The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy)…

The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy) (edition 2008)

by Brent Weeks

2,299None2,800 (4.07)76
Member:brina243
Title:The Way of Shadows (The Night Angel Trilogy)
Authors:Brent Weeks
Info:Orbit (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 688 pages

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks

1 (6) 2009 (11) adventure (7) assassins (86) Brent Weeks (9) dark (8) dark fantasy (12) ebook (28) epic (9) epic fantasy (14) fantasy (423) fiction (102) goodreads (8) Kindle (28) magic (42) Night Angel (37) Night Angel Trilogy (52) own (8) paperback (12) read (29) read in 2012 (7) science fiction (9) series (23) sff (15) speculative fiction (8) to-read (77) trilogy (8) unread (19) Weeks (6) wishlist (7)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Kassilem)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (simon211175)
    The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (elwen)
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: A fantasy epic that while not dealing with magic still is reminiscent of the inner workings of a political structure.
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Master apprentice relationship between assassins and saboteurs. Heavy political ramifications, intrigue and deception/disguises, magic is present but not all encompassing. Note: Way of Shadows much darker than Luck in the Shadows.
    The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (generalkala)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Norwegianbear)
    Norwegianbear: if you are into "Assassin" fantasy stuff

English (70)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Icelandic (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (76)
Absolutely one of the best books I've ever read... before I finished, I ordered the rest of the trilogy. An epic in the tradition of George R.R. Martin, with twists in the plot that keep you turning the page. This is one of those books where you really think you know what will happen and sometimes that IS exactly what happens. And then you turn the page and... well, no one is safe, and everyone has secrets. And secrets about the secrets.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the sequels in the post, and looking forward to more from Brent Weeks. ( )
  reckshow | Jan 21, 2014 |
This isn't a terrible book, but there's only so long I could leave it sitting around half-read before admitting I just wasn't interested in finishing. It felt like Mistborn (one of my favorite recent books) with all the fun sucked out of it, and Mistborn isn't exactly a fun-filled book to begin with. If you like broody heroes who can't love or trust anyone and channel their pain into kicking ass, this book fits that niche nicely and has the modern tone and pacing that's been popular in fantasy books lately.

But I guess I didn't find the characters likable or relatable enough to keep my interest, and the political aspect of the plot didn't seem tied in with anything the protagonists cared about. Also I'm starting to hate the trope where the one girl the protagonist briefly knew as a kid is his love for life, regardless of whether he knows anything about her. Maybe this story eventually deconstructs that idea in some way, but the first half didn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Anyway, this series is popular and I think a lot of people would like it, I just need to move on to something I'm more eager to read.

thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
A young boy becomes the apprentice to the cities top wetboy [super duper assassins] and grows up. Lots of intrigue and politics and the city falls to a northern kingdom. Turns out the Wetboy had a magical item and it ends up bonding with the apprentice, allowing him to become the next Night Angel, a creature that is a balance to 6 other magical creations.

It was a bit brutal and graphic. I'll be reading the next 2, but have no desire to own them. Really well written for a first novel though. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
I agree with many of the more in-depth reviews. Heavily Martin influenced, but missing the grace to move as smoothly through the different kingdoms. Also, the author has a strong obsession with buggering.

Interesting start to a trilogy. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
Enjoyed the plot and world building, found the main characters intriguing, but couldn't find myself invested in the side characters and their stories. It pulled me in at the beginning, but seemed stretched out towards the middle and didn't pick back up towards the end.

I thought the author could have worked on better back story for his characters a little more. Most of them seemed to be abused in one way or another whether that be emotionally, physically or sexually. I don't mind an angsty or vengeful character, and granted that in real life shit does happen to loads of people but it seems as if most of the characters share a common trait in the abuse department. I wish he would have given some characters some light instead of shining said light on their dark pasts.

I liked the cliffhanger at the end, it sets up well for the next book in the series. ( )
  cully85 | Sep 21, 2013 |

Brent Weeksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kristi, Confidante, companion, best friend, bride. They're all for you.
Azoth squatted in the ally, cold mud squishing through his bare toes.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316033677, Mass Market Paperback)

For Durzo Blint, assassination is an art-and he is the city's most accomplished artist.

For Azoth, survival is precarious. Something you never take for granted. As a guild rat, he's grown up in the slums, and learned to judge people quickly - and to take risks. Risks like apprenticing himself to Durzo Blint.

But to be accepted, Azoth must turn his back on his old life and embrace a new identity and name. As Kylar Stern, he must learn to navigate the assassins' world of dangerous politics and strange magics - and cultivate a flair for death.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:39 -0400)

Determined to escape the Warrens, Azoth seeks out Durzo Blint, the city's most ruthless assassin, to persuade him to take him on as an apprentice and to teach him the deadly Way of Shadows.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible