Life Is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be…

Life Is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally

by Patti Digh

Recently added byCorinasQuill, dsdumpling, cougargirl1967, private library

I stopped reading this book for awhile, but am determined to clear off my 'currently reading' pile, so I started up again. There are a lot of things I like about this book, but it is hard to read. I have not done any of the exercises, because they are hard and I am not sure I want to self examine that much. My idea is to do the exercises after I have read the book as kind of Word of the Day exercise. If anything this book will drive me back to figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
This book is currently being discussed in the Laid Back Lively Ladies of the Front Range meetup.com group.
  ChandraGay | May 2, 2012 |
When Patti Digh's stepfather was diagnosed with lung cancer, she helped to care for him in his remaining 37 days of life. This experience made an impression on her and caused her to seriously consider what she would do if she only had 37 days to live. She provides 37 suggestions organized into six themes: Say Yes, Trust Yourself, Slow Down, Be Generous, Speak Up, and Love More. Each chapter includes personal stories that bring the ideas to life. For example, Carry a Small Grape may seem to be an unusual piece of advice. But when Patti relates the story of how thrilled her young daughter Tess was to find a teeny tiny grape in a bunch and how she carried it around for days, the message to appreciate the small things comes to life.

Digh also sprinkles lots of quotes from other people throughout. I love quotes and highlighted many of these including:

"Shall we make a new rule of life from tonight: Always to try to be a little kinder than necessary?" ~ Sir James M. Barrie

Each chapter also ends with a short (10-minute) reflection and an activity to try for 37 days. While I didn't do many of these on this first read through the book, there are a few that I think I will go back to - including writing a Haiku every day for 37 days. In fact, Digh even writes book reviews in Haiku. Perhaps we should adopt that practice on LT - I might be able to make it through all of the threads then. I thought I'd try it for this book:

Stories from Digh's heart
Don't wait until it's too late
Go all in each day

Although I didn't come away from Life is a Verb with any striking new revelations, these ideas - focus on what's important, connect authentically with others, appreciate the small things - are ones that I always need to be reminded of. Digh also has a blog - 37days.com - that I like a lot! ( )
1 vote porch_reader | Jan 29, 2012 |
This is a great ' dipping in book'. I am enjoying it's vitality and love the illustrations. ( )
  GillyG | Oct 19, 2010 |
I loved this book. It is the type of book that is set up so that you can read it in sections and do some of the suggested activities or read it straight through (like I did) and then go back and reread and focus on some of the activities. I will keep this on my nightstand for quite a while. ( )
  kreativiT | Apr 21, 2010 |
At some point in your life, you'll only have thirty-seven days to live. Maybe that day is today. Maybe not.

In October 2003, Patti Digh's stepfather was diagnosed with lung cancer. He died 37 days later. The timeframe made an impression on her. What emerged was a commitment to ask herself every morning: What would I be doing today if I had only 37 days left to live? The answers changed her life and led to this new kind of book. Part meditation, part how-to guide, part memoir, Life is a Verb is all heart.

Within these pagesenhanced by original artwork and wide, inviting margins ready to be written inDigh identifies six core practices to jump-start a meaningful life: Say Yes, Trust Yourself, Slow Down, Be Generous, Speak Up, and Love More. Within this framework she supplies 37 edgy, funny, and literary life stories, each followed by a do it now 10-minute exercise as well as a practice to try for 37 daysand perhaps the rest of your life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,697,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible