Cyndere's Midnight: A Novel (The…

Cyndere's Midnight: A Novel (The Auralia Thread) (edition 2008)

by Jeffrey Overstreet

Member:kkunker
Title:Cyndere's Midnight: A Novel (The Auralia Thread)
Authors:Jeffrey Overstreet
Info:WaterBrook Press (2008), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Christian fiction, fantasy

Cyndere's Midnight by Jeffrey Overstreet

I received The Ale Boy's feast (4th in the series) in the Early Reviewers. Because it is the 4th in the series I decided I wanted to read the ones before it. So while I read all 4 books directly after each other I'm going to review all 4.

The first book is Auralia's Colors. I only sort of liked this first book. While a lot of the descriptions were quite lovely I found it a bit shallow. It was only meh.

The second book is Cyndere's midnight. As I read this one I realized how wrong I was about Auralia's colors. The author has in no way created a shallow world. The farther I got into the story the more impressed I was at how he dropped subtle tid-bits into the first book that were developed more in the second book. Here I began to truly develop an attachment to the characters and their stories and struggles.

The third book is Raven's Ladder... again, I was floored at how complex and compelling this story has become. The history and myth of everything evolves in such an organic way. The characters define themselves more and more as the story goes along. It's like I got to know them as one would in real life... not how many stories are where everything is laid out before you right away. I never would have believed as I was reading Auralia's colors that this story could become so rich and complex.

And finally is the ale boy's feast. The conclusion of the books... not necessarily the conclusion of the story. (Which I always love.) 80 pages from the end I had no idea how the author was going to give me the satisfying ending that I wanted. I had so many questions that needed to be answered, I was terrified I was going to be massively disappointed that he has created bit off more than he could chew and he had tangled this story so tightly that there was no way he could connect all the pieces back together in the end... well I should have known... it was perfect. Beautiful even.

I loved these books. It was a rich, compelling, suspenseful, beautiful, and enlightening world. I'm happy I was able to spend some time there.

I'm glad I know how Krawg's story ended. :) ( )
  kcpavlik | Jun 2, 2011 |
For Anne,

Once upon a time, there was a beauty and there was a beast.

Thank you for being a patient, perceptive, inspiring beauty, while we wrestled this beast to the ground.
A magnificent viscorcat paws at the trunk of the coil tree, yearning for a summer sun spot up in the branches, his black fur glossed from grooming.

When a murderous beastman discovers the art of Auralia's colors something awakens within him. When a widowed heiress risks everything to help him, their lives, and the lives of a Kingdom, hang in the balance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,949,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible