The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (2008)

by Matthew Quick

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in style, both of these charming novels feature protagonists trying to do what's right (and figure out what that might be). The books are upbeat, funny, and moving by turns, and it's easy to relate to the characters.… (more)
    The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving: A Novel by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

Oh my gosh! I loved this book! The book's settings take place in Maryland, NJ and Philly! All places I know very well. It was great to hear references to places like malls & neighborhoods, bridges, interstates, & roads that I know mentioned throughout this book. The characters were so good & I loved them all. I thought I knew what was going to happen to the main character early on in the story but the plot kept moving along with new developments and twists & connections. I couldn't put this book down. I laughed and sighed with the main character & his struggle. Pat's optimism was infectious and I wanted a happy ending so bad for him & his family. While it wasn't what he had hoped, it still worked out well. Life is like that. Bad things happen to all of us as we journey through life but what matters is how we deal with it and what, or who, we become after it. What makes us move forward when our world falls apart & what keeps us stuck in the past unable to let it go? I really enjoyed this book & can't wait to see the movie. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Mixed feelings overall about this one. I loved the overall plot of the story, and the voice of the main character was wonderful. My issue lies with the details of the main character's accident. This is why neuropsychologists should not read fiction books like this - it's too easy to spot the flaws and get focused on them. I'm anxious to see the movie. ( )
  joyhclark | Jan 20, 2016 |
I saw the movie and I loved it. read the book, Loved it too! ( )
  dom76 | Jan 8, 2016 |
Loved the book. Loved the movie. They are not identical, but in this instance it didn't bother me at all. ( )
  CassandraSabo | Dec 5, 2015 |
Light in his book mimishnosti really pretends to be the soul of the book 2012.

Everything is very simple:
Is he the guy came out of a mental hospital, where he spent the last 4 years, for which a lot of things happened - forcibly organized divorce, man was left with nothing but memories that he has a wife, and that we must try to In order to get her back. For a seemingly short period much has changed, and their relatives, and the familiar world around.

Is she a beauty, lost her husband, lost in the chaos of their own sensuality, not knowing what to do with itself.

There are two worlds touch sufficiently unfortunate people who want to be so important and necessary.

There is a touching story of human sympathy and mutual assistance, full-dramedi humor, able to dispel depressive moods of the city and filled with rays of good mood.

Any adaptation of the book, nominated for several major film awards, in particular for acting work - Bradley Cooper (PET), Robert De Niro (father) + Oscar-winning role Jennifer Lawrence (Tiffany).

There is a wonderful feeling that this is the best book to finish on a high note a difficult and largely rotten leap in 2012 with his end of the world and all the attendant. ( )
  edubirdie.com | Nov 3, 2015 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:39 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,234,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible