The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Matthew Quick, Ray Porter (Reader)

Member:lovemybooks
Title:The Silver Linings Playbook
Authors:Matthew Quick
Other authors:Ray Porter (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read in 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (2008)

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in style, both of these charming novels feature protagonists trying to do what's right (and figure out what that might be). The books are upbeat, funny, and moving by turns, and it's easy to relate to the characters.… (more)
    The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

I picked this up because I surprisingly enjoyed the movie. Of course, this being the source material, the book was far more enjoyable. Pat's character was fleshed out even further - I really felt the reasons behind his actions. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
I won this book in a contest - otherwise I would have probably not even selected it. Even just from the name, the blurb and the cover I could tell that it wasn't targeted me. So I let it sit on my shelf for a year.. Until I decided that hey - I can't just leave it there. Maybe it WILL teach me something about optimism.. Can't say before you try, I guess?

So I can't say it was bad, but.. The book was incredibly simplified. This book is made out to be something amazing, but honestly - I don't see why. Good marketing?
One thing I failed to see is where is this promised optimism here. The book tells us a sad and predictable story of a unreliable narrator - a person who has suffered emotional trauma and spent several years in a mental hospital, and despite that, is still in full denial of everything that happened (not that he even remembers what did happen). What is said to be optimism here seems to me to be plain old lying to oneself (the character keeps talking himself into believing that his wife will return to him when it's obvious that no such thing will happen from page 1). And if that's supposed to uplift me or inspire me - hell, I don't know. I don't feel like flat out lying to oneself is a good self-help technique.

Other than being totally predictable, this book was just sad (and bordering on Coelho-esque wisdom). The very idea that some people think this to be uplifting makes me feel even worse. I'd rather face the truth than lie to myself and pretend I'm being optimistic. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
If you’ve seen the movie you still want to read this book even though it lacks the movie’s drama and Robert DeNiro’s performance. Less about the dance competition and DeNiro’s character sharpens the focus on Pat, his family, friends, and Tiffany. Instead of the feel good story of the movie this is more a story about the understanding that grows between two damaged people. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
This novel was an enjoyable read, full of human behavior and family ties.
Pat,was a normal person but not a perfect husband only in his wife's eyes. Some situations lead them away, Pat's wife to a new life and Pat, to a mental health institution.
Well, then years go by and Pat forgets all the bad incidents and is too much in love with his wife (ex-wife). Then comes Tiffany and slowly realization of what happened and what's happening.

It was a good read or I can say an entertaining read. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Enjoyed this very much. The film adaptation was actually fairly close, especially the dialogue. I actually like the film's ending better, but this book was great. ( )
  ajsteadman | Apr 20, 2016 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:39 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,130,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible