The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

The Heretic's Daughter (2008)

by Kathleen Kent

Recently added byrancho_las_rosas, INorris, JudieLM, private library, JWeyenberg, sandra.k.heinzman

English (157)  Dutch (3)  All languages (160)
This novel was popular with most of our group. They felt the author created the time and place well, with believable characterisations, great language and descriptive passages. We had a good discussion on mother/daughter relationships and the notorious unpredictability of teenage girls. Joan mentioned the parallel traits of 17th century girls and those of today. Is bullying through a Puritan court the same a bullying through Facebook? We all agreed that the passage of time does little to change human behaviour and went on to discuss the environment of fear that even today is created as a way of controlling society. Do we learn from the past? It would appear not.

Everyone found the account of Martha’s imprisonment graphic and at times hard to read. The combination of mass hysteria, ignorance and superstition had us all reeling from the injustice placed upon these poor people, and found ourselves incredulous of Viti’s story of some relations in a small village in Kent that seriously believed a homeless woman to be a witch. And this was in the 1970s!

There were some criticisms from a few members who found the story too much akin to The Crucible, and felt there was nothing new here. Also the slow start and unlikable personality of the narrator, Sarah, had both Nancy and Chris struggling to appreciate the book. But in general, The Heretic’s Daughter scored high with our group and, like our member Kathy, if you haven’t read The Crucible, you will no doubt thoroughly enjoy this one! ( )
  DaptoLibrary | Jan 26, 2015 |
I kept reading, but never really liked this book. It seemed to drag for me and I never really connected with the story enough. As I was reading I'd get engaged, but never enough to look forward to picking the book up again. ( )
  laurieindra | Jan 4, 2015 |
full review coming soon on a href="http://bookdrug.wordpress.com">my blog. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
full review coming soon on a href="http://bookdrug.wordpress.com">my blog. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
It was very good. I'm evaluating it as a companion piece for The Crucible, and it dovetails nicely. The only problem is that it is a pretty slow start. The real action doesn't start until the middle of the book. After that, it gives a pretty riveting account of the conditions during the Salem witch trials. An added point of interest is that the author is a descendent of Martha Carrier, who was actually hanged as a witch and is the mother of the main character in the book. ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Ah, children, be afraid of going prayerless to bed, lest the Devil be your bedfellow.
--Cotton Mather from a funeral service
This book is dedicated to Mitchell and Joshua

And to my parents, John and Audrey, for giving me the stories.
The distance by wagon from Billerica to neighboring Andover is but nine miles.
The chief judge then asked Mother, "What do you say to this you are charged with?"

Mother's voice sounded loud and clear through to the back of the room, "I have not done it."

Sarah Carrier and Martha, her mother, who live on the family farm in Andover, Massachusetts, endure a dispute with Sarah's uncle about their plot, and when reports of supernatural activity in nearby Salem escalate into mass hysteria, people begin accusing Martha and her family of being witches.

Kathleen Kent is a tenth generation descendent of Martha Carrier. She paints a haunting portrait, not just of Puritan New England, but also of one family's deep and abiding love in the face of fear and persecution.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:32 -0400)

Martha Carrier was one of the first women to be accused, tried and hanged as a witch in Salem, Massachusetts. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and willful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. Often at odds with one another, mother and daughter are forced to stand together against the escalating hysteria of the trials and the superstitious tyranny that led to the torture and imprisonment of more than 200 people accused of witchcraft. This is the story of Martha's courageous defiance and ultimate death, as told by the daughter who survived.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,724,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible