The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Matthew Quick, Ray Porter (Reader)

Member:lovemybooks
Title:The Silver Linings Playbook
Authors:Matthew Quick
Other authors:Ray Porter (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read in 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (2008)

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

I loved the book and the movie! It will make you laugh and cry at the same time! The Silver Linings Playbook is the poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal. In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Couldn't finish this, dreadful ( )
  Alirob | Nov 14, 2014 |
Utterly Charming. Beautifully written and full of emotion, Matthew Quick pulls you in and find yourself not wanting it to end. I haven't seen the movie, (I tend to read the book if possible before) but am now looking forward to it! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
Empathy. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
The book was well told, and although I found the book took a different turn than what I was expecting, I was surprised at some elements of the book, but it was a good read in the end.

The characters, were well done, some were difficult to like, but they were all realistic and complimented each other nicely. Nikki was a character that was incredibly well done, and I wish I could have learned more about her. While she had an important part in the book, most of her remains a mystery, and I would have liked to see her struggles brought out in the open more.

Initially I didn't like how the narrative was written, but by the end of the book, I think it was rather fitting. I do wish I had known how certain events turned out in the beginning, as I think it would have given me a different outlook on the story and Pat - especially considering on how the narrative is written and how Pat tells his story.

I think the author shows the reader the struggles of mental illness, and how it affects the person and those around them wonderfully. He doesn't hold back and shows both the negative and positive reactions and how the families and friends around a person deal with a person's illness, as they interact with them. I think that how the author wrote this into the story, was probably one of my favourite aspects of it.

Overall, it wasn't exactly what I had expected from the book, but it's one that's well worth reading.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Review - Silver Linings Playbook ( )
  bookwormjules | May 24, 2014 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:29:03 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,323,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible