The Sword Of Shannara by Terry Brooks

The Sword Of Shannara (original 1977; edition 1978)

by Terry Brooks

Member:Snowstorm14
Title:The Sword Of Shannara
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Futura (1978), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (1977)

Recently added byhanna56, jaymeeyer, Kristelh, INorris, KirstenSilver, beertraveler, private library, Ampton
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station

English (75)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (78)
Enjoyable direct descendant of LOTR... in fact, the story is pretty much exactly the same. However, the basic story is the hero's quest that has been around since Homer, and I suppose it's no crime to go back to the well again... people tell me that he very much matures as a writer in later books, so some day maybe I'll continue the series. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Feb 3, 2016 |
I have read this book a long time ago. In fact, I think it is high time I re-read it. I found it to be one of the best Fantasy books out there.... ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is the story of Shea Ohmsford, his gift and his companions who must save the world. Typical fantasy storyline, but I loved the "magic" of the story, the world and the characters. I read this book in high school and it is where my love of fantasy novels grew from. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book. This was my second crack at it, I tried it the first time maybe a decade ago and didn't get on with it then.
The writing is just fine, the plot is fine...except that it is a total rip off or Tolkien's LOtR...even down to having the same character types all having names that begin with the same letter as Tolkien's. ( )
  Tobi83 | Jan 5, 2016 |
ABSOLUTAMENTE SOBERBO. Desde a leitura do Senho dos Anéis de Tolkien, que não lia um épico de Fantasia tão empolgante e fascinante.
As parecenças são muitas em termos de tipologia de personagens, ameaça a um mundo supostamente tranquilo e amizades formadas numa busca pela espada de Shannara.
Mas o que me fascinou foi que Terry Brooks conseguiu criar um interesse pelo seu mundo sem estar dependente duma colagem que pudesse ser feita a Tolkien.
O livro vive por si só duma forma brilhante e estou ansioso por começar a ler o próximo volume. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |

Terry Brooksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Het begin...Shannara
For My Parents, Who Believed
The sun was already sinking into the deep green of the hills to the west of the valley, the red and gray-pink of its shadows touching the corners of the land, when Flick Ohmsford began his descent.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345314255, Mass Market Paperback)

Living in peaceful Shady Vale, Shea Ohmsford knew little of the troubles that plagued the rest of the world. Then the giant, forbidding Allanon revaled that the supposedly dead Warlock Lord was plotting to destory the world. The sole weapon against this Power of Darkness was the Sword of Shannara, which could only be used by a true heir of Shannara--Shea being the last of the bloodline, upon whom all hope rested. Soon a Skull Bearer, dread minion of Evil, flew into the Vale, seeking to destroy Shea. To save the Vale, Shea fled, drawing the Skull Bearer after him....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Long ago, the wars of the ancient Evil had ruined the world and forced mankind to compete with many other races-gnomes, trolls, dwarfs, and elves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible