The Silver Linings Playbook [movie tie-in…

The Silver Linings Playbook [movie tie-in edition]: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Matthew Quick

Member:labwriter
Title:The Silver Linings Playbook [movie tie-in edition]: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Quick
Info:Sarah Crichton Books (2012), Edition: Mti, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Books read in 2013, 2010 fiction, Fiction, Your library
Rating:***1/2

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (2008)

Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Despite differences in style, both of these charming novels feature protagonists trying to do what's right (and figure out what that might be). The books are upbeat, funny, and moving by turns, and it's easy to relate to the characters.… (more)
    The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison (melissarochelle)
    The Ha-Ha by Dave King (terran)
    terran: About a brain-damaged Vietnam vet who cannot speak or write and has a romantic attachment to his high school girlfriend

I read this novel in one day as it was well paced and a compelling story of mental illness issues, romance, and extreme behaviors. I have not seen the movie and I may find it interesting how the movie may have changed certain elements for the sake of telling the story on film in 2 hours rather than reading the diary, and the letters that took me about 4 or 5 hours of pleasure. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
I guess I'll give it a 2 because it picked up at the end enough to make me be like 'okay, i'm glad that finally happened.' But If the end hadn't picked up, I would have been a solid one.

Firstly, if i wanted to read a book about football, I would have read Football for Dummies. There were literally times when the entire chapter was about football. I don't watch sports; football is one thing that simply cannot stand AT ALL. i don't watch it and i don't want to read about it. Secondly, Pat was whiny. Yeah, terrible things happened to him but he was too whiny for me. Third, the book was too repetitious. There were chapters when the same things from the previous chapter happened again...and again... and again. It was boring the first time, really boring the second time...by that point... I just wanted to skim over parts that were exactly the same because there was no change from chapter to chapter. I stuck through it though.. just in case some epiphany happened. It didn't.

The only redeemable part was Tiffany. I really liked her.

To me, this book was poorly executed. The story had potential but just fell flat. I don't get why everyone is so 'ohh' & 'ahh' over it. Incredibly boring in lots of parts, super repetitious, and just over blah. If I could could summarize this book in one word it would be 'meh.' It picked up at about page 240. So yeah. 40 really good pages out of 280 ? I don't think so. I wanted to read this book because I want to see the movie (I must read a book before I watch the movie. it's a rule.) Now, I don't even want to see the movie. I think I'll pass. ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
Pat Peoples has just come home from “the bad place”. He is doing everything he can to give his life a happy ending and just does not understand why his family and friends refuse to talk about his beloved wife Nikki. He understands that something happened and he is doing his best to make “apart time” be over. Pat is on a rigorous training routine to make his body physically fit for Nikki. He is trying to cope with being haunted by Kenny G. He is dealing with an apparent stalking by his best friend’s sister-in-law. He is cheering for his beloved Philadelphia Eagles and trying oh-so-hard to be good. Why is everyone trying to make him think about things too?

Mr. Quick has written an amazing book. In an entertaining, well-written and kind way he has given his readers an insight into mental illness. Pat is definitely troubled and trying very hard to heal but the impact of mental illness goes so much further than Pat. It affects everyone around him as well. This is his story, but also the story of all the people around him. I have not seen the movie so do not know if it does the book justice, but the book was wonderful. Although very different style and content, this book reminded me a little bit of A Beautiful Mind with the awe and pride I felt for both of the main characters at the end of their stories.

I listened to this book on audio and have to give credit to the reader, Ray Porter. He gave Pat Peoples a wonderful voice with which to tell his story.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
EDIT: Febrero 2015.

(Fuente)

Reseña Original: Agosto 2013

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
I was pretty disappointed by The Silver Linings Playbook. Like many people, I wanted to read it after hearing how good the movie was and I have to say now is that I hope the movie is loosely base on the book and better. Not once did the author say that Pat Peoples was bipolar, just that he had a mental illness, so I blame myself for letting information about the movie influence my opinion of the book because for most of the book I thought he was suppose to be bipolar and it wasn't an accurate description of it but he isn't just some kind of mental illness that the readers are not told. Pat didn't always have this mental illness either so it is something that is newly effecting him. With that said I disliked how his character thought and talked, almost like he was a pre-schooler, which led me to believe maybe he's mentally challenged now? But no, the book says mentally ill not handicapped. I thought the reason why he went to the "bad place" was obvious from the beginning, I thought what Tiffany was doing was also obvious when it started. I wish more of the book was about his relationship with her while they were training for the dance, the author goes in great detail about the Eagles to the point where its beyond what the reader needs to know, but this part is rushed through. I did enjoy the ending, it is probably the only redeeming part of the book that makes it worth the buy. Finally, I don't understand how people find the book funny, Pat is obviously struggling throughout most of the book and kind of delusional, it's sad, not funny. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
For Alicia -- la raison
I don't have to look up to know Mom is making another surprise visit.

Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.

When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G.

There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition.

An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.

The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.

When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.

In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:39 -0400)

During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,419,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible