Naturalism by Stewart Goetz

Naturalism (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Stewart Goetz, Charles Taliaferro (Author)

472371,950 (4)None
Member:jxn
Title:Naturalism
Authors:Stewart Goetz
Other authors:Charles Taliaferro (Author)
Info:Grand Rapids, Mich. : William B. Eerdmans Pub., 2008.
Collections:Your library, printbooks
Tags:read, owned, printbook, research, paper, speech, met author

Naturalism (Interventions) by Stewart Goetz (2008)

Well reasoned and irenic. Although I'm not a philosopher, and only took a single philosophy class in college, I was able to understand the arguements, although I did read much slower than I usually do. If you are interested in scientism or naturalism and what the arguements are against them from a theist perspective I recomend this book. With naturalism and scientism almost assumed in the academy and throughout current Western culture, this book provides a nice counterpoint and a good foundation for a thoughtful and intellectually inclined theist. ( )
  Mike68 | Dec 5, 2008 |
Very insightful introduction to the naturalism debate. Also commendable is the scope of the project which isn't too pretentious; it is rather more modest and doesn't pretend to be full of "take-down" arguments but possesses much more nuance than I feel many readers of this work may be willing to offer themselves. A work to be taken seriously. ( )
  ericaustinlee | Jul 17, 2008 |

"Goetz and Taliaferro make the most rigorous popularly accessible reply yet to the new atheists, as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, and their lesser-known confreres have been dubbed. They critique philosophical naturalism, the bedrock of the new atheism, which holds that all phenomena can be accounted for by material physical processes, and also naturalist rejections of mind and the soul. They discriminate between strict and broad naturalisms. Strict naturalism rejects consciousness and so flies in the face of everyday notions of human decision making, motivation, and conceptualization, hence of behavioral ethics. Broad naturalism accepts consciousness, primarily out of lack of present understanding of it, assured that someday what consciousness is will be discovered" -- www.amazon.com

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,316,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible