Everything Nice by Ellen Shanman

Everything Nice

by Ellen Shanman

Mike (female) loses her advertising job, and finds work teaching life skills to seventh grade girls (sounds like BS, but I could have used a few lessons in this subject). Away from the fast-paced ad biz, she learns about herself and her relationships, etc. ( )
  ennie | Apr 21, 2014 |
I take a break once in a great while and read a modern romance novel. It's junk food, alright? But this one, though it has a happy ending, has a completely different plot and trajectory than typical. There is a dark hard realistic edge to it; and Shanman works hard to make her women rounded and self-fulfilled. Good messages here. ( )
  2wonderY | Oct 26, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this. Not your typical chick lit. A fun, breezy read. Just a bit disappointed in the ending - I wanted more! :)" ( )
  curvymommy | Oct 23, 2008 |
When hot-shot advertiser Mike (Michaela) Edwards is fired, her boss tells her to try acting human at her next job. Trouble is, no one wants to work with her so there is no next job. Mike returns home to live with her father while trying to get back on her feet and finds that he's about to fire Deja, an ex-charter school teacher who thinks she's has Mike's next position sitting right in her back pocket. Too bad Mike doesn't really know what she wants - including when it comes to her best friend, Gunther. A kicky little novel with a fun protagonist, though the ending could have been a smidge more satisfying. ( )
  Elishibai | Aug 18, 2008 |
Everything Nice brings me back to my "fluff". But not so much fluff that you want to poke your eye out with a pencil. Fluff with a meaning.

I first caught wind of Everything Nice in a Shelf Awareness daily bullentin. http://www.shelf-awareness.com/. So I added it to my list of "books to read" in my palm & went looking for it when I got to work. One of the things that caught my eye wad the fact that it is a Bantam Discovery book. Two other books that have that label were The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond and My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koonman. So of course, I had to check it out.

Everything Nice is the story of Michaela "Mike" Edwards. She is the proverbial motherless child, raised by her surgeon father & kind of left to fend for herself when it comes to all things "girly". The result is that Mike has grown up to be a hard, unapproachable woman. She is a no nonense, take no prisoners star in the advertising world.

But when her mentor gets fired, Mike is the next to go. She has burned too man bridges to stand on her own without the mentor to "protect" her from the executioner.

This is when Mike's life gets interesting. She is forced to do some serious soul searching and with the announcement of her father's engagement, she realizes that some things just can't be avoided. And rather than face the disappointment of her new stepmother, she attends a job interview at an all girls school. And is completely shell-shocked when she is offered a job.

This book has everything a girl is looking for in a good "chick-lit" book. There is the life challenge, the vulnerable heroine, the rocky relationship with family, and there is even a ruggedly handsome Aussie to satisfy the Romance portion of the book.

Everything Nice is a fun book with a likeable heroine and a plot that will hold your interest. Perfect for those of you needing a break from Vampires & Werewolves. ( )
  charlotteg | Aug 7, 2008 |

In a smart, sexy, wickedly funny new novel, the acclaimed author of Right Before Your Eyes introduces an unforgettable and irresistibly real heroine: Michaela“Mike” Edwards, a woman who is forced to reinvent herself— and discovers that the biggest risk is not taking one at all….

Fiercely independent and seriously lacking in social graces, Mike Edwards doesn’t do sugar and spice. Instead she writes great copy and stays above the fray—until mishandled office politics get her unexpectedly fired. Suddenly the young ad hotshot finds herself doing the unimaginable: moving back in with her widowed father, hiding from her lecherous mentor, rethinking her entire career—and trying to unravel complex feelings for her best guy pal, an Aussie journalist named Gunther.

For Mike, a few wrenching twists of fate are leading to a job she never expected: teaching “life skills” to seventh-grade girls. But sometimes the best makeovers are the ones you never see coming. Because with a classroom full of kids who need her, a best friend who’s fast becoming something more, and a family she’s only just discovering, Mike has a few surprises in store…and she’s about to discover that going places in life doesn’t have to mean going it on your own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:59 -0400)

Fired from her advertising office job, Michaela "Mike" Edwards moves back in with her widowed father and takes a job as a middle school teacher, learning about love, life, and family in the process.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,916,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible