The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

The Heretic's Daughter (2008)

by Kathleen Kent

1,7121614,149 ()199

English (158)  Dutch (3)  All languages (161)
This novel was popular with most of our group. They felt the author created the time and place well, with believable characterisations, great language and descriptive passages. We had a good discussion on mother/daughter relationships and the notorious unpredictability of teenage girls. Joan mentioned the parallel traits of 17th century girls and those of today. Is bullying through a Puritan court the same a bullying through Facebook? We all agreed that the passage of time does little to change human behaviour and went on to discuss the environment of fear that even today is created as a way of controlling society. Do we learn from the past? It would appear not.

Everyone found the account of Martha’s imprisonment graphic and at times hard to read. The combination of mass hysteria, ignorance and superstition had us all reeling from the injustice placed upon these poor people, and found ourselves incredulous of Viti’s story of some relations in a small village in Kent that seriously believed a homeless woman to be a witch. And this was in the 1970s!

There were some criticisms from a few members who found the story too much akin to The Crucible, and felt there was nothing new here. Also the slow start and unlikable personality of the narrator, Sarah, had both Nancy and Chris struggling to appreciate the book. But in general, The Heretic’s Daughter scored high with our group and, like our member Kathy, if you haven’t read The Crucible, you will no doubt thoroughly enjoy this one! ( )
  DaptoLibrary | Jan 26, 2015 |
I thoughly enjoyed this book for multiple reasons. First I love historical novels and the author is a direct descendant of Martha Carrier, one of the main characters in this story. Being a genealogist myself, I couldn't resist checking to see if the records for the Carrier family were in the New England Historic Genealogical Society databases. And they are - in Billerica, Andover, and Colchester, exactly as related in the novel. I'm also fascinated by the Salem witch trials and the first novel I read on this subject was "I Tituba, Black Witch of Salem." So, needless to say, I was pleased to find a mention of Tituba, a prisoner in the same cell with Martha's daughter. But the main reason for my rating of 5 for this novel, is the author's beautiful style of writing. I've found in the past that I've often grown tired of an author's extremely descriptive accounts of the story, but that was definitely not the case with The Heretic's Daughter. I savored every sentence, hence the reason it took me over two weeks to read this work despite the fact that I was completely enthralled with the story. I look forward to reading more from Kathleen Kent. ( )
  Nancy_Archdekin | Jan 4, 2015 |
I kept reading, but never really liked this book. It seemed to drag for me and I never really connected with the story enough. As I was reading I'd get engaged, but never enough to look forward to picking the book up again. ( )
  laurieindra | Jan 4, 2015 |
full review coming soon on a href="http://bookdrug.wordpress.com">my blog. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
full review coming soon on a href="http://bookdrug.wordpress.com">my blog. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
Ah, children, be afraid of going prayerless to bed, lest the Devil be your bedfellow.
--Cotton Mather from a funeral service
This book is dedicated to Mitchell and Joshua

And to my parents, John and Audrey, for giving me the stories.
The distance by wagon from Billerica to neighboring Andover is but nine miles.
The chief judge then asked Mother, "What do you say to this you are charged with?"

Mother's voice sounded loud and clear through to the back of the room, "I have not done it."

Sarah Carrier and Martha, her mother, who live on the family farm in Andover, Massachusetts, endure a dispute with Sarah's uncle about their plot, and when reports of supernatural activity in nearby Salem escalate into mass hysteria, people begin accusing Martha and her family of being witches.

Kathleen Kent is a tenth generation descendent of Martha Carrier. She paints a haunting portrait, not just of Puritan New England, but also of one family's deep and abiding love in the face of fear and persecution.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:32 -0400)

Martha Carrier was one of the first women to be accused, tried and hanged as a witch in Salem, Massachusetts. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and willful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. Often at odds with one another, mother and daughter are forced to stand together against the escalating hysteria of the trials and the superstitious tyranny that led to the torture and imprisonment of more than 200 people accused of witchcraft. This is the story of Martha's courageous defiance and ultimate death, as told by the daughter who survived.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,671,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible