Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

The Way of Shadows (2008)

by Brent Weeks

Series: The Night Angel Trilogy (1)

3,5351112,244 (4)1 / 109
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Kassilem)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (simon211175)
    The Blade Itself (The First Law: Book One) by Joe Abercrombie (ghilbrae)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: A fantasy epic that while not dealing with magic still is reminiscent of the inner workings of a political structure.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Norwegianbear)
    Norwegianbear: if you are into "Assassin" fantasy stuff
    The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (generalkala)
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.

English (106)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (111)
This is a long book that jumps around some throughout. A lot of the time the jumping around is confusing, but it ends up coming together very nicely. I think that the first book was just the mandatory back story to understand the next two books(not 100% on that since i just started the 2nd book). Overall though i think it is a great read especially with how amazing the end of the book is. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
It's a great concept for a book and it starts well, with a young, starving street rat who lives in the slums and his ascension into an apprenticeship as an assassin. There is fantastic world-building and characters who are morally torn and under great emotional strain that helps in connecting with such a bizarre life-path. Especially the main character, Azoth/Kylar, who now is able to live to adulthood though with regrets. And Durzo Blint, his mentor, is also not a great guy but knows how to survive in a difficult world.

About halfway through, though, it got bogged down into too many kingdoms, too much palace intrigue, without an early explanation or history of who these additional rulers are. I kept looking for a glossary or some coherency in these chapters; suddenly those kingdoms are there, and rulers are dividing up the city? or kingdom? I'm not really sure. So I ended up sending it into the wild for other readers. ( )
  threadnsong | Oct 24, 2018 |
I'm being generous in giving this a three star rating, mainly because the beginning of the story was actually rather good. Unfortunately, that doesn't last long. This story plays on every Fantasy trope out there. It spends too much time on graphic death scenes, and not nearly enough time on actual world building. It treats women like weak minded pawns, whose sole purpose is to either die violently or be love interests, to advance the plot. Or what little plot there is.

I love Fantasy. Nothing makes me happier than to get lost in a new world, with new rules, and hopefully with some magic. I need guidance though. The author needs to care as much about their world and the characters as I do. Weeks didn't make me feel like he was invested. So I never felt invested. Things moved along quickly enough that I finished this, but just barely.

So three stars for a strong start and an okay finish. I don't think I'll be moving on to the other books in this series. ( )
  roses7184 | Sep 25, 2018 |
I just really enjoyed this book. It is pure and classic fantasy. Not very sophisticated, but very very enjoyable, especially since I have a thing for training stories and an out-of-the-ashes arc. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
It took some time to warm up and for me to like the characters (a few hundred pages) BUT I enjoyed the story enough to stick with it and it payed out. This was very good storytelling. I end up liking our main character.
I am not 100 % sure I like all of the Epilogue but what an ending.
Defiantly a recommendable book!
It have kept me up reading into the early morning hours more then once and even the start where I didn't feel anything for our main guy held my interested over a boring ferry ride where there was no end of the distractions.
If I had felt more for the protagonist earlier this would be a 5 star book - but lets face it takes some time for him to become the protagonist but the start of the book do make the rest of the book so much stronger. ( )
  macthekat82 | May 26, 2018 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, Confidante, companion, best friend, bride. They're all for you.
Azoth squatted in the ally, cold mud squishing through his bare toes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033677, Mass Market Paperback)

For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist.

For Azoth, survival is precarious. Something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums, and learned to judge people quickly - and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.

But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics - and cultivate a flair for death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

Determined to escape the Warrens, Azoth seeks out Durzo Blint, the city's most ruthless assassin, to persuade him to take him on as an apprentice and to teach him the deadly Way of Shadows.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible