The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Matthew Quick, Ray Porter (Reader)

Member:lovemybooks
Title:The Silver Linings Playbook
Authors:Matthew Quick
Other authors:Ray Porter (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read in 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (2008)

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in style, both of these charming novels feature protagonists trying to do what's right (and figure out what that might be). The books are upbeat, funny, and moving by turns, and it's easy to relate to the characters.… (more)
    The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

loved
-he doesn't ever feel the war that goes on in my chest every single fucking day-the chemical explosions that light up my skull like the Fourth of July- ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
loved
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I had a great time reading this book. I'm not saying it's perfect, or that I didn't want to smack Pat at certain points, but I didn't want to put this book down and I just wanted to keep on feeling happy, or sad, or anything that the book had me feeling in between. Definitively a lovely book! ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
All I wanted to do was read this book. It was written in such a wonderful manner that I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. I hear the movie is just as good as the book although there are a lot of differences. I had no use for Pat's father as he was mean and quite unlikeable. Played by Robert Deniro in the movie, he is not portrayed this way.
Now off to Redbox to get the DVD. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
I had watched the movie before reading the book and enjoyed it very much. As for the book, I think it's even better than the movie. This writer was successful in putting you right into the mind of a person who is struggling and surviving mental health issues. I absolutely loved his Mom, his therapist, and his brother. In the movie, Robert Deniro portrays his father and gives this character a fleshed out sometimes caring and warm personality. In the book, his father is more one dimensional and detached, with only a few moments where he acted with consideration. Most of the time his father is just a clueless emotionally shut down jerk. Eagles football is much more prominent in the book. I very much liked how it advanced the story and interjected levity. The dance "competition" is in the book, and it brought tears to my eyes, as did many parts of the story. As movies tend to do, the end is wrapped up nicely into a bow for you. Although I do like the ending of the book, it is somewhat differently handled. If you liked the movie, I highly recommend reading the book. If you never saw the movie, I still highly recommend reading the book. ( )
  Likeitorlumpit | Dec 3, 2016 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.
Please do not combine this entry for the book with the movie of the same name!

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:39 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,742,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible