Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass

Every Soul A Star (2008)

by Wendy Mass

4.5 stars for me. Thanks Wendy for not introducing an artificial crisis to insert some excitement into the story. Some folks might object that the kids go through so much growth in such a short time, making friends with new kids almost immediately... but they are young teens, and it is a summer situation, so I totally found their inner & interactive dramas plausible. And adorable. I don't know whether the 'tweens and young teens would like the book, though. No super-powers, paranormal stuff, anorexia or cutting, abuse... just a very nice story.

I think the parents are all pretty misguided, however. What do you think about them? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Do you like eclipse watching? In this book, Ally, Bree, and Josh go eclipse hunting. I like this book because all of the characters are different and they Change in the book. ( )
  AlexaB15 | Feb 24, 2016 |
This is a sweet story where some unlikely friendships are formed. It's not a quick read but well worth taking the time to give it a chance. There is a character for almost any reader to relate to in this book. ( )
  cminter | Feb 22, 2015 |
Amazing book! Want to do a read aloud to my new 5th grade class, it was that good! ( )
1 vote mcorbink | Jun 5, 2014 |
Don't get me wrong, I liked this book but I felt something was off. Firstly, the main characters "felt" older to me. Ally came across as more responsible and mature that the average 12 year old, while Bree came off is too worldly for her age. I also was looking for something a little more climactic toward the end and I felt it was a bit flat.

I did like the characters and the way the book was written from each perspective. I enjoyed Ally's straight-forward love of live and simplicity. I also liked the fact that she and her brother got on so well. Bree was not really a likable character as she was incredibly self-centered but I appreciated her growth and acceptance of her blossoming "inner-geek." However; the truly inspiring character was Jack. A lump by most standards who realized he was more and he could be more.

I am looking forward to sequel that will bring these characters back together and perhaps bring them closer to the stars.
1 vote weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
"In our world," said Eustace,

"a star is a huge ball of flaming gas."

"Even in your world, my son,

that is not what a star is,

but only what it is made of."

--from "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C. S. Lewis

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards."

--Fred Hoyle, British astronomer
For Steve, Kathy, and Judi Brawer, with love.
In Iceland, fairies live inside of rocks. Seriously. They have houses in there and school and amusement parks and everything. Besides me, not many people outside of Iceland know this.

Ally, Bree, and Jack meet at the one place the Great Eclipse can be seen in totality, each carrying the burden of different personal problems, which become dim when compared to the task they embark upon and the friendship they find.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,296,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible