Heed the Thunder by Jim Thompson

Heed the Thunder (1946)

by Jim Thompson

This is not much like his later crime novels. It's a family drama with some humor and incidental crime. Some personal interest to me because part of my mother's side of the family lived near the setting during the same time. ( )
  encephalical | Aug 19, 2016 |
I saw another book by the author at library book sale and was intrigued enough by its cover to read something by him available through the library---the only ones available were by interlibrary loan. I guess I don't enjoy grubby and mean as much as I thought I might; I gave it a 38-page chance and read the end and decided not to finish it.
  raizel | Dec 13, 2009 |
"Ah, take the cash and let the credit go ..."
To Lois and Elliott McDowell
It was five o'clock when the train stopped at Verdun, and the town and the valley still lay under the gray dark of pre-dawn.

Old Lincoln Fargo has spent his life engaging in almost every vice imaginable--and his only regret is that he once stole a horse. His son Grant, a shiftless dandy with a resemblance to Edgar Allan Poe, is conducting an affair with his voluptuous and volatile cousin. And behind everyone's back, Grandmother Pearl has just signed the family property over to the Almighty.

In the literature of the American prairie, few families are as brawling, as benighted, or as outrageously vital as the Fargos of Verdon, Nebraska. And when Jim Thompson chronicles their life and times, the result suggest Willa Cather steeped in rotguut--and armed with a .45.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,691,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible