The Sword Of Shannara by Terry Brooks

The Sword Of Shannara (original 1977; edition 1978)

by Terry Brooks

Member:Snowstorm14
Title:The Sword Of Shannara
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Futura (1978), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (1977)

English (79)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (82)
Somehow slogged through the first 2 Shannara books back when they first came out. Couldn't force myself to read any further. Simplified Tolkien rip-off, I'll stick to the original. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jun 24, 2016 |
I find the criticisms of this book to be very snobbish-- very anxious to crucify over every imagined imperfection, as snobs always seem to be. Always trying to indirectly prove their own imagined superiority-- always.

As for Tolkien, there are similarities and differences. Both thrive on descriptions of men and of nature, although they are not similar in every particular. Some people would have you think that any story with an invented place is like Tolkien, although to tell the truth Tolkien was a very particular sort of writer, and not many are really like him. John Tolkien very earnestly writhed over every unintelligible word in each one of his invented languages, and wrote stories as vehicles for those languages. He was also very great-souled in his odd sort of way, and so he was The Best, and of course lesser souls with superiority (inferiority?) complexes like nothing better than, The Best....

Brooks is a more popular writer, in the sense of his style. His stories are lighter and easier to handle, written more for boys, "lost boys" after Peter Pan's style, and less for the professors of languages that never were....

And if that is a sin, I suppose that you must crucify him.

.... And as for the feminine, well, I don't want you to feel that I'm over-explaining to you, but when she makes her appearance Terry Brooks receives her very kindly, for she is kind, but you have to remember that sometimes she hides her face, and will not appear out of turn or as anybody else, and indeed she does not come to a call. ( )
  walkthemoon89 | Jun 21, 2016 |
While this was an enjoyable enough read when I was in my teens, it's really not much more than a Middle-earth rip-off. I doubt I could stomach it now. ( )
  KevinMiller | Mar 3, 2016 |
When I was but an impressionable teen, my crush gave me this book for my birthday. He had teeth like little baby pearls and could quote from The Princess Bride, so I was pretty far gone on him. This book was so bad that it effectively cured me of that crush. Despite being a plot-point-for-plot-point, character-for-character rip-off of the Lord of the Rings, it's pretty boring. In fact, the only surprise in this novel is that despite such blatant plagiarism, none of the beauty of Tolkein's descriptions or rich history of his peoples translates over. I don't know how Brooks managed to strip Tolkein's tales of everything wonderful and beautiful, but he did it somehow. ( )
1 vote wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book has a lot of backstory but here is all of the primary races
Demons: men and elves turn bad by the dark arts they are in the abyss.
Elves: a step down from fey and a step up from men they live in the Westland.
Trolls: men evolved and hardened from the cold and live up in the Northland.
Men: civil people that can build and have a good grasp on life and live in the Southland.
Dwarfs: amazing craftsmen and they live in the Lower Anar.
Gnomes: the best healers in the land and believe that there are god that will banish you but they are really just monsters and they live the Eastland.
Druids: druids live in Pakanor and are men that have are of the world's history and they have magic and they sometimes become demons.

Shea and flick Ohmsford are living in shale vill and they meet the famous allanon a world traveler and a druid. He said that shea is a long descendant of Jerle Shannara the famous elf king that banish the warlock lord. It turns out that he died and the warlock lord lives and it is up to shea and flick to save all of the four lands from the armies of the goblins and skull bearers. They flee from the skull bearers that had their location and they meet a friend that wants to help and they head to find the sword of shannara ( )
  NickR.B3 | Feb 22, 2016 |

Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Het begin...Shannara
For My Parents, Who Believed
The sun was already sinking into the deep green of the hills to the west of the valley, the red and gray-pink of its shadows touching the corners of the land, when Flick Ohmsford began his descent.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345314255, Mass Market Paperback)

Living in peaceful Shady Vale, Shea Ohmsford knew little of the troubles that plagued the rest of the world. Then the giant, forbidding Allanon revaled that the supposedly dead Warlock Lord was plotting to destory the world. The sole weapon against this Power of Darkness was the Sword of Shannara, which could only be used by a true heir of Shannara--Shea being the last of the bloodline, upon whom all hope rested. Soon a Skull Bearer, dread minion of Evil, flew into the Vale, seeking to destroy Shea. To save the Vale, Shea fled, drawing the Skull Bearer after him....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Long ago, the wars of the ancient Evil had ruined the world and forced mankind to compete with many other races-gnomes, trolls, dwarfs, and elves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,814,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible