The Copyright Handbook: How To Protect & Use…

The Copyright Handbook: How To Protect & Use Written Works

by Stephen Fishman

Series: Law for All

I think this would be a good book to share with the teachers in short mini lessons during the year or take out quotes and put them in a newsletter so the teachers will stay on top of copyright rules.
  angiewood | Feb 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
NOLO books are valuable resources in assisting individuals to understand legal topics. They are not, nor do they try to be, a substitute for personalized legal advice. This title on Copyright, in 405 pages, plus appendix, CD of forms, and index assist writers in understanding the basics of this deceptively simple topic. From the start Fishman explains the basics of copyright and provides examples of all the different permutations as to why a work may or may not be protected. The education provided allows a writer to better understand the rights available to their own works and what they need to think about when adapting others written words. The guide is clearly written in plain English and includes, as do all NOLO titles I've read, various tips and clarifying summary charts to make sense of a this topic. What I found most useful was I would not have thought to include in this volume, "Copyright and Taxation" and the consideration of your writing a hobby or a business. This title is most helpful for those who write what I will call standard prose. If you are trying to understand how to copyright and protect, a knitting pattern, for example, basics exist as to its potential protection, I suggest if you are interested in copyright and other protections specifically for craft patterns, such as knitting, then an internet search (try "knitting copyright") will supplement and expand upon the information provided in this title. I highly recommend this readable volume and hope you find an attorney you can call contact if necessary.

Please note that the copy reviewed was received as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  pennyshima | Apr 16, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although this book is subtitled “What Every Writer Needs to Know”, this copyright handbook will be useful to anyone who has questions or needs information about copyright law. The clear explanations and numerous examples make this book a good starting point for non-specialists. The sample forms will help readers handle simple copyright matters on their own. Readers with more complex copyright problems will find information that will help them develop a strategy to address their problems, including who to contact (a copyright attorney, an organization, or an agency), what information to provide, and what questions to ask.

As a librarian, I've read works about copyright targeted specifically for librarians. This book allowed me to look at a familiar topic from a different perspective. It's a useful addition to a copyright reference collection, and it's a source I'll consult in the future whenever I deal with copyright issues.

This review is based on a complimentary copy provided by the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jan 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a librarian, I was very excited to receive this book under the Early Reviewer program, and, subsequent to exploring it, would not hesitate to recommend it to our Collection Development Librarian. Copyright is not an easy subject to read about, and this book is no exception. It's a dense subject, with lots of subtleties and the particular subject of interest must be studied intensely to be understood at all. I was primarily interested so I'd be able to talk more knowledgeably with my patrons, who often claim Fair Use for anything they might want to copy. I now feel better able to discuss the subject with them in a way they will understand, although I can't say I expect them to heed me. I can also recommend this book to others as a way of learning more about the subject. Thanks, NOLO! ( )
  GoThouGeekly | Jan 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the 11th edition of the standard work on copyright, the usual excellent Nolo treatment that makes a complex issue coherent. I particularly like the organization, beginning with the basic explanation of what copyright is and how it differs from trademark in U.S. law, through to how to notify violators of the specific nature of their offense. The included CD-ROM provides useful forms.

As a writer, I find the arguments against copyright to be spurious, and this book provides powerful ammunition to use against those who think creative work has no value other than to provide free amusement for those who are unable to create it for themselves. ( )
  BasilBlue | Dec 29, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141330091X, Paperback)

Copyright law is a complex field, and it's crucial for writers to understand what's entailed. Stephen Fishman covers what a copyright is, how it's created and protected, limitations and transfer of ownership, how long it lasts, and what copyright infringement is all about. There are chapters on copyright registration, copyright notice, and how to deal with errors or omissions. Fishman also wades into the issues of derivative works and compilations, works for hire, and jointly authored works. He also tackles the confusion of copyrights in the online world of electronic publishing; the book is worth its price for this chapter alone. The appendix contains a variety of sample forms and blank forms and a PC-formatted disk of the same material.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:29 -0400)

"Provides all of the information and forms to protect written works under copyright law. The 11th edition includes the latest changes to copyright law plus new information on the registration process and options to file electronically"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Nolo

An edition of this book was published by Nolo.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Copyright Handbook by Stephen Fishman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible