The Sword Of Shannara by Terry Brooks

The Sword Of Shannara (original 1977; edition 1978)

by Terry Brooks

Member:Snowstorm14
Title:The Sword Of Shannara
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Futura (1978), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (1977)

English (83)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (86)
MTV had picked up a new show: the Shannara Chronicles; and I was determined to watch it and read the books. Well, I finished the show first, and learned that the show was based off the second book and not the first. I have to read things in order, so I picked up the Sword of Shannara. Brooks's writing style captivated me from the very first chapter. Yes, I had heard from others that his saga resembled Lord of the Rings, but while there are some similar fantasy tropes, SoS is a fabulous story all it's own. From character development, to the description of the landscape, Brooks managed to create a novel to become completely swept away in. It took me quite a while to finish the 700-odd pages, but it's a story definitely worth reading. ( )
  philae_02 | Jun 5, 2017 |
I had forgotten this one for my Year of Nostalgic Re-reads, not feeling nostalgic for it because I have a distinct memory of me as a 16 year old being so outraged at Brooks "ripping off Tolkien!" to the point that I said out loud, "The Tolkien estate should sue for plagiarism!" I'm older now, and I realize that Brooks really had no other fantasy author to emulate back in 1967 when he started this, and while my forgiveness means nothing, I offer it. The thing is now, 38 years later, I see this is really not written all that well - ham handed, trite, fluffy, Brooks didn't have the skill then to equal Tolkien's prose, but then I know that's not what he was going for. I've not read any other Shannara books, and don't plan to, but I'll assume Brooks got better - given the lengthy career he had and the number of Shannara sequels and prequels.

Actually, I know Brooks got better, because I liked at least the first book in his Landover series. Hmmm...another nostalgic title... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Review originally posted on Goodreads.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a rough start with a lot of explanations and not much action. It gets better and I ended up quickly devouring the book. Though the use of "awesome" to describe things because a bit overused. The power of the sword came as a surprise and sort of anti-climatic. Nonetheless, it's a worthy read. ( )
  apollymipanthos | Feb 25, 2017 |
I read this book once in middle school, and I remember really enjoying it. I decided to reread it, and found that my tastes had evidently changed. While I still very much enjoyed the story, some of the characters were clearly lacking. In addition, the writer's choice in point of view was very distracting. It was a more omniscient point of view, however there was no clear direction. For example, we'd be listening to one characters thoughts, he'd see another character sitting off to the side, and within the same paragraph we'd now be in the new characters thoughts. It was sometime confusing to keep straight who was thinking what, who knew what, and what was happening. Another point, is that some of the foreshadowing and structure was just odd. The first sentence of a chapter states that the character 'reached the river at dawn' and then goes back to explain how he journeyed there. But because we know he reaches the river at dawn, there's almost no importance to the obstacles he faces along the way, because we KNOW he gets there. Still a good book for nostalgia's sake but likely not one I would pick up again anytime soon. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
I know when I started this book that I was in for some spic adventire and it did not disappoint. In a way it sort of reminded me of Lord of The Rings considering that Brooks was inspired by Tolkien it makes sense. A Half Man/ Half Elf is burdened with a quest that only he can do to defeat the big bad. He is accompanied by a Wizard (or a Druid in this case) and several others including a bad ass Dwarf, who ended up being my favorite character.

There were two big gripes I had about this book. One was the long monologues about the History. It just seemed to go on and on and on. I understand that Brooks was trying to do he wanted the reader to have the entire backstory so there would be no questions, but man was it just so hard to get through all that reading!

The second problem I had was the major lack of females in this story. One does not even show up until the last half of the book. I'm not saying that there had to be a major female character (although that would have been awesome) but at least a couple of appearance would have sufficed.

Despite these two things the book was okay. Not the absolute best fantasy I have read and not the worst either. I am going to read The Elfstones of Shannara because I would like to compare it to the show when I watch it. ( )
  NelmsTree | Nov 28, 2016 |

Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Het begin...Shannara
For My Parents, Who Believed
The sun was already sinking into the deep green of the hills to the west of the valley, the red and gray-pink of its shadows touching the corners of the land, when Flick Ohmsford began his descent.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345314255, Mass Market Paperback)

Living in peaceful Shady Vale, Shea Ohmsford knew little of the troubles that plagued the rest of the world. Then the giant, forbidding Allanon revaled that the supposedly dead Warlock Lord was plotting to destory the world. The sole weapon against this Power of Darkness was the Sword of Shannara, which could only be used by a true heir of Shannara--Shea being the last of the bloodline, upon whom all hope rested. Soon a Skull Bearer, dread minion of Evil, flew into the Vale, seeking to destroy Shea. To save the Vale, Shea fled, drawing the Skull Bearer after him....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Long ago, the wars of the ancient Evil had ruined the world and forced mankind to compete with many other races-gnomes, trolls, dwarfs, and elves.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,179,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible