The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Matthew Quick, Ray Porter (Reader)

Member:lovemybooks
Title:The Silver Linings Playbook
Authors:Matthew Quick
Other authors:Ray Porter (Reader)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc. (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read in 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (2008)

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

I saw the movie before reading this book. I now want to see the movie again so I can actually decide which one I like better. I enjoyed this book.

You have Pat Peeples that has just come out of a mental facility (the bad place). According to Pat this is his movie. He has been in the bad place for a few years and doesn't realize it. Pat wants to end apart time from Nikki.

You also meet the odd Tiffany. She also has a mental problem. Tiffany becomes Pat's friend and tells him things that others are afraid to tell him. She is brutally honest at times. ( )
  crazy4reading | Mar 6, 2015 |
I loved the book and the movie! It will make you laugh and cry at the same time! The Silver Linings Playbook is the poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal. In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Couldn't finish this, dreadful ( )
  Alirob | Nov 14, 2014 |
Utterly Charming. Beautifully written and full of emotion, Matthew Quick pulls you in and find yourself not wanting it to end. I haven't seen the movie, (I tend to read the book if possible before) but am now looking forward to it! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
Empathy. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:29:03 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible