Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler

Lilith's Brood (edition 2007)

by Octavia E. Butler

Member:sturlington
Title:Lilith's Brood
Authors:Octavia E. Butler
Info:Warner Books (2007), Trade paperback
Tags:fave author, science fiction, dystopian-apocalyptic, diverse reading - women, mothers, aliens, omnibus, Xenogenesis sequence, African American, read in 2007

Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (jlparent)
    jlparent: Although not hard sci-fi like Lilith's Brood - this is Butler's most popular work and is a great read!
    The Host by Stephenie Meyer (infiniteletters)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
An amazing read. I don't know how I've lived this long without reading Octavia Butler ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
Good story and lots of meaty material for thought. Themes of freedom (and lack of) run throughout, colonialism and personal responsibility. Really good, highly recommended. ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |
Great book. It has 3 books in one. I really like the way Octavia Butler writes, it was a great book. ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
Solid examination in three novels of an alien takeover of humanity's future. It could be read simultaneously as a tale of horror and transcendence. 'Dawn' begins with the classic SF trope of awakening naked and alone in a strange environment, soon revealed to be an alien spaceship. Alien abduction, yes, but also alien rescue, from a vaguely described Doomsday catastrophe that humans had unleashed on themselves. Dawn is primarily about Lilith coming to terms with the Oankali, her alien captors, their goals for her in creating a future genetic blending of humans and aliens, and her relationships with other humans. As with Survivor, a book Butler disowned but which I quite liked, sex is elemental bonding force, but Lilith is doomed to be largely an outsider. 'Adulthood Rites' and 'Imago' continue the outsider themes with two of her offspring of this new Oankali-human blend. Both books are fine but suffer a bit from the similarity of main character. Each is a prototype of the next step in Oankali-human evolution, each is thereby isolated from both sides, each tres to preserve some element of original humankind, but each also subjugates humans to their will as need be. If you wanted to read these as biographies of monsters, you could. The power of Butler's writing is that she allows no simple interpretations of who is right or wrong here. Recommended. ( )
1 vote ChrisRiesbeck | Jan 15, 2016 |
My personal favorite sci-fi trilogy. I have reviewed the individual volumes separately:

- Dawn
- Adulthood Rites
- Imago

Mind blowing, thought provoking, thrilling stuff. (Plenty more hyperbole in the above mentioned reviews!)

One thing I particularly want to mention about the author is I love how she embraced the "science fiction author" label. Unlike some "literary" talented authors who prefer to avoid the sci-fi label she took pride in it. Certainly I agree that it is an author's prerogative how they want their works or themselves to be classified, which makes Octavia Butler's choice that much more meaningful, the photo below beautifully illustrates this point:

I wish she was still with us. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
In memory of Mike Hodel who,
through his READ/SF campaign
for literacy, sought to share
with everyone the pleasure and
usefulness of the written word.

(preceding Dawn)
To Lynn--
write!

(preceding Adulthood Rites)
To Irie Isaacs

(preceding Imago)
Alive! (Dawn)
He remembered much of his stay in the womb. (Adulthood Rites)
I slipped into my metamorphosis so quietly that no one noticed. (Imago)

Lilith's Brood is a collection of three works by Octavia Butler: Dawn, Adulthood Rites and Imago. The three volumes of this science fiction series were previously collected in the now out of print volume, Xenogenesis.

The acclaimed trilogy that comprises LILITH'S BROOD is multiple Hugo and Nebula award-winner Octavia E. Butler at her best. Presented for the first time in one volume, with an introduction by Joan Slonczewski, Ph.D., LILITH'S BROOD is a profoundly evocative, sensual -- and disturbing -- epic of human transformation.

Lilith Iyapo is in the Andes, mourning the death of her family, when war destroys Earth. Centuries later, she is resurrected -- by miraculously powerful unearthly beings, the Oankali. Driven by an irresistible need to heal others, the Oankali are rescuing our dying planet by merging genetically with mankind. But Lilith and all humanity must now share the world with uncanny, unimaginably alien creatures: their own children. This is their story...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:05 -0400)

All of humanity must share the world with uncanny, unimaginable alien creatures after war destroys Earth, in an omnibus edition containing three class science fiction novels--Dawn, Adulthood Rites, and Imago. The acclaimed trilogy that comprises Lilith's Brood is multiple Hugo and Nebula award-winner Octavia E. Butler at her best. Presented for the first time in one volume, with an introduction by Joan Slonczewski, Ph.D., Lilith's Brood is a profoundly evocative, sensual--and disturbing--epic of human transformation. Lilith Lyapo is in the Andes, mourning the death of her family, when war destroys Earth. Centuries later, she is resurrected, by miraculously powerful unearthly beings, the Oankali. Driven by an irresistible need to heal others, the Oankali are rescuing our dying planet by merging genetically with mankind. But Lilith and all humanity must now share the world with uncanny, unimaginably alien creatures: Their own children. This is their story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,260,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible