Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory

Pandemonium (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Daryl Gregory

4723032,561 (4)24
Member:DarylGregory
Title:Pandemonium
Authors:Daryl Gregory
Info:Del Rey (2008), Paperback, 304 pages

Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory (2008)

Come Closer by Sara Gran (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Hitchers by Will Mcintosh (GirlMisanthrope)
    The Many Deaths of the Firefly Brothers by Thomas Mullen (GirlMisanthrope)
    In The Palace Of Repose by Holly Phillips (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: Well respected for his short stories (which would also appeal to a fan of Phillips' collection, In the Palace of Repose), Daryl Gregory has written a novel whose texture is so similar in places to some of these stories you would think the two works were written by brother and sister. (High praise for both writers, I assure you.)… (more)

This was an interesting urban fantasy type book about an alternate world where a set of demons periodically possess people. It’s a stand alone book and a creative read, but was a little hard to follow at times.

Parts of the story get a bit ambiguous and hard to follow; Del is struggling with his reality and some other realities which can be a bit tough to keep track of. However, it ended up being a decent story that kept my attention up to the end.

I really enjoyed the world-building. I also loved how supportive Del’s family was despite him going through some pretty rough stuff throughout the story. I also thought the twist at the end was interesting and completely unpredictable without seeming contrived.

Overall I enjoyed this book. It was a creative urban fantasy read with some amazing world-building, an engaging story, and characters that are flawed but still surprisingly likable. I would recommend to those who enjoy gritty urban fantasy that’s a bit ambiguous at times. ( )
  krau0098 | May 19, 2018 |
3 stars

I liked this story’s concept but the execution fell short, partly due to some editing mistakes (is Del’s brother “Lew” or “Lou”?), and partly the novel’s wildly inconsistent pacing. It was a unique story and actually pretty good taking into account this is a debut novel. His writing definitely improves with his later books, especially [b:We Are All Completely Fine|20344877|We Are All Completely Fine|Daryl Gregory|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1407196510s/20344877.jpg|28350172].

This book is definitely off-beat and wonderfully strange. There are tons of cultural and sci-fi/ fantasy references (the most humorous was Philip K. Dick being possessed by the demon, Valis), and many fantastically weird characters. I really wish the story worked better. As I mentioned, the pacing was odd, jumping all over the place. Another awkward piece was the unnecessary romance, which did nothing to help the story.

Overall, not a bad read. It just needed a stronger editor to reign it in. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
One of my favorite new (to me) authors! Loved his take on super-heroes/villains and the mind's ability to change the world. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
Found this a fascinating read at first, then it lost me towards the middle to end there... Grew a bit mundane. The concept of demonic possessions going mainstream, and the different characteristics focused on each demon was a very original concept, this part I really enjoyed, as well as the narrators struggle with fighting off his inner demon.
I don't know, I guess I was hoping to gain more from it. I am picky ! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | Jun 28, 2017 |
Pandemonium takes place in a world pretty much like our own, except that there are "demons" (entity actually unidentified) that possess people. The narrator was possessed as a young boy but believes the demon never left his head, so he is seeking help with that. I don't want to say too much about the plot because I think part of this book's pleasure lies in the discovery. I enjoyed this read, although I found it light. The characters are well done, and there are plenty of fun pop-culture references. The story moved along at a nice place, although I would have appreciated more information about who or what the demons are exactly and how they came to be in the world. It's always good when a premise is interesting enough that the reader wants more, rather than less. ( )
  sturlington | Jun 1, 2017 |
to Kathy, who knew before I did
The woman next to me said, It's the Kamikaze.

It is a world like our own in every respect . . . save one. In the 1950s, random acts of possession begin to occur. Ordinary men, women, and children are the targets of entities that seem to spring from the depths of the collective unconscious, pop-cultural avatars some call demons. There’s the Truth, implacable avenger of falsehood. The Captain, brave and self-sacrificing soldier. The Little Angel, whose kiss brings death, whether desired or not. And a string of others, ranging from the bizarre to the benign to the horrific.

As a boy, Del Pierce is possessed by the Hellion, an entity whose mischief-making can be deadly. With the help of Del’s family and a caring psychiatrist, the demon is exorcised . . . or is it? Years later, following a car accident, the Hellion is back, trapped inside Del’s head and clamoring to get out.

Del’s quest for help leads him to Valis, an entity possessing the science fiction writer formerly known as Philip K. Dick; to Mother Mariette, a nun who inspires decidedly unchaste feelings; and to the Human League, a secret society devoted to the extermination of demons. All believe that Del holds the key to the plague of possession–and its solution. But for Del, the cure may be worse than the disease.

“Look out, Lethem! Daryl Gregory mixes pop culture and pathos, flavoring it with Philip K. Dick. Pandemonium possesses every quality you want in a great novel, and the good news is it’s only his debut.”
–Charles Coleman Finlay, Hugo and Nebula Award-nominated author of The Prodigal Troll

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:22 -0400)

In the 1950s, ordinary people of varying ages and backgrounds are possessed by entities that seem to spring from the collective unconscious, that many would call demons. It is believed that the key to resolving this plague pivots around the possessed Del Pierce; for whom the cure may be worse than the disease.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,535,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible