The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (2008)

by Matthew Quick

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in style, both of these charming novels feature protagonists trying to do what's right (and figure out what that might be). The books are upbeat, funny, and moving by turns, and it's easy to relate to the characters.… (more)
    The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

EDIT: Febrero 2015.

(Fuente)

Reseña Original: Agosto 2013

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I was pretty disappointed by The Silver Linings Playbook. Like many people, I wanted to read it after hearing how good the movie was and I have to say now is that I hope the movie is loosely base on the book and better. Not once did the author say that Pat Peoples was bipolar, just that he had a mental illness, so I blame myself for letting information about the movie influence my opinion of the book because for most of the book I thought he was suppose to be bipolar and it wasn't an accurate description of it but he isn't just some kind of mental illness that the readers are not told. Pat didn't always have this mental illness either so it is something that is newly effecting him. With that said I disliked how his character thought and talked, almost like he was a pre-schooler, which led me to believe maybe he's mentally challenged now? But no, the book says mentally ill not handicapped. I thought the reason why he went to the "bad place" was obvious from the beginning, I thought what Tiffany was doing was also obvious when it started. I wish more of the book was about his relationship with her while they were training for the dance, the author goes in great detail about the Eagles to the point where its beyond what the reader needs to know, but this part is rushed through. I did enjoy the ending, it is probably the only redeeming part of the book that makes it worth the buy. Finally, I don't understand how people find the book funny, Pat is obviously struggling throughout most of the book and kind of delusional, it's sad, not funny. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
So, you've seen the movie, how's the book different? The single biggest difference between "Silver Linings" movie and book is tone. The movie is a great romance while addressing other issues (family, friendship, recovery) somewhat tangentially. The book has romance but focuses more on Pat's recovery, and his reliance on family and friends to get there. It is more of a drama than a romance. I am a romantic, I gave the movie a 5 and the book a 4. But I will read more Matthew Quick.

Now for some of the details, in no particular order. Pat has been hospitalized for quite a while, and his brain is a bit fried when he comes out. He struggles very hard to control his temper. Dad (DeNiro) is not a bookie, but he is quite a grump throughout. So there is no Dallas bettor in the book. Also, Danny, the black hospital inmate pops up only at the very end of the book in a rather unlikely moment. The book is less about Tiffany than it is about Pat; there are more details about her husband's death. One of the big keys to the book is what was it that triggered Pat's hospitalization, particularly why does the song create so much emotion in Pat. In the movie, the dance performance and the moments minutes later are the climax, but after the dance the book still has another quarter to go. There is a sexy shaving scene I wish had been in the movie. The book has a particularly great chapter where voices from the other main characters are talking to Pat, one at a time, each for about a paragraph or two. In the book, mom goes on strike. So, yes, as usual, the book is a good bit richer, but this is one of those rare circumstances where each contributes a slightly different take on the same basic story to the benefit of movie goer and reader alike. ( )
  maneekuhi | Apr 13, 2015 |
I saw the movie before reading this book. I now want to see the movie again so I can actually decide which one I like better. I enjoyed this book.

You have Pat Peeples that has just come out of a mental facility (the bad place). According to Pat this is his movie. He has been in the bad place for a few years and doesn't realize it. Pat wants to end apart time from Nikki.

You also meet the odd Tiffany. She also has a mental problem. Tiffany becomes Pat's friend and tells him things that others are afraid to tell him. She is brutally honest at times. ( )
  crazy4reading | Mar 6, 2015 |
I loved the book and the movie! It will make you laugh and cry at the same time! The Silver Linings Playbook is the poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal. In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:39 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,959,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible