The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy)…

The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Brent Weeks

3,068981,851 (4.03)1 / 92
Member:brina243
Title:The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy)
Authors:Brent Weeks
Info:Orbit (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks (2008)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Kassilem)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (simon211175)
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (ghilbrae)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: A fantasy epic that while not dealing with magic still is reminiscent of the inner workings of a political structure.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Norwegianbear)
    Norwegianbear: if you are into "Assassin" fantasy stuff
    The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (generalkala)
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.

English (92)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Dutch (1)  All (97)
This review is written with a GPL 4.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at WordPress, Blogspot,, Booklikes & Librarything and linked at Goodreads & Mobileread by Bookstooge’s Exalted Permission

Title: The Way of Shadows
Series: Night Angel #1
Author: Brent Weeks
Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: SFF
Pages: 659
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis: Spoilers

Azoth becomes apprenticed to Durzo Blint and becomes Kyler. Magic, politics, love and death all roll into one super messy ball.

Kyler becomes the possessor of a magic ball that gives him extraordinary powers. And just as he's gaining them, he's forced to kill his master and watch his city fall to invaders. Throw in a prophet, some other magic balls, a complete godking of evil, best friend becoming king and teen love and you have this story in a nutshell.

Oh, don't forget the violence. Lots and lots and lots of violence.

My Thoughts: Spoilers

I had forgotten just how brutal this book was. It was heart wrenching to see everything falling apart for Kyler. Yes, he's successful in apprenticing under Blint, but by the end of the book, all Kyler has is his life and the life of the girl he loves. He sees, and we experience, everything else going to the pit. Friends? Dead, killed, imprisoned. Mentors? Poisoned, paupered, destroyed. It is all torn away.

The book ends on a slightly hopeful note, as the city nobles and craftsmen flee and destroy everything to deny it to the invaders. Kyler is alive, even though he died. The legend of the Night Angel has taken seed and the invaders know “something” walks the shadows. The prophet has set things in motion to stop the godking from total domination. The War has Started.

The writing definitely shows that this is Weeks' first book and is not nearly as polished as his Lightbringer series. Nothing stood out as wrong, but some things weren't just as “right” as they could have been.

To end, I thoroughly enjoyed this book again and both cheered and groaned at the triumphs and tragedies woven throughout this story. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Mar 9, 2017 |
Meh. I really wanted to like this novel. This started out with a compelling premise and interesting characters, but devolved into cardboard soap-opera melodrama by the middle. The buildup to that point was strong, with good potential, but is then seemingly thrown away. Lost interest, didn't finish. ( )
  jeddak | Jan 27, 2017 |
A young boy becomes the apprentice to the cities top wetboy [super duper assassins] and grows up. Lots of intrigue and politics and the city falls to a northern kingdom. Turns out the Wetboy had a magical item and it ends up bonding with the apprentice, allowing him to become the next Night Angel, a creature that is a balance to 6 other magical creations.

It was a bit brutal and graphic. I'll be reading the next 2, but have no desire to own them. Really well written for a first novel though. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It took a little while to understand the world of this book. I had to restart a number of times, but the perserverance paid off in the end. Looking forward to more set in this world. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I had trouble getting into this book at first and I'm not sure why. Once I was into it, the pages flew by!

This is the story of Azoth and his path to becoming an assassin being taught under the great Durzo Blint. The world is dark and gritty, full of horrible people and people who are just trying to get by. I felt most of the characters were well written, and I never got bored while reading it (after it pulled me in).

It is not exactly breaking new ground, but I wasn't offended by any cliches to be found here. It is a bit cheesy, but sometimes that's what you want to read. Not everything I read has to be "literature" or and "important" book. :)

I liked all the main characters and was engaged the whole time with all of their separate parts, as I said I was never bored.
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, Confidante, companion, best friend, bride. They're all for you.
Azoth squatted in the ally, cold mud squishing through his bare toes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033677, Mass Market Paperback)

For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist.

For Azoth, survival is precarious. Something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums, and learned to judge people quickly - and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.

But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics - and cultivate a flair for death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

Determined to escape the Warrens, Azoth seeks out Durzo Blint, the city's most ruthless assassin, to persuade him to take him on as an apprentice and to teach him the deadly Way of Shadows.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible