The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Matthew Quick, Ray Porter (Reader)

Member:lovemybooks
Title:The Silver Linings Playbook
Authors:Matthew Quick
Other authors:Ray Porter (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read in 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (2008)

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

The book was well told, and although I found the book took a different turn than what I was expecting, I was surprised at some elements of the book, but it was a good read in the end.

The characters, were well done, some were difficult to like, but they were all realistic and complimented each other nicely. Nikki was a character that was incredibly well done, and I wish I could have learned more about her. While she had an important part in the book, most of her remains a mystery, and I would have liked to see her struggles brought out in the open more.

Initially I didn't like how the narrative was written, but by the end of the book, I think it was rather fitting. I do wish I had known how certain events turned out in the beginning, as I think it would have given me a different outlook on the story and Pat - especially considering on how the narrative is written and how Pat tells his story.

I think the author shows the reader the struggles of mental illness, and how it affects the person and those around them wonderfully. He doesn't hold back and shows both the negative and positive reactions and how the families and friends around a person deal with a person's illness, as they interact with them. I think that how the author wrote this into the story, was probably one of my favourite aspects of it.

Overall, it wasn't exactly what I had expected from the book, but it's one that's well worth reading.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Review - Silver Linings Playbook ( )
  bookwormjules | May 24, 2014 |
it was slow at first but very interesting. I'm glad that I stuck with it and finished. Ended up being better than I thought it would be. I really felt for Pat through the whole book ( )
  i_devour_books | May 22, 2014 |
So, so freshly written. So, so hard to put down. Told through journals, letters, and flashbacks, Matthew Quick slowly unpeels layer after layer from around Pat, slowly revealing the heart and soul of this man, a 30-something struggling with mental illness; buoyed by an unwavering belief in optimism, God's plan, and silver linings; fixated on reuniting with his wife Nikki just as soon as "apart time" is over; endlessly working on his physique with hundreds of stomach crunches, lifts, and long runs; and caught in the radar of another mentally unstable soul, Tiffany, who pursues him only to find out that he's consumed with his future reunion with his wife. What Pat doesn't see, though, is that he's part of Tiffany's plan as well. How these two reconcile a relationship is deeply satisfying and utterly unpredictable. If I say much more, it will give too much away. Suffice it to say, they log a lot of miles running together and eat a lot of raisin bran. As a reader, we are hearing everyone always telling Pat that Nikki is never coming back and we don't know anything of the whys or even how Pat came to stay so many years in the "bad place" with a huge gap missing from his memory. We just know that he's a character to root for, to cheer for, to laugh with, and to cry with. Even if there is something about him - a violent, unpredictable force - that frightens us to the core.

Don't be the one who misses this book, even if you have seen and been swept away by the movie. This story, told through the unique voice of Pat Peoples, will stay with you long after you put down this powerful novel. Highly recommended, and a must read for Philadelphia Eagles fans especially. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
It took me a quite a while to read through this one. Not because it was bad, just because it didn't end each chapter on a cliffhanger of any sort. Also, the narrator has a strange way of writing that makes you feel like he is a child at times rather than a full grown man. I found this a little off-putting at times. However, once I got past all that, I really enjoyed this book. The characters all seemed realistic and very human. The story revolves a lot around the narrator's relationship with his father and their love of football. The book mentioned football a little too much for my tastes, but a football fan may enjoy some of the trivia and tidbits in there. I most liked the love story between Pat and Tiffany, two broken people dealing with different life difficulties and struggling with bipolar disorder and depression, respectively. For those that have seen the movie, the book and the movie are *very* similar with just a few differences. I liked the book better than the movie though, because I felt the ending was more satisfying. ( )
1 vote AlbinoRhino | Mar 21, 2014 |
This is a beautiful book.

It reads a bit like 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' but it's not like that. This book is about the love of family and friends and what it takes to deal with mental illness or brain-damage. ...and what that MEANS to those people suffering from such afflictions.

Whichever reviewer simply stated 'This book ruins the endings to classic literature.' Should not be taken into account when deciding to read this. (I almost DIDN'T read this because of that review!) the protagonist BRIEFLY discusses 'The Scarlett Letter', 'The Bell Jar', and 'Catcher in the Rye'. Don't let that be the reason you don't read this! ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:29:03 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible