The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B…

The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again) (1975)

by Andy Warhol

English (7)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
I am glad to have experienced an Andy Warhol exhibition in Hong Kong a few years ago to provide some context to this work. Despite my initial trepidation, I found myself intrigued. Warhol seems to me to be Freudian in that he says what we all think but are afraid to say. Either that or I have a similar problem. Does it take one self-centred person to enjoy another self-centered person? Warhol has led me to read Freud and Truman Capote. But increasingly, I fear I am running out of time to read what I wish to read in my remaining lifetime. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
B: Is that a female impersonator?
A: Of what?

Enjoyable in both expected and unexpected ways - I was expecting glorified superficiality and amusingly glib comments, I was not expecting much in the way of warmth and genuine reflection - but the book contains both.

I discovered midway through reading (thanks to other Goodreads members' reviews) that Andy didn't actually pen the book himself which, were this any other artist, might be an outrage but with Warhol seems par for the course! It was actually ghost-written by Bob Colacello, Pat Hackett and Brigid Berlin (who is responsible for a chapter I-N-T-R-I-C-A-T-E-L-Y describing her incredibly thorough cleaning routine in minute detail which is by turns exasperating and jaw-dropping!)

Overall a fun read! ( )
1 vote birdsofparadise | Apr 30, 2013 |
Love it. ( )
  CarissaHolly | Mar 28, 2009 |
Warhol is a fascinating guy with some pretty crazy ideas. The last chapter alone, in which he expounds upon the fine art of underwear shopping, makes this book worth reading. Or at least skimming. Chapter titles include "How Andy Puts His Warhol On," "Death: All About It," and "Underwear Power: What I Do on Saturday When My Philosophy Runs Out." Hilarious. ( )
  seanj | Jul 8, 2008 |
Clever quotes from a clever man. For some reason Edie Sedgewick isn't named but referred to as Taxi. Reeks of Camp. Andy says if he's reincarnated he wants to come back as Donald Duck because his sailor suit is so cute. ( )
  latefordinner | Mar 11, 2007 |
To Pat Hackett, for extracting and redacting my thoughts so intelligently
To beautiful Brigid Polk, for being on the other end
To Bob Colacello, for getting it all together
To Steven M. L. Aronson, for being a great editor
I wake up and call B.

A loosely formed autobiography by Andy Warhol, told with his trademark blend of irony and detachment

In The Philosophy of Andy Warhol—which, with the subtitle "(From A to B and Back Again)," is less a memoir than a collection of riffs and reflections—he talks about love, sex, food, beauty, fame, work, money, and success; about New York, America, and his childhood in McKeesport, Pennsylvania; about his good times and bad in New York, the explosion of his career in the sixties, and his life among celebrities.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:22 -0400)

Warhol offers his observations of love, beauty, fame, work, and art and discusses the continuous play and display of his many fetishes.

Legacy Library: Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Andy Warhol's legacy profile.

See Andy Warhol's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118910X, 0141195037

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,673,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible