The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul Goble

The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses (1978)

by Paul Goble

I liked the book The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul Goble for many reasons. First of all, I think this book is a great example of traditional literature. It was originally passed down through oral tradition before being recorded. Second, The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses has stunning illustrations. I think the pictures in this book would really capture students’ attention. This book could be read aloud to students in kindergarten and first grade, or independently read by second graders or above. ( )
  swarnk1 | Nov 3, 2015 |
The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses, by Paul Goble. I believe this book is a good example of multicultural children's literature. The main character is a young Native American Girl who has a true fascination with horses. She would spend all day with the wild horses and watch them roam. The young girl had a deep connection with horses. One day there was a bad storm and she was lost with the wild horses away from her home but she felt like was home. The young girl years later returned to the village but would always leave again to roam with the wild horses. The book is based during the time and age when buffalo roamed free and wild across the plains. The book explains how the Native Americans depended on the wild horses to help follow the herds for food and basic survival. The illustrations clearly represent the Native American culture and dress during this time frame and even describes what the Native Americans lived in (tepees).
Personal Reaction:
At first I didn’t think this book would be very good; however I ended up loving it. The author and illustrator does very when it comes to explain and describing what the Plains Indians culture was like. I think this book is one that is worth buying and keeping in a classroom.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.The teacher could read this book and then due a brief study on the Plains Indians.
2. The students could create their own story based on a time they felt a deep connection with someone or something.
3. Students could each create a 3-D diorama of what the terrain looked like during that specific timeframe with the nature materials they find around. (rocks, sand, grass)
  KayleeClaunch | Oct 28, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book for various reasons. Firstly, when I saw this book’s cover I immediately had to reread it because I remember that this book was one of my favorite books when I was a child. The colors and art in the book are very distinct and also help to make this book even more culturally informing. The clothing and settlements of the Native American people were depicted in such a beautiful way. As a Caldecott winner, the art in this book were extremely well done. The colors were vibrant and the feel that they gave the readers was so breathtaking. I felt as if I was memorized by the drawings and the story they depicted. As there are not that many books on Native American culture, I found that this book was extremely informative. It really showed how the Native American people were really one with their surroundings and how much they respected nature and animals. Many of the phrases in the book also showed the Native American peoples special connection with the world around them. It seemed as if the characters in story could find so much more meaning in things we take for granted such as “daybreak when the birds [are] singing about the rising sun.” Not only were they more aware and in tune with nature, but the main character even considers animals to be her family: “They are my relatives. If you let me go back to them I shall be happy for evermore.” The story focused not only on nature and animals, but also had a strong sense of family. For example, even after the main character leaves her family to live with the horses, she does not “forget her people. Each year she would come back, and she always brought her parents a colt.” All in all, I found this book very endearing and informative. It also made me very reminiscent of my childhood, as this book had been a book that I had constantly read as a child. ( )
1 vote EmilyXia | Sep 29, 2015 |
This book is about a young Native American girl, who, as the title implies, loves wild horses. She has a special affinity for communicating with them and she and the horses share a special family like bond. One day after being scared away by the storm and lost far away from home she decides to continue living with the herd and not try to return home to her tribe. This would be a good choice for a multicultural book in a classroom because it shows a new perspective into traditional Native American culture with an entertaining story. Even some students who do not share in that culture can relate to this book because of a deep love for animals or curiosity about the culture. A child’s gender or ethnicity might help them relate to this story but there is more to this book than just the fact that the main character is a Native American girl. This book does not really address an issue of equality or justice but it seems more like a historical or cultural legend. The illustrations in this book are breathtaking! I love how the pictures use deep, rich colors and cover both pages almost entirely. One concern I have with this book might be that the traditional clothing featured in the illustrations might lead readers to believe that this is currently how all Native Americans still dress. ( )
  AbbyMae | Sep 25, 2015 |
To me personally, this story was about a girl who was forced to explore out of her comfort zone and discovered a new life that she loved. She loved her family, but wanted to be with those she loved more. Eventually, she joined the ones she loved, but always carried her human family in her heart. This story can definitely be relatable to almost anyone who has spent time apart from their parents/family members and have discovered more pieces of who they are and who they want to be. I am definitely able to connect to the text because I felt that Paul Goble, the author, basically wrote my story in a different context. I was nervous of attending a university before my freshmen year, but once I settled in and discovered a new family, I didn’t want to go home every weekend and just wanted to go back to campus when I was home. I didn’t miss my parents because I didn’t love them; I didn’t miss them because they didn’t give me the chance to miss them. The main character’s parents reminded me of my mom and dad when her parents “gave her a beautiful dress and the best horse in the village to ride.” This part reminded me of how my parents bought literally everything I needed to let me live comfortably on my own. In the story, the main character’s parents agree to let go of their daughter out of love, and I think my parents did the same. Lastly, I feel that readers can find many distinct hidden meanings behind the texts and illustrations, but this lesson is what I realized the most.
I did not feel a connection with the illustrations, which is a large part of my reading experience, but they did seem to support the text well. I also was not fond of the word patterns and structures of the sentences, but I feel that i may appreciate the book more later in time. ( )
  Amy_Ko | Sep 16, 2015 |
This is a story of a Plains Indian girl who joins a band of wild horses and eventually, the story implies, becomes a horse herself. Includes full-color illustrations on each page of this engaging story.
For Bonnie who loves horses and for Janet
The people were always moving from place to place following the herds of buffalo.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689845049, Hardcover)

For most people, being swept away in a horse stampede during a raging thunderstorm would be a terrifying disaster. For the young Native American girl in Paul Goble's 1979 Caldecott-winning masterpiece, The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses, it is a blessing. Although she loves her people, this girl has a much deeper, almost sacred connection to her equine friends. The storm gives her the opportunity to fulfill her dream--to live in a beautiful land among the wild horses she loves.

With brilliant, stylized illustrations and simple text, Paul Goble tells the story of a young woman who follows her heart, and the family that respects and accepts her uniqueness. Considering how difficult it is for some communities to allow friendships to grow between people of different cultures, this village's support for the girl's companions of choice is admirable. Goble's bold paintings reflect this noble open-mindedness. The young horse fanatic of the house will joyfully add this book to his or her collection. Children are passionate people; they will relate. (All ages) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

A Native American girl grows fond of her tribe's wild horses and eventually becomes one of them, roaming happy and free.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible