The Silver Linings Playbook (film tie-in) by…

The Silver Linings Playbook (film tie-in) (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Matthew Quick

After Pat Peoples and his wife Nikki separate, he goes to live with his parents but everything seems changed. No one wants to talk to him about Nikki, his old friends are busy with their families, and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as therapy. He meets Tiffany, a clinically depressed widow, who offers to act as a liaison between the couple if Pat will give up watching football, agrees to perform in the Dance Away Depression competition and not tell anyone about their contract.… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Silver Linings Playbook (film tie-in)
Authors:Matthew Quick
Info:Picador (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 289 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (2008)

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in style, both of these charming novels feature protagonists trying to do what's right (and figure out what that might be). The books are upbeat, funny, and moving by turns, and it's easy to relate to the characters.… (more)
    The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

English (105)  German (1)  All languages (106)
I picked this audiobook up as a free offer from Audible - I probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise, though I had enjoyed the movie. However, as is not uncommon, I found the book had a lot more depth to it than the film adaptation.

Although the exact cause of Pat's mental (neural?) issues is never fully explained (though towards the end enough information is given to allow the reader a pretty good idea), I felt that Quick's portrayal of someone struggling to regain 'mental stability' quite believable. Pat is much more damaged than the film had led me to expect and his belief in silver linings less charming but more touching.

Although I am not personally a football fan, the brotherhood of fans depicted resonated with me (having grown up with a mother and brother who are die hard Red Sox fans). ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 3, 2019 |
For those who like reading books with an unreliable narrator, flawed characters, family drama, light football talk, sad times, humor.

Audio book recommended! ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
I think this one was more disturbing than it was intended to be. Pat is in his mid-thirties and is just moving in with his parents after a long stint in a psych ward. There's a hidden past, obscured by Pat's delusions, child-like mind, and bursts of anger that keep others from talking about what's really going on. He is set up with a friend's sister in law, Tiffany, who has also lost her independence due to a breakdown. In her own strange way, she tries to draw him out. There's a quirky cast of characters lending a cutesy tone to the story that jars with the sadness. There is also an amazing amount of football going on. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
3.5 stars. For the first time in my life I think the movie is better. I enjoyed the book, but I was moved by the film. I think I really prefer Pat's story being told from the third person.. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
I was pretty disappointed by The Silver Linings Playbook. Like many people, I wanted to read it after hearing how good the movie was and I have to say now is that I hope the movie is loosely base on the book and better. Not once did the author say that Pat Peoples was bipolar, just that he had a mental illness, so I blame myself for letting information about the movie influence my opinion of the book because for most of the book I thought he was suppose to be bipolar and it wasn't an accurate description of it but he isn't just some kind of mental illness that the readers are not told. Pat didn't always have this mental illness either so it is something that is newly effecting him. With that said I disliked how his character thought and talked, almost like he was a pre-schooler, which led me to believe maybe he's mentally challenged now? But no, the book says mentally ill not handicapped. I thought the reason why he went to the "bad place" was obvious from the beginning, I thought what Tiffany was doing was also obvious when it started. I wish more of the book was about his relationship with her while they were training for the dance, the author goes in great detail about the Eagles to the point where its beyond what the reader needs to know, but this part is rushed through. I did enjoy the ending, it is probably the only redeeming part of the book that makes it worth the buy. Finally, I don't understand how people find the book funny, Pat is obviously struggling throughout most of the book and kind of delusional, it's sad, not funny. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |

Quick, Matthewprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.
Please do not combine this entry for the book with the movie of the same name!

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,624,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible