The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel

The Valley of Horses (original 1982; edition 1982)

by Jean M. Auel

Member:wtoomey
Title:The Valley of Horses
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Info:Crown Pub (1982), Edition: Later Printing, Hardcover
Tags:Stone age, fantasy

The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel (1982)

Recently added byvas123, okami66, Inzey, Verkruissen, Bandit2002, occy.senior, Thru, Cloud8x4, private library

English (73)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (86)
Amazing story. A little hard to follow in the beginning when you are meeting new characters, and I was worried I would not be able to finish it for having trouble seeing how it was going to come together, but the author does so in an amazing way. The last several chapters are full of suspense, as you do not know which way it is going to go and what is going to happen. I am glad I stuck it out because it was well worth it. Can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
After The Mammoth Hunters, I probably wouldn't have read this if a friend hadn't passed on her copy. It was as good as the first in the series, however, with well drawn characters. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

Right after finishing The Clan of the Cage Bear I wanted to read this second book The Valley of Horses.

But for me it missed something. Ayla has left the people she grew up with and in search of The Others, but mainly she's just sitting in a cave, personally inventing all kinds of stuff. (It is almost as if she herself invents both the wheel and fire)

I thought it was a bit too much, I liked her better when she wasn't all this perfect.

As for Jondalar, I don't like him either. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HirokoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karen,
who read the first draft of both,
and for Asher
with Love
She was dead. What did it matter if icy needles of freezing rain flayed her skin raw.

This unforgettable odyssey into the distant past carries us back to the awesome mysteries of the exotic, primeval world of The Clan of the Cave Bear, and to Ayla, now grown into a beautiful and courageous young woman.

Cruelly cast out by the new leader of the ancient Clan that adopted her as a child, Ayla leaves those she loves behind and travels alone through a stark, open land filled with dangerous animals but few people, searching for the Others, tall and fair like herself. The short summer gives her little time to look, and when she finds a sheltered valley with a herd of hardy steppe horses, she decides to stay and prepare for the long glacial winter ahead. Living with the Clan has taught Ayla many skills but not real hunting. She finally knows she can survive when she traps a horse, which gives her meat and a warm pelt for the winter, but fate has bestowed a greater gift, an orphaned foal with whom she develops a unique kinship. One winter extends to more; she discovers a way to make fire more quickly and a wounded cave lion cub joins her unusual family, but her beloved animals don’t fulfill her restless need for human companionship. Then she hears the sound of a man screaming in pain. She saves tall, handsome Jondalar, who brings her a language to speak and an awakening of love and desire, but Ayla is torn between her fear of leaving her valley and her hope of living with her own kind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:11 -0400)

Second in the acclaimed Earth's Children series. Ayla leaves those she loves behind and travels alone through a stark open land filled with dangerous animals but few people, searching for the Others, tall and fair like herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,228,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible