Monster Hunter International by Larry…

Monster Hunter International

by Larry Correia

Series: Monster Hunter (1)

Blood Blade by Marcus Pelegrimas (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another series dealing with a secret oganization battling monsters.
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (Anonymous user)
    I Left My Haunt in San Francisco by Mark Everett Stone (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are action packed stories about teams of people trained to fight monsters and ward off supernatural threats.
    In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez (jlparent)
    jlparent: Both have action/adventure and humor, same type of feel to them but storylines are fairly different. If you want a very similiar story, try Martinez' "Monster".
    The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
A PopLit Horror Fantasy for gun nuts. Reads like an NRA ad or gun catalog. Definitely geared to the good ole boy Charleton Heston mind set. Now I grew up with guns and know how to shoot but 5-10 page descriptions of every intricate gun detail? Boring. I have yet to decide whether I'll bother to finish reading it or not. Because while I'm good with guns and responsible gun owners, this ode to every component of every gun ever mentioned (of which there are a gazillion) totally makes my eyes glaze over. Even if I do finish, it will only be because I am and would continue skipping the many lengthy boring and unnecessary gun ads liberally sprinkled throughout. That cuts the book length down to - what? - maybe the one quarter which actually contains plot and action. Might make a nice pulp fiction novella. Call in the editors.

Free from Baen E-Library. You get what you pay for. ( )
  PitcherBooks | Apr 29, 2016 |
Pretty good, overall.
I would definitely read the remainder of the series, just not in ebook. bah.
  BunnyCates | Mar 8, 2016 |
I found this audible book a bit hard to get through, after the very full-on beginning, but I perservered and found it more readable in Part 3 when it became very exciting. Before that, so many near-misses and totally impossible narrow escapes were becoming rather tedious, as were the ovewhelming humns of praise to various and sundry types of fire power.
This was very well narrated by Oliver Wyman.
I was going to give it 2 stars, but after the finish, it's a 3.5. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
This would be a 5 star book for a certain type of reader. I have to admit I am tempted to give it 4.5, even with all the heavy action scenes and technical jargon (i.e. guns). VERY violent at times, just sayin'. As with many action-type stories, I wasn't expecting much in the way of character development, and hoped the humor of the book would be enough to carry me through. And it WAS very funny, but--bonus and surprise--I thought the emotional side of this story was one of its strengths. Good character. Good depth. Gonna read the next one for sure, even though I'm sure Larry's not going to cut back on his action scenes. Melissa, if you're reading this review, you have to read this book. I really think you'll like it. So will Robert. You'll have a whole new appreciation for Larry Correia :). ( )
1 vote KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Fun book to read, despite many predictable plot points. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jan 20, 2015 |

Larry Correiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a 14th story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer.

It's actually a pretty sweet gig, except for one little problem. An ancient entity known as the Cursed One has returned to settle a centuries-old vendetta. Should the Cursed One succeed, it means the end of the world, and MHI is the only thing standing in his way.

With the clock ticking towards Armageddon, Owen finds himself trapped between legions of undead minions, belligerent federal agents, a cryptic ghost who has taken up residence inside his head, and the cursed family of the woman he loves. Business is good.... Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

Monsters are real... And it turns out that there is good money to be made killing them. Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

"Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer. It turns out that monsters are real. All the things from myth, legend, and B-movies are out there, waiting in the shadows. Officially secret, some of them are evil, and some are just hungry. On the other side are the people who kill monsters for a living. Monster Hunter International is the premier eradication company in the business. And now Owen is their newest recruit. Business is good... Welcome to Monster Hunter International."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

56 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,756,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible