Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Elantris (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Brandon Sanderson

2,9691471,927 (4.01)4 / 383
Member:KimarieBee
Title:Elantris
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Green Dragon, Fantasy, Magic, Religion

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (2005)

English (137)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (146)
Very disappointed by this first book compared with Mist born or the way of kings, for me it is weak, naive, conventional. Only thing is it's a first novel so!
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
This is the first book of Sanderson I have read which a friend recommended. I'm glad I decided to give this book a shot because it was worth the risk and hard to put down. Full of interesting characters that pull you right into their world and not all is as it seems. Serene comes to Kae under the assumption that she is to marry the Crown Prince when she learns that he has died and she is now his widow. Suspicious of the strange turn of events but trying to make the best of things, she soon finds a way to make friends and show people a different side to being a royal. The Prince on the other hand isn't dead but has been thrown into Elantris due to being affected by the Shaod. A decade ago, people who were affected by the Shaod became like gods with golden skin, power and seemed to live forever. Then suddenly something happened and the city became cursed. The Prince is determined to learm what happened and with the unlikely friendship of a Dula and several other Elantrians, he slowly comes to understand what could have happened. A war is brewing which will cause the people of Kae to question everything they held on to and will turn to the very people they once shunned for help. Serene is my favorite as she isn't afraid to speak her mind nor defend those she cares for. Will Serene learn the truth about her husband and can Kale be saved? You'll have to read to find out!! ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
This was Sanderson's debut and already here he showed why he is such a wonderful fantasy writer. The book is also different in a way since this is it, there is no series. This book is it and I liked that.´There was an end to it.

Sanderson is a master when it comes to creating religions, political intrigues and magical systems, he just does it so well. His books shines with it and they are a joy to read. The imagination and work he puts in to his stories makes them so much more.

In this story we meet prince Raoden who is tossed into Elantris to die a miserable death and his family proclaims he died from some sudden disease. He is a true hero and loves his people. And now being Elantrian he does his best to help this poor people. Because they are, well zombies in a way. They feel every wound and they seem to be rotting away. When the pain is too much they just lie down and stay like that. The big question is why this is happening since Elantrians used to have power and magic, but then came the curse...

Sarene is the other main character. She comes as a bride but lands as a widow. Still she stays because just as Raoden wants to save Elantrians now, Sarene wants to save her new people and the people back home. She is no scared little princess, she has a keen mind and is not afraid to say what she thinks.

This book is a lot about the political intrigues that are going on in this country and abroad. There is a big bad empire with a religious ruler who wants to take over the world and make everyone believe in his faith. The people in Arelon does believe in the same god, but there are two roads to God, and as we do know people will always find fault in others. Especially when it comes to religious zealotism and here that is truly shown. Because even if Hrathen is bad with his die or convert scheme then there are worse men out there and we meet them. This religion also despises the former Elantrians since they were almost like Gods.

The other part of the political world is the inner turmoil in the country. The Elantrians used to rule but when that broke down the rich took over and created an order where the richest have titles, and the poor are even poorer and in serfdom. It is a system which is crumbling and seems ripe to be plucked by conquerors.

I have already said that I like the magic, politics and religion he creates. But he also creates such wonderful characters to root for, or hate with a passion. And while doing just that you have this dread inside of you, because how can this book end well? Raoden is rotting, Sarene is playing with fire and there is an Empire who wants to crush everyone.

Conclusion:
A great fantasy book that I could not put down. I was so immersed in the story and wanted to know what would happen to them all. It is a book I recommend and if you are afraid of long fantasy epics then this one book (even if long) is a great way book for you to start with.

Could not put it down

Cover:
I am not a fan of these, but it kind of grows on me. But it seems a bit..sci-fiesqe ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
I read this book about 10 years ago, and I was relieved to discover that this is still my favorite Sanderson novel. Or at least in the Top 3. There's just something special about it. Maybe it's the originality. Maybe it's the fact that I relate to Sarene so much—from her fear of heights to being taller than average to intimidating all of her potential suitors. (I had to laugh when I remembered what I thought at 16 when I read that Sarene was 25—"She is way too old to get married." Ah, so young.) Maybe I just like the book because it stands on its own.

My only complaint is that Hrathen is not a very interesting character. (Thankfully, most of his chapters are short.) It was a little strange to me that the book ended as a sort of eulogy to his character. If you asked me, I wouldn't say that he was the hero of the book. He definitely helped in the end, but giving him all the credit for their success was a bit much. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 1, 2016 |
Good book. ( )
  mgriel | Jan 18, 2016 |
The author's skill at turning conventional fantasy on its head produces a tale filled with surprising twists and turns and a conclusion both satisfying and original.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2005)

A cut above the same-old, but hardly a classic.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (May 1, 2005)

A surprisingly satisfying, single-volume epic fantasy that invokes a complex, vibrant world.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (May 1, 2005)

The intrigue and excitement grow steadily in this smoothly written, perfectly balanced narrative; by the end readers won't want to put it down.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 8, 2005)

This a book that if you haven't read already, it should be high up on your list of books to read next. While the steep learning curve and the slow pacing can be a little frustrating at times, the compelling characters and the intriguing mysteries make it so hard to put this book down.

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garrett, JackNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my mother,

Who wanted a doctor,

Ended up with a writer,

But loved him enough not to complain

(Very much).
Elantris was beautiful, once. (From the epilogue)

Prince Raoden of Arelon awoke early that morning, completely unaware that he had been damned for all eternity.

Elantris, fabled
city of old. Then: Sheod,
doom. Magic restores.
(passion4reading)

"Elantris: gigantic, beautiful, literally radiant, filled with benevolent beings who used their powerful magical abilities to benefit all the people of Arelon. Yet each of these godlike beings had been an ordinary person until touched by the mysterious transforming power of the Shaod. Then, ten years ago, without warning, the magic failed. Elantrians became wizened, feeble, leper-like creatures, and Elantris itself dark, filthy, and crumbling. The Shaod became a curse." "Arelon's new capital city, Kae, crouches in the shadow of Elantris, which its people do their best to ignore. Princess Sarene of Teod has come to Kae for a marriage of state with Crown Prince Raoden, hoping - based on their correspondence - also to find love. She finds instead that Raoden has died, and she is considered his widow. Both Teod and Arelon are under threat as the last remaining holdouts against the imperial ambitions of the ruthless religious fanatics of Fjordell. Sarene decides to make the best of a sad situation and use her position to oppose the machinations of Hrathen, a Fjordell high priest who has come to convert Arelon and claim it for his emperor and his god." "But neither Sarene nor Hrathen suspects the truth about Prince Raoden's disappearance. Taken by the same strange malady that struck the fallen gods of Elantris, Raoden was secretly imprisoned within the dark city. His struggle to create a society for the wretches trapped there begins a series of events that will bring hope to Arelon, and perhaps even reveal the secret of Elantris itself."--book jacket.… (more)

222 wanted3 pay7 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible