I Am Apache by Tanya Landman

I Am Apache (2008)

by Tanya Landman

This was a really great read ÛÒ full of action, bloodshed, excitement and heroism. It moves at a fast pace and I felt I was transported back to a time when nature ruled the pace of living. Siki is a very believable character with an authentic narration. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
After fourteen-year-old Siki witnesses her families’ murder, she turns to the path of the warrior to get revenge, a rare choice for an Apache girl. As she becomes more proficient as an Apache warrior, she faces the dual challenges of the enmity of a fellow young Apache warrior and the mysterious, possibly dishonorable circumstances surrounding her father’s death. This is a work of historical fiction and parts of the story are loosely based on actual events. The author admits that she was not trying be completely true to history although she has tried to stay mostly authentic in the details of the time period and Landman does supply a list of resources she consulted in writing the book. Despite any historical inaccuracies, it is an excellent glimpse into what life would have been like for an Apache girl living on the edge of Mexico as the white man began to covet and steal the Apache’s land. Siki is a clever, proud, and determined protagonist despite being a bit dense when it comes to things like romance. This book does deal with a few mature themes such as revenge, death, and war so it would be more suited to girls 13 and up. ( )
  robincar | Oct 20, 2013 |
KGV Shadowers REALLY wanted this book to win the 2008 Carnie Medal. A fascinating insight to a culture few of us have prior knowledge, with a strong and convincing female character, who by the last page of the book, the reader understands, even if they disagree with the choices that she makes.
Mrs. Farquhar January 2010
  KGVLibrary | Jan 18, 2010 |
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

At fourteen, Siki knows that she will walk a difficult path among her tribe. Having no talent for women's work, Siki has chosen to live and train as a warrior. Many of her fellow tribesmen view her as a disgrace; an outcast. Siki only wishes for one thing - revenge.

The senseless murders of her mother and younger brother have sparked a bitterness within Siki that cannot be extinguished. Every day the attackers live is another reminder of how her family was slaughtered. Siki's warrior spirit is strong and will not be bent. The pride she feels for her people is boundless. Her training is arduous, but necessary. What she learns as an Apache warrior may very well save her life and the lives of her people.

Her path is chosen; she does not look back.

Landman expresses in her author's note that she has not tried to create an accurate historical novel, but rather one that is based on true events. She wished to explore how one might have felt if put in Siki's situation. The author allows Siki to narrate her own story, thus producing an extremely strong piece of writing. Because of this, the reader becomes intimately involved with Siki and the events surrounding her.

Siki is filled with wisdom and courage and that will appeal to many young readers. Those who follow her on her journey will not be disappointed. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
I took this book with me on a weekend break, and the what with the wild January weather curtailing outdoor pursuits, managed to finish it!

The book is aimed at the teenage market, and is the tale of Siki, a young Apache girl who decides to follow the way of the warrior, rather than join the women of the tribe. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it's a sad but lyrical tale. (And being history, I could view the horrors from a distance, unlike the previous book I read).

I won't give away the twist at the end of the book, but it makes you ponder the whole nurture-nature debate - are we made by our genes or our surroundings? Do we follow the ways of our forebears, or do we owe our loyalty to those we live alongside, who have shaped our character, be they genetically linked or no?

I was thinking about buying this for a young relative (many describe it as suitable for 11+). Even though I (an adult) found it very moving, there are a lot of adult themes. If you have your own 11 year old, make up your own mind, but if it's for someone elses child, I'd wait until they're around 13/14 in case it gives them nightmares!
  mimi123 | Feb 28, 2009 |

A young woman seeks to avenge her brother's death by becoming an Apache warrior — and learns a startling truth about her own identity.

After watching helplessly as Mexican raiders brutally murder her little brother, fourteen-year-old Siki is filled with a desire for vengeance and chooses to turn away from a woman's path to become a warrior of her Apache tribe. Though some men, like envious Keste, wish to see Siki fail, she passes test after test, and her skills grow under the guidance of her tribe's greatest warrior, Golahka. But Keste begins to whisper about Siki's father's dishonorable death, and even as Siki earns her place among the warriors, she senses a dark secret in her past — one that will throw into doubt everything she knows. Taking readers on a sweeping and suspenseful journey through the nineteenth-century American Southwest, Tanya Landman draws on historical accounts to imagine the Black Mountain Apache as a tribe in a fight for survival against the devastating progress of nations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:11 -0400)

A young Apache woman, Siki seeks to avenge her brother's death by becoming an Apache warrior -- and learns a startling truth about her own identity.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763636649, 0763643750

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,754,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible