The Mouse and His Child (Faber Children's…

The Mouse and His Child (Faber Children's Classics S.) (original 1967; edition 2000)

by Russell Hoban

8352517,197 (4.26)1 / 41
Two discarded toy mice survive perilous adventures in a hostile world before finding security and happiness with old friends and new.
Member:othersam
Title:The Mouse and His Child (Faber Children's Classics S.)
Authors:Russell Hoban
Info:Faber Children's Books (2000), Paperback

The Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban (1967)

The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White (themulhern)
    themulhern: Animals with characters based on their physiology and also perhaps, mediaeval legend, form an essential part of both stories.

English (24)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
A charming if odd and slightly melancholy children's book. A dancing wind-up toy, the mouse and his child are bought as a Christmas decoration but discarded once damaged. They have many adventures with animals both real and tin, but struggle to control their own destiny as they can only move if wound up by someone else. ( )
  Griffin22 | Nov 18, 2018 |
My copy has no ISBN number on covers, spine or imprint page; but this cover is linked to ISBN 0140364552
  biodiplomacy | Jun 7, 2017 |
I will never let this book go....reading it was a numinous experience. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
Satirical and dark fable about two wind-up toys. Russel Hoban was Jewish and he wrote this in the 60s. I think there is some sort of metaphor for Israel in the whole story, but I can not say what the point finally is.

This is yet another novel, like Peter Pan, in which the villain feels degraded and entrapped by his own villainy.

This is a good tale to read over Christmas, if you don't share the public and commercial enthusiasm for the season. ( )
  themulhern | Jan 5, 2017 |
saw on display in library & picked up - I'd never heard of it nor read it as a child - I do like the illustrations by Small in this edition... OK - I got to page 58 and am just not getting it. I don't know why; maybe it's because of the kinds of distractions I'm having irl right now, but anyway I'm going to take it back to the library.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |

Russell Hobanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hoban, LillianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sense of danger must not disappear:
The way is certainly both short and steep,
However gradual it looks from her;
Look if you like, but you will have to leap,

W H Auden
These pages are dedicated
to the memory of three fathers:
A.T Hoban,
Edward Lewis Wallant,
and
Harvey Cushman, under whose
Christmas tree I first saw
the mouse and his child dance.
-----------R.H.
February 1967
To Randy, my friend
to Harold, my healer
To Sarah, my soul
----------D.S
September 2001
The tramp was big and squarely built, and he walked with the rolling stride of the long road, his steps too big for the little streets of the little town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,655,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible