Tales from Outer Suburbia (2008)

by Shaun Tan

Fifteen illustrated short stories, some humorous and some haunting, set in the Australian suburbs.

English (94)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (99)
The art is secondary to the stories in this Shaun Tan work, but it tends to be less engaging and less thought-provoking. Nevertheless, all are well-written and some are quite compelling. As is the case with many short story collections, this was a bit of a mixed bag with some fascinating art. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
Shaun Tan just breaks my heart with all of his works. They're beautiful and life affirming and unsettling and hilarious and strange and truthful.

My favourite story in this "commonplace book" might be that of the two young brothers who set off across the wilds of suburbia to find where their street directory ends. Or it might be that of the strange little foreign exchange student, the size of a salt shaker, and the "cultural differences" his temporary family learn to appreciate.

Just one of many of Tan's little pieces of magic for all ages. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
This book is a collection of short stories about what might find in a surreal suburbia. I found it to be very complex and confusing as none of the stories seemed to really go together or have any sort of connection. This book is without a doubt fantasy as there are made up characters and things that you would never see in real life.

The true treasure in this book resides in the clever illustrations. I felt this book would've been much better in the form of a more atypical graphic novel. The images and the use of magazine cut out piecing together of words was very powerful in creating images to the reader!

Overall this book is well suited for students interested in the fantasy genre...not quite my cup of tea! ( )
  ashewert | Apr 23, 2020 |
In a mix of illustrations and text, we fall right into a strange but beautiful world where water buffalos who live in the vacant lot down the street knows just what you are looking for right at that moment; and where sometimes roads ends just like it ends on the edge of the map even though you have made a bet with your brother that it can't possibly just end.

In most reviews I've read, people seem to bring up the question if this book is meant for kids or adults. To be quite honest, there's hardly anyone of any age I wouldn't recommend it to. Except perhaps babies and toddlers. But maybe I would because the illustrations are fantastic and truly brings the short stories to life.

A lot of the stories doesn't make sense, or you only vaguely understand the meaning behind them. But what I do understand is how they fill you with such an lust for adventure but at the same some sort of peace only a good but strange story can do. It's mysterious, it's funny and it's brilliant. The illustrations and the texts create something that is too captivating to resist. I wish it'd been at least one hundred pages longer; I reached the end far too quickly. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
Fantasy short-shorts, in the vein of Kelly Link, but with an emphasis on the illustrations by the author. The brevity works even if you prefer more straight-ahead SF or fantasy.

Highly recommended. ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Oct 12, 2019 |
Jurybegründung
"...Mit Geschichten aus der Vorstadt des Universums lädt Shaun Tan die Leser ein zur Begegnung mit dem Alltäglichem und mit dem Phantastischem in einer ganz eigenen fiktionalen Welt und zeigt ihnen, wie Literatur „funktioniert“. Eike Schönfeldt hat die poetische Kraft und den freundlich-optimistischen Ton von Tans Texten überzeugend ins Deutsche übertragen und uns die Erzählungen in ihrer ganzen Schönheit zugänglich gemacht."

Contains

To Paul, (who always enjoys a good expedition) Perth, W.A.
When I was a kid, there was a big water buffalo living in the vacant lot at the end of our street, the one with the grass no one ever mowed.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shaun Tan's book Tales From Outer Suburbia was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,822,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible