entertaining and subverted some of the cliches of fantasy quit nicely. ( )
  SChant | May 15, 2017 |
An interesting fantasy story about people once thought of as gods, now become outcasts. The world is very interesting and original. It gets explored in a very clear way that makes each world-building layer more interesting to learn about. The characters are well-written, if just lacking in strong personalities. The story can be slow at times, but the pace increases more and more the further you read. Not a typical fantasy book, low on action and magic, but focuses more on intrigue. Overall I enjoyed the book. ( )
  renbedell | May 10, 2017 |
Man, what a debut. Before reading Elantris I was pretty deep into Brandon Sanderson. I had already read the first Mistborn, all of his YA Alcatraz books, and his novella The Emperor's Soul. All of them absolutely blew me away.

When I first started reading Elantris my feelings were...well, a little lukewarm, to be perfectly honest. The first few chapters are pretty. freaking. slow.

I didn't find Raoden's struggle in Elantris particularly interesting until he found out about the Aons, and I hated reading those chapters. Sarene took some warming up to as well. Hrathen was captivating from the moment he appeared.

Another problem I had was that I felt like I didn't have a good picture of Elantris, Kae, and the landscape in my mind's eye until quite a ways into the book. I'm not sure if it's the fault of the author or not, I just know that it was off-putting.

Ultimately though things got better--a LOT better. Despite having very little action or physical confrontation Elantris turned into such a page turner for me. I found myself so invested in Hrathen's schemes, Sarene's political maneuvering, and Raoden's grand plans for his fellow Elantrians. The world of Elantris began to feel...almost comforting in a way. It felt like home. I think the pace and feel of the book benefited a lot from the constant switching between Elantris and Kae--two completely different cities with different stuff going on. It made the book seem more complex than it was, and kept me from ever getting bored or tired of one aspect of it.

Alcatraz and The Emperor's Soul still remain my favorite 'Branderson' books, but Elantris is definitely above Mistborn on my list, and I loved the crap out of Mistborn. ( )
  ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
Tras opinarlo en el club, se queda con estas estrellas. Me ha gustado mucho la ambientación y el sistema de magia; la historia es entretenida pero quedan muchos temas en el tintero.
No obstante, probaré otros libros de Sanderson, a ver si el asunto mejora. ( )
  Owdormer | Feb 26, 2017 |
The author's skill at turning conventional fantasy on its head produces a tale filled with surprising twists and turns and a conclusion both satisfying and original.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2005)

A cut above the same-old, but hardly a classic.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (May 1, 2005)

A surprisingly satisfying, single-volume epic fantasy that invokes a complex, vibrant world.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (May 1, 2005)

The intrigue and excitement grow steadily in this smoothly written, perfectly balanced narrative; by the end readers won't want to put it down.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 8, 2005)

This a book that if you haven't read already, it should be high up on your list of books to read next. While the steep learning curve and the slow pacing can be a little frustrating at times, the compelling characters and the intriguing mysteries make it so hard to put this book down.

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garrett, JackNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my mother,

Who wanted a doctor,

Ended up with a writer,

But loved him enough not to complain

(Very much).
Elantris was beautiful, once. (From the epilogue)

Prince Raoden of Arelon awoke early that morning, completely unaware that he had been damned for all eternity.

Elantris, fabled
city of old. Then: Sheod,
doom. Magic restores.
(passion4reading)

"Elantris: gigantic, beautiful, literally radiant, filled with benevolent beings who used their powerful magical abilities to benefit all the people of Arelon. Yet each of these godlike beings had been an ordinary person until touched by the mysterious transforming power of the Shaod. Then, ten years ago, without warning, the magic failed. Elantrians became wizened, feeble, leper-like creatures, and Elantris itself dark, filthy, and crumbling. The Shaod became a curse." "Arelon's new capital city, Kae, crouches in the shadow of Elantris, which its people do their best to ignore. Princess Sarene of Teod has come to Kae for a marriage of state with Crown Prince Raoden, hoping - based on their correspondence - also to find love. She finds instead that Raoden has died, and she is considered his widow. Both Teod and Arelon are under threat as the last remaining holdouts against the imperial ambitions of the ruthless religious fanatics of Fjordell. Sarene decides to make the best of a sad situation and use her position to oppose the machinations of Hrathen, a Fjordell high priest who has come to convert Arelon and claim it for his emperor and his god." "But neither Sarene nor Hrathen suspects the truth about Prince Raoden's disappearance. Taken by the same strange malady that struck the fallen gods of Elantris, Raoden was secretly imprisoned within the dark city. His struggle to create a society for the wretches trapped there begins a series of events that will bring hope to Arelon, and perhaps even reveal the secret of Elantris itself."--book jacket.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,307,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible