Red by Jack Ketchum

Info:Leisure Books (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:horror

Red by Jack Ketchum

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
Wow! Two extremely powerful stories in one book that I could barely put down. I burned through the entire book in one day. First, the title story: RED. In the first few pages, Avery Ludlow loses his dog Red to some mean kids who shotgun it for no real reason. The rest of the story is about Ludlow and his search for justice. Not a "revenge above all us" type of justice but a true "put right what was wrong" type of justice. And what really carries the whole story forward and makes it work so well is Ludlow's character. Not just the character in the book but the personality and characteristics that make up this persona. He is incredibly real. The story just unfolds naturally with heart and truth. And that is what made me unable to put it down.

And then as a bonus, there is another story: THE PASSENGER. This one wasn't quite as rich as the first but it did grip you as you follow horror after horror befalling Janet Morris. Her bad day at work starts getting worse as her car breaks down on the way home and she quickly finds herself in one bad event after another. At times it reminded me of Joe Lansdale's short story "Steppin' Out, Summer, '68". If you liked that one (or probably any Lansdale), then you will like these stories. As for me, I'm hunting down more Ketchum novels because if all his stuff is like this, then he is going to quickly become one of my favorite authors. ( )
  dagon12 | Jan 19, 2015 |
A nice, quick read that kept me interested the entire way! "Red" is just plain and simple - don't fuck with a man's dog. Especially an old man and his old dog!
The second part of this book is the novella "The Passenger" which adheres to the old saying, don't hitch a ride - even in an emergency! Janet does, and well, all hell breaks loose for her! And quite a ride it turns out to be!
Good reads both, and definitely worth the time! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Feb 13, 2014 |
Another fantastic story!! This guy is the best author I have ever read!! ( )
  Tommie1 | Feb 23, 2013 |
Finished this in one sitting. Not a very long novel, but Ketchum managed to develop characters in his slightly over 200 pages to a degree that many novels don't do in three times that length. This is one of those novels that stays with you for some time. Out of the blue, it will come to mind and I'll find myself lost in reflection on some aspect of the story. Novels that stay with you like that are rare and this is one that I won't soon forget. I knock half a star off simply because I wanted to know more of the back stories on the boys....but man what a great read. ( )
  harpua | Dec 5, 2012 |
I don't like dogs but when this poor old mans dog got shot I wanted to kill the punk kids myself. This story to me is about a man that has lost everything and has nothing but his pride left to protect. His dog gets shot and he does what the law wont and handles business old school. ( )
  chenninger | Aug 1, 2011 |
Red (2008IMDb)
"To ache is human, not polite."

Emily Dickinson
"Here I am Lord, I'm

Knocking at your place of business...

I know I got no business here..."

Paul simon
For Neil, Aggie, Beast, Vinnie, and Zoe--furry friends past and present. Daily tutors in the art of caring. And for the real Red, gone now, who saved my Uncle's life as Sam Berry's dog does here.
The old man looked at the dog looking at him, watching his hands as they threaded the hook through the brown plastic worm to its bright orange tail, the old dog lying on the riverbank in a patch of late afternoon sunlight filtering through the trees.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843950404, Mass Market Paperback)

A horror story with a cruelty-to-animals theme. The boys who shoot an old man's dog, just for spite, find that before the day is ended there will be plenty more blood spilt. From the author of ROAD KILL and ONLY CHILD.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:34 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,255,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible