The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel

The Valley of Horses (original 1982; edition 1982)

by Jean M. Auel

Member:wtoomey
Title:The Valley of Horses
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Info:Crown Pub (1982), Edition: Later Printing, Hardcover
Tags:Stone age, fantasy

The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel (1982)

Recently added by-Yseult-, private library, DvAnarion, LesleyChildress, TeresaWesterman, Rabain, c_neva, Natsirema

English (70)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (83)
Am I the only one the worried endlessly that Ayla might not survive her first winter alone? Am I the only one that noticed this went from interesting survivalist fiction/prehistorical speculative fiction to straight overtly sexual romance? Still, I liked it more than I disliked. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 9, 2014 |
I still find myself absorbed into this story. There's none of the endless repetition of the last two books in the series. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 9, 2014 |
The adventures of Ayla continue in Valley of the Horses. The book is a great read as far as how new characters are introduced. I liked the way she alternated chapters with Ayla and Jondalar and his brother Thonalan. My only turn off in this book was the characters from the last book were not included in this, so there was no mention on how there lives went on without Ayla there, which was something I wanted to know. ( )
  TerrillDavis | Oct 15, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

Right after finishing The Clan of the Cage Bear I wanted to read this second book The Valley of Horses.

But for me it missed something. Ayla has left the people she grew up with and in search of The Others, but mainly she's just sitting in a cave, personally inventing all kinds of stuff. (It is almost as if she herself invents both the wheel and fire)

I thought it was a bit too much, I liked her better when she wasn't all this perfect.

As for Jondalar, I don't like him either. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
An exercise in futility. If Ayla is such a strong woman, why is she acting like the modern-day equivalent of a giggling 15-year-old girl hiding behind her locker at school when she sees her latest crush? The touch-me/don't-touch-me ridiculousness between Ayla and Jondalar is completely unbelievable; prehistorical persons would just not act that way because that is a learned societal behavior and I refuse to believe prehistorical humans would act like a 12-year-old Selena Gomez. ( )
  amandacb | Aug 31, 2014 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HirokoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karen,
who read the first draft of both,
and for Asher
with Love
She was dead. What did it matter if icy needles of freezing rain flayed her skin raw.

This unforgettable odyssey into the distant past carries us back to the awesome mysteries of the exotic, primeval world of The Clan of the Cave Bear, and to Ayla, now grown into a beautiful and courageous young woman.

Cruelly cast out by the new leader of the ancient Clan that adopted her as a child, Ayla leaves those she loves behind and travels alone through a stark, open land filled with dangerous animals but few people, searching for the Others, tall and fair like herself. The short summer gives her little time to look, and when she finds a sheltered valley with a herd of hardy steppe horses, she decides to stay and prepare for the long glacial winter ahead. Living with the Clan has taught Ayla many skills but not real hunting. She finally knows she can survive when she traps a horse, which gives her meat and a warm pelt for the winter, but fate has bestowed a greater gift, an orphaned foal with whom she develops a unique kinship. One winter extends to more; she discovers a way to make fire more quickly and a wounded cave lion cub joins her unusual family, but her beloved animals don’t fulfill her restless need for human companionship. Then she hears the sound of a man screaming in pain. She saves tall, handsome Jondalar, who brings her a language to speak and an awakening of love and desire, but Ayla is torn between her fear of leaving her valley and her hope of living with her own kind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:11 -0400)

Second in the acclaimed Earth's Children series. Ayla leaves those she loves behind and travels alone through a stark open land filled with dangerous animals but few people, searching for the Others, tall and fair like herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,503,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible