Babymouse, Monster Mash by Jennifer L. Holm

Babymouse, Monster Mash

by Jennifer L. Holm

Babymouse: Monster Mash by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm is the ninth book in the series. It's also the first of two books to break with the bubble gum pink color scheme. As it's a Halloween book, it goes with pumpkin orange. The other one, a Christmas book, goes with green and red.

Babymouse apparently loves Halloween for all the scary elements. Although I've now read five Babymouse books, I still don't understand the main character. Her personality seems to fit whatever the theme of the current issue is. In this case, it means she's nuts about Halloween, including making her own scary costume from scratch (even though we've seen her go through bouts of extreme laziness, such as in Babymouse Burns Rubber).

Now since Halloween is all about scary costumes and getting the most candy ever, that's, of course, what Babymouse is into. So of course, her nemesis tells her that girls have dress in pretty costumes because it's a rule. I guess this is the kid's version of the "sexy ____" costumes hocked at twenty something women in those obnoxious fly by night Halloween stores. So of course, because the plot calls for it, Babymouse decides to do everything the popular girl tells her.

While I liked the stylistic change from the Pepto pink, I wanted more from Babymouse. Mostly I want a consistent personality. She's too much a pawn of narrative conventions. I guess all the creative umph for this issue was spent on breaking free of pink. ( )
  pussreboots | Mar 1, 2014 |
I really like that this was orange instead of pink. I like the art and the humor is fun, but I don't know that I could really handle another pink volume. (I say this knowing the next one will probably be pink again, but it's nice to have a break.) We're not breaking a lot of new ground in this volume--Babymouse still bows to what Felicia Furrypaws says until she reaches her breaking point, and then goes back to being herself again. But it's cute and funny, so it gets points for that. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Another awesome babymouse book. I the babymouse books and the crazy antics. A great tool to teach the difference between right and wrong. Right to be yourself, wrong to steal baby brother's candy
  aevans1 | Nov 27, 2012 |
elementary, 4starP ( )
  saraml | Apr 19, 2010 |
Babymouses spookiest special yet!! Her halloween will truly be something to remember
  alexlea | Jul 13, 2009 |

IT WAS A dark and scary Halloween. . . .

This year, Babymouse is determined to have the best Halloween costume and the best Halloween party ever. Will Babymouse be the monster of her dreams? Will Felicia Furrypaws come to the party? And is that really the creature from the black lagoon living in Babymouse’s locker? Find out in the most exciting Babymouse graphic novel yet, Monster Mash!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:52 -0400)

A graphic novel following the Halloween adventures of Babymouse, an imaginative young mouse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,674,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible