Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

Elantris (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Brandon Sanderson

3,2371621,713 (4.02)4 / 405
Member:KimarieBee
Title:Elantris
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Green Dragon, Fantasy, Magic, Religion

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson (2005)

English (150)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All (160)
An excellent fantasy novel, Sanderson has a talent at story telling and surprises. I just wish I could find more authors like him. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 24, 2017 |
I've been wanting to read this book for years but have also been avoiding it for that same amount of years. I once told people that I didn't favor highly political fiction, and someone warned me away from this book. I've since determined that it's not as simple as just politics in books that I don't favor, but the warning stuck. Finally though, I have gotten around to reading this book. I'm glad I did. I can see why people said this was a very political book. And I find that the politics didn't bother me. The two sides of church against state against each other did. But that is a personal matter and I refused to let it hinder my enjoyment of this book. And I did enjoy this book; Raoden most of all. Sarene was a little annoying at times. It did go slowly for the first half of the book but the second half I couldn't put down. I can see in the writing style evidence that this is clearly Sanderson's first published novel but the story was as unique and engaging as all of his other works are. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 28, 2017 |
I thought I'd like this book more than I did. I liked the world building, I liked the characters a lot, but way too much religion that tended to preach at the reader.

I finished it because I cared about the characters enough to keep going.
  majkia | Jan 9, 2017 |
3 1/2 stars.

I wanted to like this book. But it was slow getting started. It often takes me several chapters before I get fully into a book, but on this one I had read over 100 pages and was mostly feeling bored. Before abandoning a book, I usually take a look at a chapter or two in the middle, and if it still isn't working for me, I flip ahead to the ending. I started reading Part 2, and was hooked immediately. I suppose I had to plow through some of the stuff in Part 1 so that I knew the players, but I really wonder about the 0ther 250 or so pages I skipped. Anyway, I really liked the second half.

I'm still ambivalent about Sanderson. I really liked The Emperor's Soul. On the other hand, when I tried the Mistborn series - just the first book - the whole metal/alloy thing simply rubbed me the wrong way.

I bought the book, but will probably take it to Half Price books or just donate it. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
My first Sanderson book. Yeah!
A very religious book. A city of gods, fallen. A prince and princess engaged, broken apart. An empire rolling onward. Belief, faith, hatred and love. A solid universe created here. A lot of religious sects referred to, could be confusing :-)
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The author's skill at turning conventional fantasy on its head produces a tale filled with surprising twists and turns and a conclusion both satisfying and original.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (May 15, 2005)

A cut above the same-old, but hardly a classic.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (May 1, 2005)

A surprisingly satisfying, single-volume epic fantasy that invokes a complex, vibrant world.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (May 1, 2005)

The intrigue and excitement grow steadily in this smoothly written, perfectly balanced narrative; by the end readers won't want to put it down.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 8, 2005)

This a book that if you haven't read already, it should be high up on your list of books to read next. While the steep learning curve and the slow pacing can be a little frustrating at times, the compelling characters and the intriguing mysteries make it so hard to put this book down.

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garrett, JackNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my mother,

Who wanted a doctor,

Ended up with a writer,

But loved him enough not to complain

(Very much).
Elantris was beautiful, once. (From the epilogue)

Prince Raoden of Arelon awoke early that morning, completely unaware that he had been damned for all eternity.

Elantris, fabled
city of old. Then: Sheod,
doom. Magic restores.
(passion4reading)

"Elantris: gigantic, beautiful, literally radiant, filled with benevolent beings who used their powerful magical abilities to benefit all the people of Arelon. Yet each of these godlike beings had been an ordinary person until touched by the mysterious transforming power of the Shaod. Then, ten years ago, without warning, the magic failed. Elantrians became wizened, feeble, leper-like creatures, and Elantris itself dark, filthy, and crumbling. The Shaod became a curse." "Arelon's new capital city, Kae, crouches in the shadow of Elantris, which its people do their best to ignore. Princess Sarene of Teod has come to Kae for a marriage of state with Crown Prince Raoden, hoping - based on their correspondence - also to find love. She finds instead that Raoden has died, and she is considered his widow. Both Teod and Arelon are under threat as the last remaining holdouts against the imperial ambitions of the ruthless religious fanatics of Fjordell. Sarene decides to make the best of a sad situation and use her position to oppose the machinations of Hrathen, a Fjordell high priest who has come to convert Arelon and claim it for his emperor and his god." "But neither Sarene nor Hrathen suspects the truth about Prince Raoden's disappearance. Taken by the same strange malady that struck the fallen gods of Elantris, Raoden was secretly imprisoned within the dark city. His struggle to create a society for the wretches trapped there begins a series of events that will bring hope to Arelon, and perhaps even reveal the secret of Elantris itself."--book jacket.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,475,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible