The Garden of Abdul Gasazi by Chris Van…

The Garden of Abdul Gasazi (original 1979; edition 1979)

by Chris Van Allsburg (Author)

Member:MRSchmid
Title:The Garden of Abdul Gasazi
Authors:Chris Van Allsburg (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (1979), Edition: Library Binding, 32 pages
Tags:Fantasy

The Garden of Abdul Gasazi by Chris Van Allsburg (1979)

Bull terriers I'll tell you! What an accurate depiction! This is Van Allsburg's first book. It won a 1980 Caldecott honor. Looking at this book compared to some of his later books such as The Sweetest Fig, it is fascinating to see the progression of his work. This story is so odd yet clever. The focus on one object within Van Allsburg's stories rings true even here as Alan's hat draws pulls the plot together from beginning to end. I love the feeling that the little secret of the magic leaves with us after the last page when Miss Hester discovers the hat but is completely unaware of its meaning. This interaction of a child discovering something of having an experience that an adult does not believe is taken obviously a little far here but I remember this happening to me often as a child. This book glorifies that discrepancy rather than criticizing it. I found this title on a list of "best folk tale picture books" but have not been able to find any information on whether it truly is or not which makes me suppose it is not and was grouped in for containing magic. ( )
  signecbaum | Mar 27, 2018 |
to have a broad mind and explore new things
  aaj018 | Nov 8, 2017 |
When Alan is tasked with taking care of his neighbors naughty dog, Fritz, he figures it will mostly be a matter of keeping him from chewing on his hats and shoes. Unfortunately, Fritz runs away and into the garden of a retired magician who doesn't like dogs. Alan is forced to follow the mischievous canine into the foliage of Abdul Gasazi's garden in spite of the sign that says "NO DOGS ALLOWED". When the trail leads to the magician's front door, Alan is brave enough to knock. Mr. Gasazi leads Alan to believe that he turned Fritz into a duck! Readers will be relieved to find out it's not the case when Alan drags himself back home to admit to his neighbor the terrible truth only to see Fritz is safe at home. ( )
  bfsnook | Jul 27, 2016 |
This is my absolute favorite book written & illustrated by Chris Van Allsburg! It won a Caldecott award for its illustrations.

The books tells an intriguing story of a boy, his run away dog, an odd gaggle of geese, an old magician named Abdul Gasazi and his garden.

Delightful! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
really enjoyed reading this book in class. I think that it helps the students think that there are other things out there than just their own life's. ( )
  dianamartinez | Dec 2, 2015 |
To Lisa
Six times Miss Hester’s dog Fritz had bitten dear cousin Eunice.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039527804X, Hardcover)

Sometimes that very thin line between illusion and reality is not as clearly defined as we would like it to be. It certainly wasn't the day that Alan Mitz stumbled into the garden of Abdul Gasazi. For in this bizarre and eerie place -- where strange topiary trees loomed -- the evil visage of Gasazi casts its shadow. And even after Alan escaped, the spell of Gasazi still seemed to penetrate into his everyday world. In this extraordinary, unusual, and unique picture book, Chris Van Allsburg explores both the real and surreal worlds with incredible deftness. In doing so, he has created exquisite and beautiful images that will continue to haunt readers long after they have left the enchanted garden of Abdul Gasazi.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

When the dog he is caring for runs away from Alan into the forbidden garden of a retired dog-hating magician, a spell seems to be cast over the contrary dog.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,465,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible