Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame

The Reluctant Dragon

by Kenneth Grahame

Recently added byelioxe, TonietteG, private library, soul34, Adam_Edwards, DameShauna, TLCstaff, AngelaB86

A story about a boy trying to get a shy dragon to fight with St. George. What's not to like?
  wunderlong88 | Sep 3, 2018 |
Why did I read it? I had read The Wind in the Willows when I was a child, and only recently discovered that Kenneth Grahame had authored other books, about which I was unaware. This story sounded interesting.

What's it about? Two children are following footprints in the snow, when a neighbour calls them in for warming tea, and begins to tell them the story of the friendship between a boy, and a dragon living in a cave up on the Downs.

What did I like about it? It's a very nice, old fashioned story for children. Very English.

The audio was clear, without any errors.

What didn't I like? I think I may have chosen an awful audio version to which to listen. It was a full cast production, but with American actors, and, honestly, it spoilt all the fun of the story. I think if it had been a cast with English accents, it might have been better.

Would I recommend it? Oh yes, but not this particular edition. A great bedtime story I imagine. ( )
  Sile | Jul 31, 2017 |
Of course, I had 'The Wind in the Willows' as a child. I truly wish I'd had this story as well. It's less well known - but I'm not sure why.

This is a truly wonderful story-within-a-story: two children, fancying that the snow tracks they've followed from their yard are those of a dragon, encounter a kindly neighbor, who tells them a story - of course, about a boy who meets a literarily-inclined, and unusually good-tempered dragon.

Whimsical, warm and clever. ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I promised that I have read this book somewhere, maybe once upon a time, for it is familiar but I just cannot place where.

For me the writing was bland and the characters didn't have much of a personality besides annoying, vexing and what the. And to top the flat personalities the main characters with the exception of St. George didn't have names but were called by their place in the book then given with "and that was their skill while they were good at it".

It would be interesting to see how Disney ended up re-making this to their own since I did watch a bit on Youtube. Otherwise this is one book whose easy writing and simple drawings will more than likely attract the attention of younger crowds rather than older ones. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 25, 2015 |
The seventy-fifth anniversary edition of this classic from Holiday House features an introduction from Leonard Marcus offering some interesting historical background. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

Grahame, Kennethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortnum, PeggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hague, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLaughlin, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, IngaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Richardson, I.M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shepard, Ernest H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long ago - might have been hundreds of years ago - in a cottage half-way between this village and yonder shoulder of the downs up there, a shepherd lived with his wife and their little son.

The Boy decides to pay a visit to the cave, and he thinks he knows just what to expect. But this particular dragon is not a bit like the ones in fairy tales!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

The boy who finds the dragon in the cave knows it is a kindly, harmless one, but how can he convince the frightened villagers and, especially, St. George the dragon killer that there is no cause for concern? St. George and his young friend find a dragon that is not at all like the one they had intended to slay. When a dragon is discovered up on the Downs, the Boy is not in the least surprised. He's always known the cave there was a dragon cave, so it seems only right for a dragon to be living in it. The Boy decides to pay a visit to the cave, and he thinks he knows just what to expect. But this particular dragon is not a bit like the ones in fairy… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,503,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible