Monster Hunter International by Larry…

Monster Hunter International

by Larry Correia

Recently added byprivate library, mazelibrary, suitable1, AnnRushing, Ghostly1, DBReads, dm13
    Skinners: Blood Blade by Marcus Pelegrimas (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another series dealing with a secret oganization battling monsters.
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (Anonymous user)
    I Left My Haunt in San Francisco by Mark Everett Stone (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books are action packed stories about teams of people trained to fight monsters and ward off supernatural threats.
    In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez (jlparent)
    jlparent: Both have action/adventure and humor, same type of feel to them but storylines are fairly different. If you want a very similiar story, try Martinez' "Monster".
    The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)

Everything a book about hunting monsters should be.

I don't normally dig cthulu stuff, but this was a fun read. The swear words bothered me, so that was a negative.

I could tell exactly what was going to happen when everybody died in the swamp. And with Pitt being declared "the chosen one" of sorts. But I actually liked that, and it made the book all the more enjoyable.

I'm excited to read the next in the series. I would recommend this to anyone.

Lastly, this book is hilarious. There were several times that I stopped to read passages to Molly, and I ended up just laughing my way through. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
No, this is not typically my style of book. It is a true guy's book, full of guns and high tech weaponry and lots of blood, guts and flying limbs. Oh, and lots of monsters! The "hero" of this first book is Owen Pitts, who wakes up in the hospital after being attacked by his very unpleasant boss who transforms into a werewolf and wants to make Owen his lunch. Owen manages to take him out after a long drawn out battle on the office floor and suffers many injuries himself. He awakens in the hospital with a couple of government agents in the room with him, watching him very carefully to see if he is going to turn into a werewolf, where if he does, they plan on taking him out.

He has another visitor, who tells him if he gets tired of his current life of accountant, there is a place for him at Monster Hunter's International.

The book was entertaining and amusing. I actually enjoyed most of the cliches and puns riddled through the book, and there were only a few times that I found it annoying. The fight scenes did sometimes get a bit drawn out and I got frustrated with waiting for them to finally come to some form of end. But, I suppose the chest beaters that are literate would find them to their liking. I understand that the author is a sharp shooter and a weapons specialist, so he has at least taken the advice to write what he knows.

As I said, this is so very much NOT my standard taste in books. That said, my hat is off to the author for being able to hold my interest in this book. No, it isn't "fine" writing. He'll never get a Pulitzer or Nobel for MHI. But, it is a fun, rollicking read full of flying body parts, urban myths, custom weapons and some very cool monsters.

www.sephipiderwitch.com ( )
  sephibitchwitch | May 14, 2014 |
3.5 Really entertaining dude-lit!

??Our business is monsters. And business is booming.ƒ?

Owen Zastava Pitt was just trying to be normal. He used to be a bouncer who spent his evenings participating in illegal pit fights, but he managed to earn a CPA and became a boring accountant for a big corporation ƒ?? pension and dental benefits included. Being tall and weighing in at 300 lbs, he didnƒ??t quite look like an accountant ƒ?? and he still spent his weekends as a gun hobbyist ƒ?? but he was making progressƒ??. until his boss turned into a werewolf and Owen managed to defeat him and push him out a window on the 14th story of their office building.

That caught the attention of a covert freelance organization called Monster Hunters International. In contrast to the secret government organization that hunts monsters, MHI is a family business. The Shackleford family has selectively recruited and trained a group of highly skilled men and women who work in teams to rid the world of all sorts of dangerous supernatural creatures. Then they collect large bounties from a special government fund. Itƒ??s extremely lucrative, but extremely dangerous, too.

Owenƒ??s stature, militant upbringing, gun expertise, quick wits, and tenacity are exactly what MHI is looking for. When they send Julie Shackleford to interview Owen, he canƒ??t resist her good looks and her guns. So Owen signs up for the craziest job in the world and is soon dealing with vampires, gargoyles, ghouls, zombies, werewolves, meddling government bureaucrats, and the insects of the Deep South. He gets some help from his diverse set of MHI colleagues and the good supernaturals ƒ?? head-banging orcs, trailer park elves, and the ghost of a dead Jewish man that lives in his head.

Read the rest at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/monster-hunter-international/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Not quite as good as "Hard Magic", but I see this was the the author's first book. It is a nice light read though, like watching an action movie when you don't feel like using your brain too much. I enjoyed the humor and the action scenes are well written ( )
  bishopza | Feb 7, 2014 |
Owen had an odd childhood. His father, convinced of various end of the world scenarios, brought him up to be a solvier, a warrior and a fighter through and through. Owen had other plans. He wanted to be normal, to distance himself from all that – so he became an accountant. As normal as it was possible to be

And the plan worked. Until his boss turned into a werewolf and tried to eat him.

In the aftermath he was recruited by Monster Hunters Inc. A private company of dedicated hunters who go into the dark and blow it up. Then shoot it until it stops moving. Then shoot it some more. Then cut up the remains and burn them to ash. And they get to play with the best toys.

And never was he more needed. An ancient threat has returned, guarded by some of the mightiest vampires in the world and capable of literally destroying time itself. But they don't know where it is – or how to stop it. The only key they have is Owen, tied to monster, to try and shed some light on its plans before the world ends.

In the meantime Owen has to adapt to his new life, with his new companions, deal with daily evil – and contend with the growing antagonism of the federal government that has little time and less patience for independent monster hunters.

And of course there's a woman. She's beautiful, strong, courageous – and she's a complete expert with all kinds of firearms. What more could Owen want?

Do you ever read a book and think you've learned something about the author? Usually I get this when I read a paranormal romance with lots and lots and lots (and oh dear gods lots) of graphic sex scenes and then feel I know every last kink the author has (Laurell K Hamilton, I'm looking at you).

Well in this case I read the book and felt very very sure that the author can probably orgasm at a gun show. There is a LOT of gun facts and trivia in this book. Guns and ammo are described in loving, drooling detail at great length. And while it most certainly is very much in character, it does bog down the book in places and make you think that someone needs to tell the author that not everyone is really into the shooty things as much as he is. In general, I think this book suffers from excessive description. It's not all as bad as the gun love, but there are a lot of things that are overly described

FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a 14th story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer.

It's actually a pretty sweet gig, except for one little problem. An ancient entity known as the Cursed One has returned to settle a centuries-old vendetta. Should the Cursed One succeed, it means the end of the world, and MHI is the only thing standing in his way.

With the clock ticking towards Armageddon, Owen finds himself trapped between legions of undead minions, belligerent federal agents, a cryptic ghost who has taken up residence inside his head, and the cursed family of the woman he loves. Business is good.... Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

Monsters are real... And it turns out that there is good money to be made killing them. Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:48 -0400)

"Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer. It turns out that monsters are real. All the things from myth, legend, and B-movies are out there, waiting in the shadows. Officially secret, some of them are evil, and some are just hungry. On the other side are the people who kill monsters for a living. Monster Hunter International is the premier eradication company in the business. And now Owen is their newest recruit. Business is good... Welcome to Monster Hunter International."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,614,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible