Monster Hunter International by Larry…

Monster Hunter International

by Larry Correia

Skinners: Blood Blade by Marcus Pelegrimas (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another series dealing with a secret oganization battling monsters.
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (Anonymous user)
    I Left My Haunt in San Francisco by Mark Everett Stone (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are action packed stories about teams of people trained to fight monsters and ward off supernatural threats.
    In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez (jlparent)
    jlparent: Both have action/adventure and humor, same type of feel to them but storylines are fairly different. If you want a very similiar story, try Martinez' "Monster".
    The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)

English (35)  German (1)  All languages (36)
This would be a 5 star book for a certain type of reader. I have to admit I am tempted to give it 4.5, even with all the heavy action scenes and technical jargon (i.e. guns). VERY violent at times, just sayin'. As with many action-type stories, I wasn't expecting much in the way of character development, and hoped the humor of the book would be enough to carry me through. And it WAS very funny, but--bonus and surprise--I thought the emotional side of this story was one of its strengths. Good character. Good depth. Gonna read the next one for sure, even though I'm sure Larry's not going to cut back on his action scenes. Melissa, if you're reading this review, you have to read this book. I really think you'll like it. So will Robert. You'll have a whole new appreciation for Larry Correia :). ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Fun book to read, despite many predictable plot points. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jan 20, 2015 |
This is a book for a very selective audience. Probably male, loves guns, and really only cares about how well-written the action is in the book.

I had a lot of problems with the book probably because I don't fall into any of the three categories I wrote above. I don't mind male protagonists (usually I like them better then female ones because it doesn't get as stupid sappy), but this book was just dripping with testosterone. It was either fight or fuck. Oh, look, I just basically told you the entire story. Huh, fancy that.

I really, really hated the romance. I thought the author's insistence on soul-mates-at-first-sight and love was ridiculously dumb. It was a little too obvious that the entire relationship was based on how bang-able the girl was rather than any notion of a real romance. But instead we get fed a lot of crap lines about how Julie was the perfect girl for Pitt. Yeah right, real love. No freaking way when you drop a pick-up line the first time you meet. I call bull.

And can I just say how ridiculous it is for the Julie's boyfriend to actually turn out to be a wimp? There was no redeeming factor in that character besides a strawman obstacle for Pitt's romance life.

The plot was a joke. Too many "prophecies" and strange unknown powers that somehow tell Pitt where the plot should go next. Everything was too convenient. No. Also, for a specific plot point that annoyed me, the idea that the tribute had to be a Monster Hunter because they needed a "hero" is a clear contradiction. Why not a fed?

Side characters were pretty fun. I like Holly and Trip. I just wished they had more screen time. The idea of a stripper, a librarian, an accountant, and a teacher going off to kill monsters if fun. I just wish Correia put more of that fun into it. It just turned into a gun-slinging book.

I did enjoy seeing the different supernatural creatures. The elves, in particular, were fantastic to read about.

This book reads more like a B-rated action movie. A ton~ of action, a cheesy romance, little character development, and even more explosions.

Two stars because I just didn't really like the book. But I can see why people gave it such high ratings. It just didn't work for me personally because of all the emphasis on the action without regards for other aspects of the novel.
Recommended for people who love guns and action. But I'd probably recommend Glen Cook's The Black Company over this book, to be honest. Just saying. ( )
1 vote NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a 14th story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer.

It's actually a pretty sweet gig, except for one little problem. An ancient entity known as the Cursed One has returned to settle a centuries-old vendetta. Should the Cursed One succeed, it means the end of the world, and MHI is the only thing standing in his way.

With the clock ticking towards Armageddon, Owen finds himself trapped between legions of undead minions, belligerent federal agents, a cryptic ghost who has taken up residence inside his head, and the cursed family of the woman he loves. Business is good.... Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

Monsters are real... And it turns out that there is good money to be made killing them. Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:48 -0400)

"Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer. It turns out that monsters are real. All the things from myth, legend, and B-movies are out there, waiting in the shadows. Officially secret, some of them are evil, and some are just hungry. On the other side are the people who kill monsters for a living. Monster Hunter International is the premier eradication company in the business. And now Owen is their newest recruit. Business is good... Welcome to Monster Hunter International."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,300,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible