Shift by Jennifer Bradbury

Shift (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Bradbury

Authors:Jennifer Bradbury
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2012, Coming of age, cyckling

Shift by Jennifer Bradbury

I rate Shift by Jennifer Bradbury a three out of five because at some parts of the book it got boring with all of the flashbacks occurring. Every other chapter the plot would change from what was actually happening to flashbacks of what had already happened to the characters. This book had some moments where I wanted to keep reading but not many. ***plot may be revealed***
The themes in this book are discovery and deception. The books main theme is deception because throughout the book the main character, Chris and the FBI are trying to figure out what had happened to Chris' bestfriend Winston (Win). Winstons parents think the worst about Chris and think he had something to do with his disappearance after their argument on their bike ride out of town. This book shows discovery because Chris finally figured out what had happened to Win.
I recommend this book for people who enjoy to read about flashbacks and trying to figure out clues about someone through the authors writing. Overall I enjoyed this book. ( )
  anawesula | Sep 12, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
I found Shift by Jennifer Bradbury an interesting story of two young boys who, after graduating high school and before leaving for university, take a bike trip across the United States. When only one boy returns and resumes his life, questions arise as to the whereabouts of the other.

Told in a combination of flashbacks and current time, we learn about the boys, Chris and Win, what the trip means to both and where they feel they are going in life. When Win continues to be missing, an FBI investigation is launched and this investigation appears to be centered on Chris.

This is more of a story of relationships than a true mystery. As the details of the trip are revealed, the reader has a very good idea of what happened to Win. I enjoyed the story and my only quibble is that I felt the ending was a little to simplified. I should qualify this complaint with the allowance that this is a YA story and meant for a far younger audience than I. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 1, 2014 |

When best friends Chris and Win go on a cross country bicycle trek the summer after graduating and only one returns, the FBI wants to know what happened.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible