Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass

Every Soul A Star (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Wendy Mass

Member:Lindabugliosi
Title:Every Soul A Star
Authors:Wendy Mass
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (2008)

Ally has lived most of her life in a remote campground, is home schooled, and loves her life in the wilderness. She never wants to leave. Bree is a fashion and beauty obsessed city girl whose parents are bringing the family to the remote campground to take it over, when Ally's family leaves. She doesn't want to be there at all. Jack is an introverted artistic slacker, whose science teacher sees potential in him, even after he failed the class, and asks him to accompany a group to the campground, and assist him with an astronomical experiment while there.
The key event: A total eclipse of the sun.
The interpersonal relationships are well crafted, as three people who would never pay any attention to each other under normal circumstances, end up developing a friendship. (My initial distaste for Bree softened as the book developed.)

And - as I read the book one week before heading to South Carolina to see the total eclipse on Aug. 21, 2017, it also gave me some good tips, and made me even more excited about what I'm going to see! (Weather permitting.) ( )
  fingerpost | May 10, 2018 |
The lives of three young people intersect and transform against the backdrop of a total solar eclipse. Homeschooled, Ally has grown up at the remote Moon Shadow Campground, which her family runs. An eclipse, which can be viewed only from this site, is approaching, and ahead of it come Bree, an aspiring model obsessed with popularity, and Jack, a reclusive artist and avid sci-fi reader. Ally's sheltered world is about to open up as she discovers that her parents plan to cede management of the campground to Bree's parents after the event. Neither Ally nor Bree is excited about the prospect, but as the teens interact they come to terms with the changes they face. Meanwhile, introverted Jack finds himself making friends and becoming a leader. As they go their separate ways, all three approach the future with a newfound balance between their internal and their external lives. ( )
  LynneQuan | Oct 15, 2017 |
4.5 stars for me. Thanks Wendy for not introducing an artificial crisis to insert some excitement into the story. Some folks might object that the kids go through so much growth in such a short time, making friends with new kids almost immediately... but they are young teens, and it is a summer situation, so I totally found their inner & interactive dramas plausible. And adorable. I don't know whether the 'tweens and young teens would like the book, though. No super-powers, paranormal stuff, anorexia or cutting, abuse... just a very nice story.

I think the parents are all pretty misguided, however. What do you think about them? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Do you like eclipse watching? In this book, Ally, Bree, and Josh go eclipse hunting. I like this book because all of the characters are different and they Change in the book. ( )
  AlexaB15 | Feb 24, 2016 |
This is a sweet story where some unlikely friendships are formed. It's not a quick read but well worth taking the time to give it a chance. There is a character for almost any reader to relate to in this book. ( )
  cminter | Feb 22, 2015 |
"In our world," said Eustace,

"a star is a huge ball of flaming gas."

"Even in your world, my son,

that is not what a star is,

but only what it is made of."

--from "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" by C. S. Lewis

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards."

--Fred Hoyle, British astronomer
For Steve, Kathy, and Judi Brawer, with love.
In Iceland, fairies live inside of rocks. Seriously. They have houses in there and school and amusement parks and everything. Besides me, not many people outside of Iceland know this.

Ally, Bree, and Jack meet at the one place the Great Eclipse can be seen in totality, each carrying the burden of different personal problems, which become dim when compared to the task they embark upon and the friendship they find.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,797,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible