The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

The Heretic's Daughter (2008)

by Kathleen Kent

English (175)  Dutch (4)  All (179)
I love books about Salem, and this is one of the best in the fictional category I've ever read! ( )
  DanNimak | Jan 22, 2018 |
I am not sure what I was expecting when I bought this book. I have read other books based on the Salem Witch Trials. I am always disturbed by the way powerful men can persuade a group of people to turn on others and believe outlandish things but I'm also amazed at how people seem to want to be lead. The part of the book that describes what these innocent people suffered is horrific and reminded me of the holocaust. Ms Kent did a realistic portrayal of the trial and the jail scenes that leaves you very moved. It made me realize that I don't think humanity is going to ever learn from its past and learn to stop one powerful group from using fear to destroy another group. It seems to happen about every 50 years or so. As far as this accounting, I found the beginning a bit unattached to the title and what I was expecting, so I was impatient to actually get to the witch hunt part. The early groundwork part was good but I didn't want to read that part. So I must give this 3 stars since it left me feeling unsatisfied as a whole. ( )
  theeccentriclady | Dec 7, 2017 |
so dull ( )
  Heldin | Oct 15, 2017 |
The first part of this book dragged, as the author wrote in detail about the daily life of a 17th century girl. Once the accusations of witchcraft were made mid-book things moved a bit faster and were more interesting. The author wrapped up the book nicely, telling what happened to each of the characters. Overall this wasn't quite as good as I was anticipating. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
A haunting telling of the dark events surrounding and leading up to the Salem witch trials and the imprisonment and hanging of innocent citizens. Told through the voice of the young daughter of one of the women accused, tried, and hanged as a witch, Kent's moving novel paints a vivid and unsettling picture of 17th century life in Puritan New England. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Ah, children, be afraid of going prayerless to bed, lest the Devil be your bedfellow.
—Cotton Mather from a funeral service
This book is dedicated to Mitchell and Joshua

And to my parents, John and Audrey, for giving me the stories.
The distance by wagon from Billerica to neighboring Andover is but nine miles.
The chief judge then asked Mother, "What do you say to this you are charged with?"

Mother's voice sounded loud and clear through to the back of the room, "I have not done it."

Sarah Carrier and Martha, her mother, who live on the family farm in Andover, Massachusetts, endure a dispute with Sarah's uncle about their plot, and when reports of supernatural activity in nearby Salem escalate into mass hysteria, people begin accusing Martha and her family of being witches.

Kathleen Kent is a tenth generation descendent of Martha Carrier. She paints a haunting portrait, not just of Puritan New England, but also of one family's deep and abiding love in the face of fear and persecution.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:37 -0400)

Martha Carrier was one of the first women to be accused, tried and hanged as a witch in Salem, Massachusetts. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and willful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. Often at odds with one another, mother and daughter are forced to stand together against the escalating hysteria of the trials and the superstitious tyranny that led to the torture and imprisonment of more than 200 people accused of witchcraft. This is the story of Martha's courageous defiance and ultimate death, as told by the daughter who survived.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,484,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible