The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (2008)

by Matthew Quick

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

It took me a quite a while to read through this one. Not because it was bad, just because it didn't end each chapter on a cliffhanger of any sort. Also, the narrator has a strange way of writing that makes you feel like he is a child at times rather than a full grown man. I found this a little off-putting at times. However, once I got past all that, I really enjoyed this book. The characters all seemed realistic and very human. The story revolves a lot around the narrator's relationship with his father and their love of football. The book mentioned football a little too much for my tastes, but a football fan may enjoy some of the trivia and tidbits in there. I most liked the love story between Pat and Tiffany, two broken people dealing with different life difficulties and struggling with bipolar disorder and depression, respectively. For those that have seen the movie, the book and the movie are *very* similar with just a few differences. I liked the book better than the movie though, because I felt the ending was more satisfying. ( )
1 vote AlbinoRhino | Mar 21, 2014 |
This is a beautiful book.

It reads a bit like 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' but it's not like that. This book is about the love of family and friends and what it takes to deal with mental illness or brain-damage. ...and what that MEANS to those people suffering from such afflictions.

Whichever reviewer simply stated 'This book ruins the endings to classic literature.' Should not be taken into account when deciding to read this. (I almost DIDN'T read this because of that review!) the protagonist BRIEFLY discusses 'The Scarlett Letter', 'The Bell Jar', and 'Catcher in the Rye'. Don't let that be the reason you don't read this! ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Mixed feelings overall about this one. I loved the overall plot of the story, and the voice of the main character was wonderful. My issue lies with the details of the main character's accident. This is why neuropsychologists should not read fiction books like this - it's too easy to spot the flaws and get focused on them. I'm anxious to see the movie. ( )
  joyhclark | Mar 13, 2014 |
This was a nice book, as the hit movie based on it was a nice movie. The film veered from the book in a number of details, most importantly in making Pat’s father a good deal more sympathetic, but the overall tone is the same: warm, kind and quirky.

In the book, Pat Peoples (changed in the movie to Politano) has been released from a “neural health facility” where he lived for several years. He suffers from memory loss, and, unlike the movie, the traumatizing incident leading to his hospitalization is not revealed until late in the story. His goal in life is winning back the affection of his estranged wife, although everyone in his life knows it is a lost cause. Heavy issues – too bad his family, friends and even his therapist are more concerned with the Eagles football team. As he tries to readjust to life, he befriends a fellow neurotic, Tiffany, who doesn’t give a damn about football and just may be Pat’s way out of craziness into a whole life.

This was an easy, enjoyable and upbeat read. Pat is the most appealing fictional nut-job I’ve ever come across. I didn’t even mind the football stuff. ( )
  CasualFriday | Feb 9, 2014 |
My response to this book can pretty much be summed up in the following words: HOLY SHIT I FUCKING LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

I saw the movie when it first came to video and thought it was charming, but I wasn’t really passionate about it, y’know? It just seemed like a cute rom-com starring Jennifer Lawrence. But the book? The book is AMAZING, and it’s all about hope and silver linings and seeing the beauty in things and wanting to be nice to people, and every time I read this book I’d end up grinning as I turned the pages.

I loved the narration of the book. If you’ve ever read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (you should have, and if you haven’t, go read it RIGHT NOW), it feels similar to that. You know Pat isn’t mentally stable. You don’t know what his diagnosis is, if it’s mental illness, brain injury, or what, but his instability is reflected his the prose. It’s simple, often (purposely and effectively) repetitive, and quite honestly, very beautiful. There aren’t big words, but the ideas and happenings are deep, poignant, and come across perfectly, in my opinion.

Most importantly, I think, the book makes you think and it makes you FEEL. We’ve all been that person, at some point in our lives, who’s the butt of the joke. We may laugh along to keep face, but on the inside, in hurts. We’ve probably all been in a situation where the group is doing something you don’t agree with, but you don’t want to speak up. We’ve dealt with the guilt later, because we were scared to go against our friends. We’ve all felt like we didn’t fit in, and that we didn’t understand why – what is wrong with us that so and so doesn’t love us like we love them. We’ve all been rejected. We’ve all made mistakes. We’ve all hurt people we loved.

This book made me laugh. It made me cry, it made me uncomfortable, and it made me very happy. It made me fall in love with Pat and his quest for silver linings. Reading this book was a complete experience, because it touched all my emotions. When I turned the last page, I immediately flipped backwards and reread my favorite parts. Then I placed it on the shelf of books I have informally labeled “BECCA’S BEST AND FAVORITEST BOOKS OF ALL TIME” – the shelf where I only put the best of the best, the books I reach for when I want a comfort read, the book I consider my best friends, the shelf originally inhabited solely by the Harry Potter saga but that’s slowly been added to over time. It’s a prestigious position for a book to be placed in (at least in my household), and no book should take the honor lightly.

I honestly have no bad things to say about this book. 5/5 stars. ( )
  BookishMatters | Dec 15, 2013 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:29:03 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible