The Wounded Land by Stephen R. Donaldson

One of the things one should watch for while reading, to tell whether or not one is perusing literature rather than entertainment, is character development. Mr. Donaldson hasn't bothered to move Thomas Covenant to a different head-space than the one inhabited by the misanthrope explored in the first three novels. That being said, we come to the matter of entertainment value. Thomas covenant is not entertaining, and while the world constructed by Donaldson in the first three volumes is complicated, it is neither intriguingly complex, nor attractive to me. I haven't read anything by Stephen since, nor felt the desire to. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 1, 2014 |
Easily one of the worst books I've ever read. ( )
  sisyphist | Nov 30, 2013 |
I struggled with the black mood of this series, although I found the world building and characters kept me involved. ( )
  Scribble.Orca | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book was horrible and depressing. While it might have had its redeeming points, I couldn't get past the his raping of the woman in the beginning of the book. I don't care if he's a leper and can now feel his lower region. This story was horrible and should be avoided at all costs. ( )
  eheinlen | Feb 4, 2011 |
This is an unrelentingly bleak and dismal fantasy quest story in which not much happens, but just about every gloomy and despairing adjective in the English language is used repeatedly, and the characters are subjected to great horrors and almost die more than once.

I first read both of the Covenant Chronicles in the 80s while living in Alaska. I was an immature reader and thought these were good at the time. Re-reading the first book of the second series (there are two series of three books each) showed me the error of my ways. This is a depressing book, and I don't know when, if ever I might re-read the others. The author's overuse of archaic adjectives is really annoying. Not recommended. ( )
  janoorani24 | Mar 29, 2010 |

Stephen R. Donaldsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Lester Del Rey: Lester heeft er voor gezorgd dat ik dit schreef
When Linden Avery heard the knock at her door, she groaned aloud.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345348680, Mass Market Paperback)

Four thousand years have passed since Covenant first freed the Land from the devastating grip of Lord Foul and his minions. But he is back, and Convenant, armed with his stunning white gold magic, must battle the evil forces and his own despair....
THE SECOND CHRONICLE OF THOMAS COVENANT
Book OneTHE WOUNDED LAND
Book TwoTHE ONE TREE
Book ThreeWHITE GOLD WIELDER

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:14 -0400)

Returning to the fantastic land where he had routed the evil Lord Foul, Thomas Covenant, now a legendary hero, must once again take up the quest to destroy the land's sinister forces.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,468,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible