dismiss

The Way of Shadows (2008)

by Brent Weeks

Series: The Night Angel Trilogy (1)

3,9211172,161 (4)1 / 114
For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist, his talents required from alleyway to courtly boudoir.For Azoth, survival is precarious, something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums and learned to judge people quickly-and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics-and cultivate a flair for death.… (more)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Kassilem)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (simon211175)
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (ghilbrae)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: A fantasy epic that while not dealing with magic still is reminiscent of the inner workings of a political structure.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Norwegianbear)
    Norwegianbear: if you are into "Assassin" fantasy stuff
    The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (generalkala)
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.

English (112)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (117)
What was it, really?

It felt like the author read some fantasy series recently, and getting inspired from that he started his own series. So far so good, but when the books he has read starts leaking into his writing - plots, twists and all, then his book feels like reading a cut-pasted novel made by a great reader of fantasy genre.

Rating this 3/5 only from pity - this half baked book isn't really worth it. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
My review is taken from my website at the Geekdom Gazette

First and foremost I have to say that I very much enjoyed this book. To me it seemed very fresh and with characters that you genuinely feel for.

To say that this is a coming of age story wouldn't be a falsehood but it wouldn't really be honest either. This is a story of a young boy thrust into adulthood at a young age and given difficult and impossible choices to make.

The main protagonist is Kylar Stern, a young boy on the streets fighting to stay alive. After much struggle and hardship he is taken on as the apprentice of legendary wetboy (basically an assassin with magic, but if he heard you call him that you would not be alive to tell anyone)Durzo Blint. He is taught to survive and to kill. Ultimately he is faced with the decision to be the man he was chosen to be or the man he chooses to be.

I could not put this book down. It was very engaging from start to finish. Just when you think you have something or someone figured out the author blows your mind with something completely unexpected. The magic is very cool and fresh. There are different kinds of magic and each one has its own flare to it. The action scenes are written very well and have a very real feel to them. I liked reading about all of the characters, I didn't dread seeing anyone's point of view. He is very good at writing strong female characters, I loved Momma K.

I haven't enjoyed a novel this much in some time. I would recommend this novel to all fans of the genre. Mr. Weeks has thoroughly impresed me and I look forward to completing the series and reading future works from him. Well done sir, well done! ( )
  maybe_a_wizard | May 22, 2020 |
3 and 1/2 ( )
  Loryndalar | Mar 19, 2020 |
This book was extremely hard to get into. I found the beginning to be really slow and as such I didn't listen to this book for large stretches of time. There's another problem with the audio version. There's a few passages where the lead essentially flashes back to previous times in the story and the text is identical (or nearly so) for large portions of these flashbacks. It makes listening to the audio version very annoying since it seems like there's an audio problem.

This book fits with the current trend of fantasy books that are very long and many different side plots. I think I've become very tired of this since it often comes across as unnecessary complication. There are some side characters with their own plot lines where very little happens until they intersect back with the main plot at the end.

All this said, the book picks up quite nicely close to the end and redeems the book for me, despite the anti-hero protagonist. Most of the characters in this book aren't particularly likeable, it's just that the leads are less objectionable than the nominal "bad guys".

I haven't decided if I'm going to bother with the others in the series. If I do, I'll be avoiding the audio version. It's not a story well suited to audio. ( )
  tjl | Jan 2, 2020 |
I thought this one, while pretty much standard fantasy, was refreshing. I enjoyed the characters quite a bit and that's what drives the entire series. The plot is good as well, but this is mostly about the characters. ( )
  Karlstar | Dec 2, 2019 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, Confidante, companion, best friend, bride. They're all for you.
Azoth squatted in the ally, cold mud squishing through his bare toes.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,893,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible