Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov

Pnin (original 1957; edition 2004)

by Vladimir Nabokov

2,974471,925 (3.91)1 / 133
Member:zvs
Title:Pnin
Authors:Vladimir Nabokov
Info:Everyman's Library (2004), Hardcover, 184 pages
Tags:russian, usa

Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov (1957)

Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith (bertilak)
    bertilak: Smith's book is a trifle by comparison, but both deal with eccentric academics.

English (43)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (47)
Obviously rather autobiographical, this was the first Nabokov novel I ever read. Though I did not loathe it when I first read it, I was a bit confused by the satirical narration. After having read a lot of other Nabokov books, this one finally started making sense... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Charming, quirky, with a bittersweet note. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 23, 2016 |
Surprisingly, I enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure if i would like it, but Pnin grew on me. I grew to like him more and more. Good read. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
I don't know... I kind of hazily cruised through this one. I liked the character of Pnin and the depiction of Waindell but wasn't really gripped by the story. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
Nabokov must have had a lot of disdain for American academics. Actually, it seems he was disdainful of everyone involved in the insular world of humanities' departments in American universities and colleges, from ignorant undergraduate to dedicated, but inane graduate student, from lowly lecturer to chairs of departments. Not to say I didn't enjoy this book, because I did. After all, anyone who has every been in grad school in a literature and language department knows there is something quite ridiculous about the whole thing. Nabokov is an amazing writer, his way with language (not his own even!) is breathtaking, his metaphors are divine, his descriptions of the inner lives of his characters draw you in, but somehow, while I would have loved to listen in on a lecture by Nabokov, I wouldn't have wanted to be his student. Too heartless. But I am confusing Nabokov the man with the narrative voices of his novels. Incidentally, the paperback that I read had a cover illustration of the main character, Pnin, who looked suspiciously like Nabokov--but it is the 1st person/omniscient narrator who seems to be the 'mask' of Nabokov and is not only smarter, but kinder than the main character. I'm not assuming that Nabokov and the narrator are the same person, but there are hints the person narrating, who becomes part of the plot, is named Vladimir Vladimirovich, studies butterflies, is an Anglo-Russian scholar, etc., etc. Anyway, Pnin is a wonderful criticism/satire of Academia, especially those language/literature departments. ( )
  Marse | Nov 25, 2015 |

Vladimir Nabokovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bayer, A. E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthes, UrlichNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wood, MichaelAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmer, Dieter E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Véra
The elderly passenger sitting on the north-window side of that inexorably moving railway coach, next to an empty seat and facing two empty ones, was none other than Professor Timofey Pnin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:06 -0400)

Pnin is a professor of Russian at an American college who takes the wrong train to deliver a lecture in a language he cannot master. Pnin is a tireless lover who writes to his treacherous Liza: "A genius needs to keep so much in store, and thus cannot offer you the whole of himself as I do." Pnin is the focal point of subtle academic conspiracies he cannot begin to comprehend, yet he stages a faculty party to end all faculty parties forever.… (more)

187 wanted6 pay5 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183756, 0141197129

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,240,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible