The Wounded Land by Stephen R. Donaldson
Recently added byM.Bird, weber93, hearjohn88, private library, WilGbn, LanvalsMaiden, profcobra, hlcoveyjr, hazem99

Having enjoyed the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant so much I could not resist diving straight into the second. Within a few pages you soon discover that this chronicles has been written as single story instead of three connected ones. How so? Well, this book does not come to a satisfying conclusion as all three previous did. There is a significant event near to the end of the book but it is not conclusive – no closure.
Thomas Covenant is still rages against himself while still learning to control his wild magic. Now though he does display moments of power that are capable of sundering the earth wide open. Through events in his own world he now has a travelling companion who has ‘issues’ of her own not too dissimilar at root to Covenant’s own.
The Wounded Land then, is in reality one seriously long prologue without which the rest of the chronicles would actually collapse into mediocrity. I say this because at the time of writing this review I am well into the next part and enjoying more because of the lengthy intro. There is a lot more subtly to the story’s deeper reaches.
The Land itself is a ruin of its former glory which tears at the heart of Thomas Covenant driving him to restore that land that he feels responsible for destroying. A vile and corrupted sun keeps the under its bane shifting between ravenous forms. The fierce heat that desecrates: the verdant sun that enforces wild growth, and the pestilent sun the withers life to a diseased pulp. Revelstone is in the hands of a Raver feeding the Sunbane with the blood of the people.
Covenant knows that the only hope is to restore the Law, to do that he will need to re-make the Staff of Law and thus the quest is born. A quest that will take him from one side of the land to the other and back again until at last he reaches the sea and ship-full of giants seeking to cure the ill of the earth.
So, as you can see there is a lot to get through in a single book, so fittingly, Stephen Donaldson does not try to cram it all in. Instead he spreads it out over a whole saga and digs deep into the psyche of Covenant, Linden, and a whole host of giants.
In short I found this book to be the best so far, not because of the story but because of its expanding detail and greater depth.
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
One of the things one should watch for while reading, to tell whether or not one is perusing literature rather than entertainment, is character development. Mr. Donaldson hasn't bothered to move Thomas Covenant to a different head-space than the one inhabited by the misanthrope explored in the first three novels. That being said, we come to the matter of entertainment value. Thomas covenant is not entertaining, and while the world constructed by Donaldson in the first three volumes is complicated, it is neither intriguingly complex, nor attractive to me. I haven't read anything by Stephen since, nor felt the desire to. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 1, 2014 |
Easily one of the worst books I've ever read. ( )
  sisyphist | Nov 30, 2013 |
I struggled with the black mood of this series, although I found the world building and characters kept me involved. ( )
  Scribble.Orca | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book was horrible and depressing. While it might have had its redeeming points, I couldn't get past the his raping of the woman in the beginning of the book. I don't care if he's a leper and can now feel his lower region. This story was horrible and should be avoided at all costs. ( )
  eheinlen | Feb 4, 2011 |

Stephen R. Donaldsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Lester Del Rey: Lester heeft er voor gezorgd dat ik dit schreef
When Linden Avery heard the knock at her door, she groaned aloud.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345348680, Mass Market Paperback)

Four thousand years have passed since Covenant first freed the Land from the devastating grip of Lord Foul and his minions. But he is back, and Convenant, armed with his stunning white gold magic, must battle the evil forces and his own despair....
THE SECOND CHRONICLE OF THOMAS COVENANT
Book OneTHE WOUNDED LAND
Book TwoTHE ONE TREE
Book ThreeWHITE GOLD WIELDER

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:51 -0400)

Returning to the fantastic land where he had routed the evil Lord Foul, Thomas Covenant, now a legendary hero, must once again take up the quest to destroy the land's sinister forces.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,950,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible