The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel

The Valley of Horses (original 1982; edition 1982)

by Jean M. Auel

Member:wtoomey
Title:The Valley of Horses
Authors:Jean M. Auel
Info:Crown Pub (1982), Edition: Later Printing, Hardcover
Tags:Stone age, fantasy

The Valley of Horses by Jean M. Auel (1982)

English (65)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (77)
Through a series of events, Ayla meets Jondalaar, becoming my favorite literary couple, other than Father Ralph and Meggie. Ayla befriends a wild horse and a lion cub. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Ook verschenen als: De vallei van de paarden
  Marjoles | Jul 13, 2014 |
I am learning a lot from this novel.

Just to name a couple of the things I have learned: 'Never go forth when mammoths go north'. I am sure that is a maxim to live by.

And apparently 'You have a beautiful smile' has been a successful pick-up line since the palaeolithic.

The ridiculous moments weren't enough to carry me any further. I give up. There are too many books in the world I want to read to waste any more time with this one. I don't remember 'Clan of the Cave Bear' being this dire?! But I did read it a long time ago.
  dylkit | Feb 3, 2014 |
loved all of the books in this series. So well written and so well researched. There was a lot for me to discover her, even in "middle age". I know it's overused, but this series is truly classic. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Sep 20, 2013 |
Not up to the standard of Clan Of The Cave Bear, but still gripping.
I had trouble remembering so many characters in this one, but I loved the passages of Ayla learning to survive in the Cave with her horse and Baby the lion. ( )
  gogglemiss | Aug 14, 2013 |

Jean M. Auelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hakala, ErkkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HirokoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mörling, MikaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Karen,
who read the first draft of both,
and for Asher
with Love
She was dead. What did it matter if icy needles of freezing rain flayed her skin raw.

This unforgettable odyssey into the distant past carries us back to the awesome mysteries of the exotic, primeval world of The Clan of the Cave Bear, and to Ayla, now grown into a beautiful and courageous young woman.

Cruelly cast out by the new leader of the ancient Clan that adopted her as a child, Ayla leaves those she loves behind and travels alone through a stark, open land filled with dangerous animals but few people, searching for the Others, tall and fair like herself. The short summer gives her little time to look, and when she finds a sheltered valley with a herd of hardy steppe horses, she decides to stay and prepare for the long glacial winter ahead. Living with the Clan has taught Ayla many skills but not real hunting. She finally knows she can survive when she traps a horse, which gives her meat and a warm pelt for the winter, but fate has bestowed a greater gift, an orphaned foal with whom she develops a unique kinship. One winter extends to more; she discovers a way to make fire more quickly and a wounded cave lion cub joins her unusual family, but her beloved animals don’t fulfill her restless need for human companionship. Then she hears the sound of a man screaming in pain. She saves tall, handsome Jondalar, who brings her a language to speak and an awakening of love and desire, but Ayla is torn between her fear of leaving her valley and her hope of living with her own kind.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:11 -0400)

Second in the acclaimed Earth's Children series. Ayla leaves those she loves behind and travels alone through a stark open land filled with dangerous animals but few people, searching for the Others, tall and fair like herself.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible